Please advise on my Portfolio

bengu

Friends,

I am an NRI who have accumulated the following MF. I said accumulated because I have never seriously studied what I am investing in till date. Every time I visit India, some one will get me to sigh up for one.

Current portfolio: Mutual Funds & Investment every month (SIP)

DSP-BR Micro Cap Fund - RP (G) - Rs. 5000.00
DSP BlackRock Equity Fund - Regular Plan (G) - Rs. 5000.00
HDFC Mid-Cap Opportunities (G) - Rs. 5000.00
HDFC Equity Fund (G) - Rs. 5000.00
HDFC Top 200 Fund (G) - Rs. 5000.00

Without saying, I don't know much about MF. I don't have any particular aim per-say. But a lump some in 10 years will get me to close the mortgages of my couple of properties in London..

Any suggestions will be much appreciated...

asterix24

Hi Bengu,

It is amazing to read that you don't have a particular aim. However, you do say that you require a Lump Sum at the end of 10 years to close mortagages in London. Based on my limited understanding, properties in London are very expensive and if you are banking solely on your Indian MF portfolio, I am afraid you require a lot more money to be invested over this period. My first suggestion would be to figure out a specific aim from your investments.

Another point I would like to suggest is that one should read a little prior to investing. In this age of internet and forums and magazines, a wide gamut of literature is freely available and I would definitely recommend you to consider some read-up prior to any investment in future.

I am not aware of your age-profile, but I presume you have the appetite to higher risk exposure. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Coming to your current portfolio, some of your funds are good, but have one fundamental problem. Banking on only 2 AMCs is a big risk these days and I have personal apprehensions about the same. Hence, you can consider either of following portfolios for your investment

PF 1:
====
Large Cap IDFC Imperial Equity 5000
Large Cap DSPBR Top 100 5000
Large and Mid Cap HDFC Top 200 5000
Multi-cap HDFC Equity 5000
Mid and Small Cap ICICI Discovery 5000

PF 2:
====
Large Cap IDFC Imperial Equity / DSPBR Top 100 5000
Balanced Reliance Regular Savings Balanced 5000

I have not recommended DSPBR Microcap as it is a small-cap oriented fund. If you have the risk appetite (Highest risk, but can potentially give high returns), you can consider. But my personal choice/recommendation would be ICICI Discovery.

When you choose either of these portfolios, the recommendation would be to split 5000 over the month as 4/5 investments of 1250/1000 at different dates of this month. Maybe 2 different dates having 2500 investment might also help.

Happy Investing !!

Subhadip

Hi Bengu,

It is amazing to read that you don't have a particular aim. However, you do say that you require a Lump Sum at the end of 10 years to close mortagages in London. Based on my limited understanding, properties in London are very expensive and if you are banking solely on your Indian MF portfolio, I am afraid you require a lot more money to be invested over this period. My first suggestion would be to figure out a specific aim from your investments.

Another point I would like to suggest is that one should read a little prior to investing. In this age of internet and forums and magazines, a wide gamut of literature is freely available and I would definitely recommend you to consider some read-up prior to any investment in future.

I am not aware of your age-profile, but I presume you have the appetite to higher risk exposure. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Coming to your current portfolio, some of your funds are good, but have one fundamental problem. Banking on only 2 AMCs is a big risk these days and I have personal apprehensions about the same. Hence, you can consider either of following portfolios for your investment

PF 1:
====
Large Cap IDFC Imperial Equity 5000
Large Cap DSPBR Top 100 5000

PF 2:
====
Large Cap IDFC Imperial Equity / DSPBR Top 100 5000
Balanced Reliance Regular Savings Balanced 5000

I have not recommended DSPBR Microcap as it is a small-cap oriented fund. If you have the risk appetite (Highest risk, but can potentially give high returns), you can consider. But my personal choice/recommendation would be ICICI Discovery.

When you choose either of these portfolios, the recommendation would be to split 5000 over the month as 4/5 investments of 1250/1000 at different dates of this month. Maybe 2 different dates having 2500 investment might also help.

Happy Investing !!
it seems to me that t is the most valuable advice one can get from ur advice sir..
ohh..great advice..
please follow it through discipline...:clap::thumb::clapping:

yodlee99

If you are thinking about real estate anywhere in the world, you need to increase your monthly investments. Always invest by SIP on different dates of the month. Besides the suggestions from asterix24, consider Birla SL Frontline equity plan A, Reliance Growth.

milind

The choice of funds is okay. But have realistic expectations out of 30L (= ~$65K) invested over 10 years, with average return of some 15-20% per year. Do account for any currency variations.

Friends,

I am an NRI who have accumulated the following MF. I said accumulated because I have never seriously studied what I am investing in till date. Every time I visit India, some one will get me to sigh up for one.

Current portfolio: Mutual Funds & Investment every month (SIP)

DSP-BR Micro Cap Fund - RP (G) - Rs. 5000.00
DSP BlackRock Equity Fund - Regular Plan (G) - Rs. 5000.00
HDFC Mid-Cap Opportunities (G) - Rs. 5000.00
HDFC Equity Fund (G) - Rs. 5000.00
HDFC Top 200 Fund (G) - Rs. 5000.00

Without saying, I don't know much about MF. I don't have any particular aim per-say. But a lump some in 10 years will get me to close the mortgages of my couple of properties in London..

Any suggestions will be much appreciated...