Day Trading Stocks & Futures

siddhant4u

Well-Unknown Member
Nice weekend discussion and fruitful too . . .

Lets say we are starting with top 20 ranked ones from Nifty 50 & Next 50

Can we also come up with well defined criteria for
1) Adding - dropping a scrip from this folio
2) Scaling-in / out

for e.g. going 5 years back, we create a folio based on the raking method used above . . .
and for next 5 years use some rules to reward the winners (scale in more $) and punish the laggards

Is it possible to do something like this with the data you have?

Once again thanks every one for a v good discussion

I think scaling can be done based on one's stock trading setups like some can use 21 Ema or stock touched 200EMA or may be if you are investing heavily and periodically then on every pivot low

Based on what happens with ADAG and Yes bank or ZEEL type stocks, I guess 3 months revisit will be needed. Plus if Company is in news for all bad reasons, sell off immediately.

mohan.sic

The excel was result of trying to find stocks which outperform Index. I had done this few months back and revisited again. (can't find old thread, but have spreadsheet with me).

And yes, you are right, Yes bank was good candidate earlier, upto 2018 dec as well. One more reason this can not be a blind way to select stocks, as Bajaj Finance, UPL were added very recently to Nifty 50.

This excel just shows that you need to invest in multiple stocks so that even if one Apple is rotten (yes bank), you can still eat Orange.

What I think can be done is, and it's just an idea - for long term portfolio people can compare the results of all Nifty 50 stocks in say every 3-6 months and see how their stocks are performing.

Sometimes, if you are invested in Asian Paints, you tend to forget that Berger Paint might be giving better returns ! or Why to invest in HDFC Bank when you can get better return with Bajaj Finance.

what is the parameter you choose to select this set of stocks for comparitive analysis with index.

XRAY27

Nice weekend discussion and fruitful too . . .

Lets say we are starting with top 20 ranked ones from Nifty 50 & Next 50

Can we also come up with well defined criteria for
1) Adding - dropping a scrip from this folio
2) Scaling-in / out

for e.g. going 5 years back, we create a folio based on the raking method used above . . .
and for next 5 years use some rules to reward the winners (scale in more $) and punish the laggards

Is it possible to do something like this with the data you have?

Once again thanks every one for a v good discussion

Only relying on fundamentals won’t help,(usually it will be late)weekly chart will solve the problem ,if you are after Multi baggers...take 50 EMA as TSL on weekly charts,You may have re entries ,but you can avoid many destroyers

ncube

Only relying on fundamentals won’t help,(usually it will be late)weekly chart will solve the problem ,if you are after Multi baggers...take 50 EMA as TSL on weekly charts,You may have re entries ,but you can avoid many destroyers
Yes, retailers will be the last to know the changes in fundamentals so there is no edge. The real edge for retailers in investing are these:
1. Price Action
2. Option to quickly enter and exit
3. Option to stay out and not invest if the situation is not good.

Big investors and fund managers cannot do 2&3 and that is the real edge for retail investors and one should build the strategy to exploit this edge to the fullest.

Last edited:
For selecting based on the score, using price (relative strength / % growth) and not any fundamentals

Yes we can use a V deep TSL or EMAs or any other fixed rules . . .

I am a bit tied up, but will try to invest some time into this . . .
first thing I will need is to find/get/download data of past 15/20 odd years
and some how clean it for splits/bonus/rights /dividend

Once again, thanks everyone for a nice discussion.

XRAY27

For selecting based on the score, using price (relative strength / % growth) and not any fundamentals

Yes we can use a V deep TSL or EMAs or any other fixed rules . . .

I am a bit tied up, but will try to invest some time into this . . .
first thing I will need is to find/get/download data of past 15/20 odd years
and some how clean it for splits/bonus/rights /dividend

Once again, thanks everyone for a nice discussion.

yes ,you need to invest lot of time and energy get hold of this ,testing needs lot of energy,i'm fixed on the rules,but when i compare with trading returns are less post tax, so not doing it right now...neither capital is so big that i can survive on investment...

XRAY27

Yes, retailers will be the last to know the changes in fundamentals so there is no edge. The real edge for retailers in investing are these:
1. Price Action
2. Option to quickly enter and exit
3. Option to stay out and not invest if the situation is not good.

Big investors and fund managers cannot do 2&3 and that is the real edge for retail investors and one should build the strategy to exploit this edge to the fullest.
Agreed !!! retailer only factor is fear and greed ,so made a mechanical one to get hold of this !!