Day Trading Stocks & Futures

travi

Just tried to check my own statement.

SBI index fund has 3 yr (annualized compunded) return at 8.5 and 5 yr at about 11.5. While not great, it is not particularly bad.
Looking at mutual funds that i own, all but Mirae have underperformed a lot - esp 3 year returns are not very good - hence my perception. Excuses are same, overall market has not performed etc. But Mirae keeps doing well for many years.

All the more reason for me to start shifting money to trading.
Mirae had heavily betted on Midcap rally of 2017 but 2018 Jan was a peak and miserable hammering in midcap/SC which put them in their own kind of recession.
Check their composition, might likely corroborate and this is all in that 3yr window.
Even today, SC/MC barely reaching break even levels etc. The MC100 and SC indices are still under water by -10%/-20% resp,

In the same period NS, is up 20% :D big difference in returns.

Mirae had heavily betted on Midcap rally of 2017 but 2018 Jan was a peak and miserable hammering in midcap/SC which put them in their own kind of recession.
Check their composition, might likely corroborate and this is all in that 3yr window.
Even today, SC/MC barely reaching break even levels etc. The MC100 and SC indices are still under water by -10%/-20% resp,

Yeah, large cap doing better and even there, some stocks getting most of the returns. That has been the stated reason from hdfc, icici etc.

Mirae is still doing very well with, i think, above index returns.
For 5+ years., they keep doing well over long period. I put some in midcap funds last year before virus along with 2 others. Mirae one fell less and recovered quicker.

Anyway, long term performance is hard to judge in investing as sample size is so low. What is skill what is luck, who knows. Prashant Jain and Naren used to be star managers long time back and now they are struggling with sustained under performance.
Anyway, this ( next .. ) year target for me is to add a few systems + take chunk out of Mutual fund portfolio. Even best funds cannot compete with trading returns, as they have too much money to manage.

lemondew

Travi,

You are well into investments and mutual funds and knowledgable. Any query I have is coming your way. All folks I know are traders. :) :up::up:

travi

Travi,

You are well into investments and mutual funds and knowledgable. Any query I have is coming your way. All folks I know are traders. :):up::up:
Tnx. Since that time you might find old posts from 2017 but then i've completely changed my use for MFs.
I dont use the mix of all ones.
So anything i put in MF is only sectoral, trying to time them a bit when they are stressed. Pharma, IT, Energy etc. Will give a good basket entry.

Higher allocation to Index ETF is more preferable for me and reduced savings/cash type instruments for safety.
Then rest of the funds can be allocated for direct equity investment which is nothing but the longer TF hold and rest for trading.