• March 6th 2011

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • March 13th 2011

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwingKing

The "What If" Syndrome

As technical traders, we are always dealing with probability and never with certainty. We make systems, we practice them and eventually we trade them in the real markets. In the end, we all know that no matter what analysis we do, markets will eventually do what it wants to do. When we see certain trades going against us, we immediately begin to question our systems, market structure and eventually conceive the worst syndrome a trader can ever have. That is, "The What if Syndrome".

This is a syndrome which is responsible for wiping off 50-60% trading accounts every year. What this does is, it creates doubt about our skills, about our intellect, about our systems and about the potential change the market can go through going forward. We begin to look around and start to feel inferior to other knowledgeable traders around. Believe me, trading has nothing to do with intellect and nothing to do with vast knowledge. Like we cannot change ourselves overnight, similarly markets don't change overnight. It takes time for Bull market to turn Bear, and for Bear market to turn Bull. We begin to assume that just because we start trading certain methodology, the market will start changing its inherent character. This concept is wrong and this never happens.

Once a trader gets affected by this syndrome, he steps out on a path to find the ultimate indicator, oscillator or system. He believes he can find one such system which is going to yield minimum losses and maximum profits. There is absolutely no such system which yields minimum losses. Losses are a part of Technical trading and have to be accepted if one has to stay in the game. Typical symptoms of this syndrome is when one starts switching systems or when one realizes that it is more knowledge which is required to become a good trader. If anyone of you is suffering from this syndrome, then let me tell you that all one needs is a simple methodology, simple rules and discipline.

If systems and methodology were so important, then eventually every technical trader should have been extremely rich. The truth is, systems and methodology form a small part within one's entire trading system. The key ingredient to one's success is the right mind set and immense discipline. If you remain mentally strong, then neither will you nor the markets work against you. Ultimately, strength does not lie in systems, it lies truly in the mind. Keep the "what if" syndrome out of your trading plan and work towards peace and prosperity.

Tc

SwingKing

I had received a query yesterday where someone had asked whether I actually trade what I post. Just attaching a snapshot of the same. Whenever I post something, I trade it. At any point of time, this can be requested.

Just some of the futures position we are carrying.

Tc

Apurv7164

I had received a query yesterday where someone had asked whether I actually trade what I post. Just attaching a snapshot of the same. Whenever I post something, I trade it. At any point of time, this can be requested.

Just some of the futures position we are carrying.

Tc
Raunakji, you shud not worry about what others think... ur account talks to you and that is the important.... I am not in agreement of disclosing account just because people are not ready to take you seriously...

It is ur substance and content in you which is making you respected not your account or financial strength. There are people in the forum as well as on the planet earth who appreciate and respect you for your substance....

I do not mean to be aggressive or offensive... just my thoughts...

Bests,
Apurv