• March 6th 2011

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • March 13th 2011

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apurv7164

dear raunak,
how can you define smart work.( your sign says:trading is a business where smart work is more rewarding than hard work)
to me trading is business where u need edge over others..... and to find edge over others u need to be smart and dynamic... and one more thing, once u feel that the edge u were having is no more edge and known to general... u got to work hard smartly to find something elsse...

SwingKing

dear raunak,
how can you define smart work.( your sign says:trading is a business where smart work is more rewarding than hard work)
Swamy,

This is by far one of the toughest question someone has asked me in this thread. Its difficult because it cannot be put in words. Anyway let me give you an example of smart work.

"I always buy based on both fundamentals and technicals, but when it comes to selling, I always do it based on pure technicals. Earnings and Charts don't lie and together they highlight information that only a fool can deny. "

Tc

Apurv7164

Swamy,

This is by far one of the toughest question someone has asked me in this thread. Its difficult because it cannot be put in words. Anyway let me give you an example of smart work.

"I always buy based on both fundamentals and technicals, but when it comes to selling, I always do it based on pure technicals. Earnings and Charts don't lie and together they highlight information that only a fool can deny. "

Tc
Sirji, do u not think earnings and fundamentals are the most unreliable thing in investment world? which is very easy to be manipulated while technicals reflect manipulation so we have some way of knowing something cooking....

SwingKing

Sirji, do u not think earnings and fundamentals are the most unreliable thing in investment world? which is very easy to be manipulated while technicals reflect manipulation so we have some way of knowing something cooking....
Fundamentals and Technicals of good stocks are always helpful.

Fundamentals and Technicals of junk stocks are never helpful.

Tc

Dear Raunak Sir / All ,

I have a small query wrt stop loss and support for a stock.

Can these terms be used interchangeably ? If yes under what circumstances - long term Time frame , short term etc ?

For eg, lets say I have a time frame for 6 months. I buy a stock @100 . I have a SL of 10 % , and hence i should exit this stock if the price comes below 90.
But incidentaly , the last support for this stock was @ 95 . (hypothetical , but possible i suppose.)

Now I am completely confused as to when to exit. As mentioned above, does the exit depend on the time frame i have in mind ? With a 6 month horizon , shall i ignore the support level (95 ) if its higher than my stop loss(90) ?

Different people may have different views. Just trying to form mine .

Doubt about the beta value of a stock:
I understand its meaning , but wish to understand the significance in the real world. When to look at it and when not to (time frame wise , trading style wise etc ) ? What are the trading styles that use this value ?

Warm Regards
Kg

SwingKing

Dear Raunak Sir / All ,

I have a small query wrt stop loss and support for a stock.

Can these terms be used interchangeably ? If yes under what circumstances - long term Time frame , short term etc ?

For eg, lets say I have a time frame for 6 months. I buy a stock @100 . I have a SL of 10 % , and hence i should exit this stock if the price comes below 90.
But incidentaly , the last support for this stock was @ 95 . (hypothetical , but possible i suppose.)

Now I am completely confused as to when to exit. As mentioned above, does the exit depend on the time frame i have in mind ? With a 6 month horizon , shall i ignore the support level (95 ) if its higher than my stop loss(90) ?

Different people may have different views. Just trying to form mine .

Doubt about the beta value of a stock:
I understand its meaning , but wish to understand the significance in the real world. When to look at it and when not to (time frame wise , trading style wise etc ) ? What are the trading styles that use this value ?

Warm Regards
Kg
KG,

I will answer the first part of your query in detail later.

As of Beta, real implication of beta is trading into counters which exhibit more volatility than index. If volatility is missing, trades are less profitable. However, too much volatility is often not good. Hence,

In low Volatile environment - Trade with Beta stocks.
In High Volatile environment - Avoid Beta stocks.

Tc

SwingKing

Code:
        Script               Comment             Traded Price         Current Price              Exit               Gain/Loss
         ACE                   Buy                    66                  65.25                                       -1.15
 Ahmednagar Forgings           Buy                  126.68                141.85                                      10.69
      Ansal Prop               Buy                  95.84                   89                    89                  -7.69
      Bata India               Buy                  345.05                331.55                                      -4.07
    Finolex Cables             Buy                  59.74                  64.3                                        7.09
 National Fertilizers          Buy                  128.9                 125.75                                       -2.5
       Sesa Goa                Buy                  374.81                 353                   353                  -6.18
         KPIT                  Buy                  169.54                164.25                                      -3.22
      MunjalShow               Buy                  62.28                  64.3                                        3.14
      Parsvanath               Buy                  70.27                 68.55                 68.55                 -2.51
        Patni                  Buy                  467.13                 470                   470                   0.61
     Banco India               Buy                  112.01                111.5                 111.5                 -0.46
         TCS                   Buy
      Lupin Labs               Buy
    Ing Vyasa Bank             Buy
  JB Chem and Pharma           Buy
 Gemini Communication          Buy

Will be buying,

Lanco Inds
JK Cement
3i Infotech
Bharti Shipyard
Vardhman Acr
Sona Koyo Steer
Jain Irrigation
Graphite

From above list, we will be exiting Gemini Communication. Bought a Z grade stock accidentally.

Tc
TCS, Lupin Labs, Ing Vyasa Bank, JB Chem Pharma, Gemini Communication, KPIT, Bata, National Fertilizers and Finolex have been exited with minor profits and minor loss. Money from these stocks has been shifted to new counters Lanco Inds, JK Cement, 3i Infotech, Bharti Shipyard, Vardhman Acr, Sona Koyo Steer
Jain Irrigation, Graphite and Ahmedforge.

The main reason for the shift is that these counters are fresh break outs and will move more than the counters above. Will update the sheet at end of the week.

Tc

gauharjk

Raunakji, when you get into a stock, do you set a target, or do you remain invested as long as you don't get a sell trigger?

Yesterday, I could have made some money if I had gotten out on time from ACC. Today, I booked a small loss on it instead of decent profit yesterday. Bad judgment on my part. :(