• March 6th 2011

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • March 13th 2011

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apurv7164

Futures or Equities?

This is one question which bothers every novice trader. When one enters the market, the first thing he hears before depositing funds in the market is how margin trading can fulfill all his dreams and desires. For him, the words "Futures and Options" open the doors towards financial freedom and towards prosperity. As many have realized in the past, Futures and Options route is one of the most destructive ways to financial freedom. However, for some, it indeed is the most desirable way to participate in the market. So, why is it that Futures for some is boon and for others is curse?

I strongly believe that Psychology is far more important than Methodology. Methodology in this case includes your system and trading instrument (Futures, Equities). Hence, in most of the cases it is the trader's psychology which prevents him from participating in Futures. I have seen many well funded traders unable to take positions in Futures and at times this is nothing but psychological barrier. Just think, if you know the stock is going to behave in a certain manner, then how would it matter whether you trade in Futures or Equities? The problem of trading in Futures only arises if you have limited funds available. In that case, Equities is the best option.

As far as my trading goes, I never feel the difference if I am holding Equities or Futures. When I hold futures, I can sleep as well as when I hold equities. In my opinion, anyone who is properly funded and does not trade futures is missing out on the calculative advantage of margin trading. In most of the cases, this is mainly due to lack of proper planning. Here, I'll be giving out a systematic approach (series of questions to answer) to solve this problem for those who experience this barrier.

A) Are you Well Funded?
B) Do you have a Trading Plan?
C) Do you have a specific Entry point?
D) Do you have a specific Exit Point?
E) Do you understand 'R' of your system?
E) Are you afraid of Gap down?

In my opinion, if you have answered Questions A to E as Yes, then you must simply start trading futures from tomorrow. As far as "F" is concerned, since you will have a specific exit point, you would know when and where to get out. Having psychological barrier is very common and getting rid of this barrier is what differentiates an expert trader from the rest. If you know how to use calculated leverage, then use it. By not using it, you are limiting equity growth and your growth as a trader.

Tc.

Very well said Raunak... I am one of these having psychological barrier... trying hard to get rid of it but conincidently it happened so that whenever i initiated position on future, I hit stop loss... lolzzz

SwingKing

Word on Nifty

Off late many skeptics and experts on various channels are voicing concern over markets being at 6000. Well, in my opinion, markets are not coming down any time sooner. There is a possibility of a 3-5% consolidation, but I feel that will be an excellent opportunity to buy.

Keep your positions intact and keep trading and investing with stop losses. If markets have to enter a bear phase, we will get enough time to react on that. Till then, trade like the wind.

Tc

saivenkat

Thank you Raunak for quick bit of reply.

For the next two weeks i may not get time to actively monitor movements in market. But then i would like to use this buy opportunity, as per your valuable advise, to stay invested for a swing trade with Strict SL.

Although you have dealt in detail with about some stocks here, as usual my pestering of you is continuing. Kindly suggest me three to five stocks for this short term, so that i can invest and do my other work.

Regards
Saivenkat:thumb:

Need opinion on KPIT... Is it good buy at current level with SL of 156??? My ADX method is still not giving me signal but other method is giving me early entry sign...
Well this is just a visual interpretation of KPIT

Both ColPal and TItan are doing exceptionally well today given the overall market.

Need to see if it can close with the same momentum going forward.

Tc
I love u Raunakji for TITAN... I made couple of thousands....
^^
Even me too...! :) Managed to cover 35 points in COLPAL today!! Not the stocks.. Its you Raunak doing exceptionally well, finding them at right time for us.

- Ram

SwingKing

Thank you Raunak for quick bit of reply.

For the next two weeks i may not get time to actively monitor movements in market. But then i would like to use this buy opportunity, as per your valuable advise, to stay invested for a swing trade with Strict SL.

Although you have dealt in detail with about some stocks here, as usual my pestering of you is continuing. Kindly suggest me three to five stocks for this short term, so that i can invest and do my other work.

Regards
Saivenkat:thumb:
Sai,

As of now we are tracking list of scripts I had given earlier. Out of the list Titan and Colpal were Buy's. Now, its late to enter these. As and when new stocks hit a buy level, things will be updated.

Tc