My experiments with MFs

With reference to the above, I had applied through 4 sources - Groww, Finvasia, MFU and Kotak app.

Three of those have been allotted, at NAV of 25th Jan, regardless of the time I applied for.

The NAV shown on the screen was 11.18xx, but I was allotted at NAV of 11.2060. So, I didn't get what I ordered, a higher NAV or less bang for the buck.

Today, I will apply for more in Axis Arbitrage Fund IDCW direct, which is also giving out regular payouts. It is showing NAV of 11.7216 at present.

View attachment 50265

Dividend payout for Rs. 500 investment

View attachment 50264
Strangely, the NAV shown in MFU is 11.7528 for 24th Jan, not the latest 11.7216; AMFI bhavcopy also displays 11.7216 :( Ok, I will apply, but will check the allotment NAV.

1706243808504.png

Ok. So applied for Axis Arbitrage Fund IDCW direct through Finvasia (500), MFU (1000) and Axis app (500). Now, let's wait 1-2 days to check the NAV I receive and another month for the Dividend payout.

This fund has zero lock in. Kotak Arbitrage has 30 days lock in.

Now I need to find a single step solution for converting json file to excel format.

Any solutions ?

Edit : Found it here :

https://conversiontools.io/convert/json-to-excel

But the converted file shows only scheme code and name.

1706964161083.png

Will retry tomorrow.

Last edited:

Raj232

Every day I get such love letters from various mutual funds about increase in the expense ratio. The AMCs surely are getting fatter and actual "returns". The investor gets value appreciation and brownie points.

View attachment 50271
Exactly ... these guys are getting more than just fat ...
Their fund performance cannot even beat the average returns of the index :mad:

I was surprised to know that one of my neighbours had done some basic analysis and invested in Power sector stocks. .. needless to say that price has more than doubled, whereas these fund managers seem to be clueless.

If planning for retirement or passive income, Bank Fixed deposit might prove to be better as senior citizens get approx 8% interest (without any tension of ups and downs like a debt fund)

Also most debt funds are not giving more than 8% interest anyways .. mostly in the range of just 6% p.a. and no special tax benefits either.

Last edited:

Raj232

This is the performance of Pharma / Healthcare Index vs Mutual fund
.. just for study purpose :

1707023390366.png

1707023649574.png

Healthcare stocks were up by +0.19% average, but the NAV still fell.. -0.06% :confused::confused:
Just an example that there are no guaranteed returns.. it is just indicative over a long period of time .. the fund will keep up if the sector does well.

Vmaster369

Not good idea to go in sector specific funds.
exit load expense is to be kept in mind too... index funds is way lol OR learn how to pick good stock as MF does same thing.
In mF what happens is 1 stock gives 300% return and there will be another 6 stocks that be negative killing 40% each .so what left is 30%

mantra is MF doubles your money on average in 5 yrs time .Do you have knowledge to do it faster then play the Equity else MF is good stay invested

Raj232

Not good idea to go in sector specific funds.
exit load expense is to be kept in mind too... index funds is way lol OR learn how to pick good stock as MF does same thing.
In mF what happens is 1 stock gives 300% return and there will be another 6 stocks that be negative killing 40% each .so what left is 30%

mantra is MF doubles your money on average in 5 yrs time .Do you have knowledge to do it faster then play the Equity else MF is good stay invested
Thanks @Vmaster369 :
"Do you have knowledge to do it faster " is the key point.. are there any videos or guidelines for this ?
Again broad indices like Nifty have a mix of all, so if banking goes up, then Oil might fall.. eventually giving an average return.. how can one maximise is the question .. any insights would be helpful..

Power MFs have done very well in the recent past. Nippon Power and Infra fund is among the toppers. But none of the funds can compare with the performance of REC, PFC, PTC, SJVN etc.

These days the Infra and Consumption MFs are doing very good. See the 3 month performance of this fund.

1707030271633.png

But these are hot days. The markets haven't seen a serious dip since March-April. What I would like to see is the performance of these funds in bearish times.