Day Trading Stocks & Futures

travi

There is reason for SIP going downhill even when market is going up. Below is some returns for 5 yr SIP in hdfc mf's. I bet similar returns are for rest of AMC's too. People now realised that buying in funds will get them nothing, instead all investment is now moving to either Index Fund or direct ETFs (may be managed by same AMCs). This is worldwide phenomena and not restricted to India alone. Era of star fund manager is over and AMC's need to revolutionise. I bet on Zerodha or similar firms to come up with mutual fund industry with lower fees. (zerodha now have mf license).

5 yr SIP returns in HDFC MFs (source:valueresearch)
HDFC Top100: 3.62%
HDFC Equity: 2.91%
HDFC Focussed 30: 0.15%
HDFC Growth Opp: 4.22%
HDFC Midcap: 6.77%
HDFC Smallcap: 6.07% & finally
HDFC Sensex Index fund: 8.57%
Yes, it's been a problem for a few years especially those who are totally out of direct stock mkt and only relying through MF for equity exposure.
If I dig up my old posts, I've used MF for small caps and sectoral themes.
With small/mid caps in their own kind of bear mkt since peak of Jan 2018, guys who played in that space like Porinju also are in drawdowns. Even RJs picks were about there.

What I was trying to say, is that the style of picking all stocks and sitting won't work, mkt does a lot of sectoral rotation and one needs to adapt to that. See Auto stocks, none are nowhere near ATH even pre covid.

IT/Pharma few years ago were in their own multi year bear mkt and now have gone into their best ever performace.
So this whole style of investing is going to change and you can't have 80-100 names from all sectors.
While mkt will churn, this kind of MF will lack good returns due ever existing baggage they will be pulling.
The burden is partly due to AUM, not easy to get in and out so maybe this adaption will be a boon in disguise.
Smaller AUM, smaller footprint, less negligence and a wake up call.

I tend to not write-off sectors, there are always great minds and they will innovate themselves out of extinction :)

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
Ani buddy doing automated trading here ??using python in the trading process or analysis process??
What is your query. Though I have used python to practice. pulling data. I have not done much after I moved to Hyd since my computer is still in Pune.. Currently for now I am using Amibroker to test my algo live in Fyers using Fyers APIBridge. @TracerBullet should be able to help with respect to Python.

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
What is your query. Though I have used python to practice. pulling data. I have not done much after I moved to Hyd since my computer is still in Pune.. Currently for now I am using Amibroker to test my algo live in Fyers using Fyers APIBridge. @TracerBullet should be able to help with respect to Python.
Why I have chosen this model for now is. If I have to write in Python I have to first write code for the following.

1. Pull Reliable Data.
2. Normalize the data.
3. Store the Data (SQL,MongoDB or flat files).
4. Retrieve data.
5. Write Trading Setup and Entry Logic.
6. Manage Open positions
7. Write risk Management rules.

With Amirboker Steps from 1-4 are covered by it inherently. API Bridge somewhat helps in Steps 6 & 7.

I only have to write the Trading strategy ( Setup, entry and exit.)

Later when I am proficient in coding all of these efficiently I can use it.
For now using the local computer testing it. But will be eventually moving to the cloud. That should be about 6-8 months from now.

checkmate7

Why I have chosen this model for now is. If I have to write in Python I have to first write code for the following.

1. Pull Reliable Data.
2. Normalize the data.
3. Store the Data (SQL,MongoDB or flat files).
4. Retrieve data.
5. Write Trading Setup and Entry Logic.
6. Manage Open positions
7. Write risk Management rules.

With Amirboker Steps from 1-4 are covered by it inherently. API Bridge somewhat helps in Steps 6 & 7.

I only have to write the Trading strategy ( Setup, entry and exit.)

Later when I am proficient in coding all of these efficiently I can use it.
For now using the local computer testing it. But will be eventually moving to the cloud. That should be about 6-8 months from now.
Which data vendor you are using?

siddhant4u

Well-Unknown Member
Yes, it's been a problem for a few years especially those who are totally out of direct stock mkt and only relying through MF for equity exposure.
If I dig up my old posts, I've used MF for small caps and sectoral themes.
With small/mid caps in their own kind of bear mkt since peak of Jan 2018, guys who played in that space like Porinju also are in drawdowns. Even RJs picks were about there.

What I was trying to say, is that the style of picking all stocks and sitting won't work, mkt does a lot of sectoral rotation and one needs to adapt to that. See Auto stocks, none are nowhere near ATH even pre covid.

IT/Pharma few years ago were in their own multi year bear mkt and now have gone into their best ever performace.
So this whole style of investing is going to change and you can't have 80-100 names from all sectors.
While mkt will churn, this kind of MF will lack good returns due ever existing baggage they will be pulling.
The burden is partly due to AUM, not easy to get in and out so maybe this adaption will be a boon in disguise.
Smaller AUM, smaller footprint, less negligence and a wake up call.

I tend to not write-off sectors, there are always great minds and they will innovate themselves out of extinction :)
Direct stock investment is not for everyone. Newbies will go back to MF soon. But this time most of the money will flow to index fund or ETFs thus days of earning 2-3% of AUM for each fund is over!
One of my acquaintance was working for pvt insurance firm managing funds, he mentioned recently that they use to have team of 12-15 people just focused on cement and infrastructure sector. Now due to low earnings it has been reduced to 4-5.