Day Trading Stocks & Futures

@sumosanammain
:D sorry chief, you seem to have received some flak because of me, the thing is you read my post is isolation without the context hence didnt get the intended sarcasm/humour. in case you have read the tailing posts you'll know i dont have anything against limit orders and that , i place limit orders for my trades. this post was intended in a jocular dark humour line hence the way it was done.

I am a voracious reader and have read quite a lot of stuff and I have a little difference about the " look positive, think positive, say positive" agenda. while it is good to have a positive outlook in everything, i believe there should be a trace of fear / pessimism in your approach. this will help in damage control/ danger prevention when things start going bad. this is in my opinion an essential part of the human psyche of survival. There are hundreds of studies where companies who have been practicing this positive thinking stuff have had generally ended up ignoring or avoiding obvious mistakes which subsequently destroyed the companies, when a bit of caution and practical approach would have saved disaster.

while positivity works, caution is a saviour. i have spent my lifetime in sales and marketing and can relate to this behavioural psychology stuff though do not fully subscribe to it in total.

there was an article i had read. it was nice reading

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/stupefied
I enjoy healthy discussions, so no issues.
Nowhere in positive thinking does it say that you step in front of a fast moving car, feeling positive that it will stop for you.
NLP comes into play for traders who have developed a system, and are looking to execute it with minimum breakage of rules.
Very few traders reach this stage, where they can sit back, relax, and look at where they can improve their rule following.
NLP has helped me overcome these issues.
Feeling positive and NLP are not the same thing. That's Law of Attraction.
NLP helps in identifying disruptive behaviours as they happen in real time, realising it's happening, and conditioning yourself to realise that you are in the process of breaking your rules.
I have used it for light subjects, and it works for me.
Anyway, this applies to a very very miniscule number of traders, who ACTUALLY have a written plan in front of them
Around 10 years ago, I had the opportunity to give a talk on Trading Psychology to a group of traders, roughly 50 of them, all from this forum, that had come from all over the country. There, when I asked how many people had a written plan, just one person said he had his rules in writing.
I miss those old days of Traderji.

Attachments

kharikumaar

Good for you, again anecdotal evidence is not very useful - mine or yours. You have procedures to test these kind of things just as how we cannot use hearsay and start trading a system without actually testing it.
its not just anecdotal. i come from a family of doctors both ayurveda ( at least 4 generations in my knowledge and 2 generations of allopathic doctors in kerala. so to some extent know some of these things

I miss those old days of Traderji.

Recently the quality of interaction has definitely improved leaps and bounds
although the talk is not always about trading :)
but that's ok I guess as long as it is cordial and jovial

Now the question is which one of the photo's is you and where is ST

TracerBullet

Best way that i have seen to follow rules -

1) Have an actual edge that you have verified through proper backtesting for large number of trades.
2) Forward test it too, look at execution costs etc
3) Automate it.

Now i may feel things day to day but i dont act on them immediately. I put them in idea bin and then test it and only if something proves itself do i use it. This is very hard to do if you backtest manually as every change needs to be tested across large sample.

Along with above, i think it takes a few years to get the probabilistic mindset, and overcome overwhelming emotions during DD through every loss and win.

Recently the quality of interaction has definitely improved leaps and bounds
although the talk is not always about trading :)
but that's ok I guess as long as it is cordial and jovial

Now the question is which one of the photo's is you and where is ST

I am not in this particular picture as I am the one speaking. I do have other pics, will post if allowed by Moderators.
A lot of Veteran members are there in those pics.