Software Development Initiative

Re: Traderji, please consider these suggestions

Well thought out proposal, traderji please count me on this if we can develop a team of freelance software programmers, I can contribute in the team as a co ordinator beetween various arms of the team, please count me too, hope this good thought goes on to roll, to further discuss and personally have discussion you all are free to call at 09213996008.

Traderji

Super Moderator

So far we have murthymsr and srisara (Satya) nominated as coordinators to this project.

I personally think that it woud be best to have a couple of volunteers as coordinators to run this project. That way the work load can be shared between the two.

Any other inputs would be appreciated.

Traderji said:
As for eod stock market data I understand that one has to subscribe to the database service from the exchanges?? Does some one know more on this?
EOD Data
---------
The following EOD data can be obtained from NSE homepage for free, on a daily basis in .csv format (readily openable by Excel). No additional subscription is needed.

1. Equities Bhavcopy [Contains: NSE Symbol,Series,Open Price,High Price,Low Price, Close Price,Last Price,Previous Close Price,Total Traded Quantity,Total Traded Value for each of the scrip traded on NSE]. See http://www.nseindia.com/content/historical/EQUITIES/2006/JUL/cm06JUL2006bhav.csv to get an idea of how this looks like.

2. Derivatives Bhavcopy [Contains: Instrument Type (FUTIDX / FUTSTK / OPTIDX / OPTSTK), Underlying (NSE Symbol), Expiry Date, Strike Price (0 for Futures contracts), Option Type ('XX' for Futures contracts), Open Price, High Price, Low Price, Close Price, Settlement Price, No. of contracts traded, Contract Value (in Rs.lakhs), Open Interest, Change in Open Interest, Date]. See http://www.nseindia.com/content/historical/DERIVATIVES/2006/JUL/fo06JUL2006bhav.csv to get an idea of how this looks like.

Historical Data
--------------
All the historical bhavcopy (equity as well as derivatives) data can be downloaded in the .csv format.

In addition, historical price/volume/delivery information of every NSE symbol is available on NSE website. So is the case with all OHLC values for all indices at NSE.

Once the software development team gets started, I can extend my bit of help in downloading all the historical NSE EOD data for 2-3 years (for no cost, as long as the data from NSE is available at no cost) for use by the software development team.

Last edited:

murthymsr

sarathc said:
EOD Data
Once the software development team gets started, I can extend my bit of help in downloading all the historical NSE EOD data for 2-3 years (for no cost, as long as the data from NSE is available at no cost) for use by the software development team.
dear sarath,

thanks for the offer to extend the help to sw development.

with the co-opeation of all members, we will be able to achieve the objectives.

developers and members may be looking for the EOD data corrected for splits/bonus, symbol changes and other adjustments.

the paid data service referred may pertain to such EOD data, 1 or 5 Min intraday data and tickwise intraday live data.

developers in need of data may be contacting you and you may please provide as required.

all the best.
murthymsr

karthikmarar

Hi Murthy, Satya

This is a great initiative taken up by the forum. I am sure this project in your able hands ould comeout very successful.

Since I am not a IT person I would not be able to make much contribution excepts loads of encouragement. :)

I suggest you look into the many open source projects available free. This may make your job much easier.

Just check out the open source projects at http://ta-lib.org/hdr_lnk.html

Wishing all the success for the project.

regards

Karthik

murthymsr

karthikmarar said:
Hi Murthy, Satya

This is a great initiative taken up by the forum. I am sure this project in your able hands ould comeout very successful.

Since I am not a IT person I would not be able to make much contribution excepts loads of encouragement. :)

I suggest you look into the many open source projects available free. This may make your job much easier.

Just check out the open source projects at http://ta-lib.org/hdr_lnk.html

Wishing all the success for the project.

regards

Karthik
dear karthik,

thanks for your good wishes for the initiative. with the cooperation of the knowledgeable members like you, the iniative will surely be achieving the objectives to enhance the user experience in trading.

software is not meant for the developers. it is meant for the users.

in any sw development process, the first phase would be identifying the needs, where the user is the king.

the last stage, the user's feedbak is paramount and the project is centered around him.

and in the midle stages, again it is the knowledgeable user (domain expert) who decides what is to be done.

so, in the development process, user/domain expert is omnipresent. the IT persons' role will be limited to the design and coding.

pending formal announcement of the formation of the initiative by traderji, all users may post their requirements. small projects may be taken up first, as they have a short project time, and the product comes to user's hands very soon. this will also tone the team up to take up the bigger ones.

no software does any new things. it only does the same things very fast and with good repeatability.

so, all users, particularly non-IT persons and domain experts, please post your specific needs (feature requests), which can be compiled and projects can be identified. the requested features may also be included in the ongoing projects in the forum.

co-operation of all solicited.

murthymsr

Last edited:

If at all we want to take this to the next level.

we need to define the objective of what we want to develop and we need developers for it.
I can assist technically and help the developers resolve any problems and will also involve in design and development.

so we need firm confirmation of atleast 4-5 developers to start with.

Lets hear all the replies

Satya

Hello Friends
I have already expressed my interest in this project.
As far as my technical abilities, I don't think would be of much use as I am from the legasy side. From the open systems, I have tried my hand a bit on VBA.
If you guys can allow, I offer to taking up the tech specs preperation part.

Best Regards
Coool.

murthymsr said:
developers in need of data may be contacting you and you may please provide as required.

all the best.
Thanks a lot for your kind words! 'll be glad to help with whatever I can.