Status
Not open for further replies.
Today Nifty opened around 3% lower than the last close. I guess that's the reason behind this sudden increase in margin requirement. Volatility seems to be the prime culprit. But that's just my guess.... Don't hang Mr. Volatility yet:p

There may be some other reason... Sachin? Care to enlighten us lesser mortals?:D

Edit:
Got a SMS from Zerodha citing increased volatility in international markets to be the cause of increase in margin requirement. The margin requirement for intraday positions in futures is 50% of Total margin and not SPAN margin....
Doubts cleared... Sachin.... Ignore the post :D
SJL saheb
my question was simple.why was margin at 11:30 or so 22k and half an hour later 22.5k and by 12:45 or so it is around 13.5k.
on what basis was the margin calculated.i know i know your gyaan on volaitility, so don't start on that again,but help me in this calculation.
Care to shed some light shreemaan SJL?

Last edited:

Zerodha

SJL saheb
my question was simple.why was margin at 11:30 or so 22k and half an hour later 22.5k and by 12:45 or so it is around 13.5k.
on what basis was the margin calculated.i know i know your gyaan on volaitility, so don't start on that again,but help me in this calculation.
Care to shed some light shreemaan SJL?
Hi Rooki,

At 50% of SPAN, we as brokers would be taking a little extra risk especially when volatility is expected in the markets... The way asian markets were tanking we had expected a lot of volatility at the opening and hence were blocking 75% of total margins... But once we realized that the volatility was not going beyond a range we reduced it to 50% of total margins...

Cheers...

Zerodha

Hi,

I heard that we cannot use NSE Now application using Vodafone GPRS enabled SIM. Is that true? Which is the better Provider to use in that case.

Cheers
It has got nothing to do with the service provider... it has got to do with the mobile, java, blackberry and android phones are supported presently... Cheers...

Your doubts should have been cleared by now as Sachin has described the reason behind the sudden increase in margin requirment for Nifty futures today. This morning I faced the same problem when my orders were being cancelled due to lack of adequate funds(That's for one nifty contract:D Should give you an idea about how rich I am:p). Once I was sure that I won't be able to trade for the day, I decided to just watch how the market unfolds. Then I came across your post when I logged on to Traderji. So I just wrote what I guessed. Thought that'd be helpful in clearing a fellow trader's doubt. Wasn't too clear myself to be honest. And as far as the "Care to enlighten us lesser mortals?" line, which you seem to have taken in the wrong spirit is concerned, the joke was on me:D But if that hurt you, I sincerely apologize:eek:

And hey... Thanks for calling me Shreeman and Saheb:clapping::clapping::clapping:
hi SJL
as the name goes so does the trades.:D
so chill man,we are in the same league.
atleast today the margins are back to normal.so am back to normal;)

hyi

i am intrested in openeing an account with zerodha but have some queries which i have mentioned below :-

A) I am intrested in doing swing trading with nifty future. i will be buying or selling 4 lots of nifty future and will hold them for atleast 5 to 7 trading days and then exit out of that trade as per my plan

B) I am also looking to do intraday trade only with 4 lots of mini nifty futures. would be trying to buy and sell and then reverse my position in mini nifty future for atleast 3 to 4 times in a day

C) so my first question is can i do this in one demat account at the same time ???

D) and what would be the break even point for both (nifty future and mini nifty future) ??

E) can anyone plz tell me how to calculate the exact brokerage with taxes so that i can work on my strategy??

Done,can you please check the email and get back to me.
Thanks

Hi can you leave your client id on india@zerodha.. we will take your system on remote and check the same... you have erased something on the tool bar, are you running a different platform at the same time??? if you are doing, make sure you have atleast 1mbps internet connectivity, 2 trading platforms can kill the performance.... Leave us ur client id, we will get in touch and sort this out...

Zerodha

hyi

i am intrested in openeing an account with zerodha but have some queries which i have mentioned below :-

A) I am intrested in doing swing trading with nifty future. i will be buying or selling 4 lots of nifty future and will hold them for atleast 5 to 7 trading days and then exit out of that trade as per my plan

B) I am also looking to do intraday trade only with 4 lots of mini nifty futures. would be trying to buy and sell and then reverse my position in mini nifty future for atleast 3 to 4 times in a day

C) so my first question is can i do this in one demat account at the same time ???

D) and what would be the break even point for both (nifty future and mini nifty future) ??

E) can anyone plz tell me how to calculate the exact brokerage with taxes so that i can work on my strategy??
Yes you can do it in 1 account...

For 4 lots of nifty futures, breakeven would be around 1.93 points on nifty inclusive all taxes and charges... For 4 lots of mininifty the breakeven would be 2.25 points...
Margin required for 1 lot of nifty for intraday: around 11k , for mininifty : around 4.5k ..... Margin for overnight 1 lot of nifty : around 27k , mininifty: around 11k...

Leave us your number on india@zerodha, will mail you the brokerage calculator and also explain how to use it....

Cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.