Is earning in Day trading so very easy?

columbus

it is difficult to even get 1 point on nifty everyday , nevermind seven points.
what though is achievable is 20 * 7 ie 140 points monthly .
however i do not think one can trade in 10 lots of nifty with 1 lac with zerodha ..also there is something called money management ....
If you cannot win a SINGLE point, better stop trading.

4xpipcounter

There is no such thing as any company or individual giving "sure hit calls". I regularly track 28 forex pairs, and literally any other market someone wants me to that I can apply my methodology to. I never suggest anyone to trade my forecasts, even though I'm real good. Most of my calls are within a few pips of the week's dips and peaks. I could never expect anyone to get the same results I do with their trading, as it should only be used as a learning tool. The reasons are simple:
1. I'm not right all the time. What if someone takes a trade where I was wrong. I know how to react, but do they?
2. Mindsets, margining, and lot sizes are different.
3. I can never expect for anyone to have the same confidence in my forecasts as I do. It's just common sense.
4. For the most part, in entering other people's trades it is an emotional decision rather than a practical one. When you read my Weekly Previews every week, and then see the accuracy of the forecasts, you would be tempted to say, "Wow! I'm going to trade his picks and be rich, so the trader gets to bold with the lot sizing, leaves no practical room for pullback, then eventually bankrupts.

You can use other people's forecasts and trades to learn from, but never use them to trade from as a set methodology. Also, no one has "sure hit cals". I know only one that has 100% perfect calls 100% of the time, but he does not trade. His name is God.

best idea better join any companies who give u sure hit cals..enter that cal with al your intraday limit..come out with profit..:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Who says? ...he trades for more earth space with human lives ;)
I think u got ur answer.....now u can start n new thread ...Is losing money in Day trading is so very easy?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4xpipcounter

LOL. Rajgreen, c'mon now. We can still be right 85% of the time and be very profitable. WE don't even have to be exact in predicting targets. Just enter the trade going the right way.

Wow! Seems so easy, but most still lose money in this business.

I think u got ur answer.....now u can start n new thread ...Is losing money in Day trading is so very easy?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes...quite a good insights from all

Thank u all

After all, if your stop and TP are in place, and then you let it do its thing,
As JK also mentioned in one of his posts, that we are tied up with markets at every second and every now and then we need to fight with our emotions with every tick changing the colour of the candle to Red or Green. As a newbie, it is quite tough to sit like machines.

Some one else said abt patience...

4xpip...as u had quoted as above, when u were a newbie, how did u manage to let it do the thing. To let the price to hit the SL or TP..
Bcos, as of yesterday, i cud not resist my urge to do something in between when the price did not hit the TP or SL. It was playing with Red and Green candles every now and then. Then a panic strikes and then i exit at whatever price i get or exit near to the entry price. Then i see that price hits the target.

How did u manage to practice that virtue?

8 yrs back: I wanted 100% per month returns...I would spend all my free time trying to make strategies that would make me those kind of returns...I would try different indicators...I would stack many indicators...I would tweak their settings...thinking that the holy grail lies in some secret settings...I would not look at any charts higher than 5min

6 yrs back: After facing regular losses, I removed some indicators...reduced my monthly targets to 50%...thought up some more strategies...

4yrs back: Got frustrated with the continued losses...thought that trading was not for me...took a sabbatical...came back with a fresh mind and thought of new approaches...was still trying to make a lot of money fast...

3yrs back: Instead of focusing on trading stategies, started understanding money management techniques as well...finally understood the redundancy of indicators...started to look at higher time frames...started feeling that even 20% per month return would be great...

2yrs back: One line that changed everything for me:

"It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong."

Now: I trade using daily charts...no indicators...feel that even 50% per annum returns would be great...my winning trades are usually 2-3 times my losing trades...I can afford to be right only 35% of the times and still be very profitable...and I have all the time in the world to pursue my hobbies...

It took me 8 yrs to realize this...maybe this post can help someone cut his time by a couple of years :)
Just came to this wonderful thread by chance and enjoyed all the superb posts But Pride, you really hit the nail. Very true and I am sure many will scucceed in eliminating atleast few years from this graduation process.

Keep it up. And a big thanks to all those who have generously shared their thought process and methodology.

Sanjeev Bhatia

pundit

Anyone trading 10 Lots of Nifty futures with a trading capital of Rs 1 Lac is sure to blow up his trading account. A 7 point loss on this position when you add brokerage, STT and slippage, it will knock off 5 % of your account and if you have 2-3 losses consecutively then the 15 % of your account is down in a single day......very high leverage even for a day trader......

7 point profit.....great idea...but what happens to losses ?? suppose you hit a first trade of the day as a looser, then you need 10 +7 =17 points on your next trade.....suppose next trade makes 7 points profits...will you book it or wait for 17 points profits ? If you dont book, and the trade goes say 9 points in profit and starts going in reverse direction....then what do you do ?? If you book, you are still in a loss considering brokerage,STT,taxes etc....If you book 7 points and the trade goes to make 70 points....how will you feel as you are still sitting with a loss.....?

The assumption here is we make a single trade in a day ....all trades are profitable and so it appears simple....but in practice things are not that simple....you will soon discover that. Can it be done with certainty ? The answer is NO.....

Instead if you ask can 35-50 points ( 7 X 5 trading days ) be made in a week day trading nifty ? The answer is definate YES.....and if you start thinking on these lines, you will succeed as a day trader.And remove that 10 lots idea from your mind....your position should not be such that you are risking more than 1 to 1.5 % of your trading capital on a single trade...this is necessary if you want to survive in this game for long.

The above are my personal views based on my experience as a day and swing trader ......there will be many trading wizards who claim to be making 200 % return per month on their capital of Rs 25,000 and I wish them good luck and I hope to see them trading after one year in the market......

Best wishes for your success.....

Smart_trade
I completely agree to ST , making 7 points daily is tough but making 35 points weekely is easy.

Thanks for this wonderful discussion and views from Seniors.

Special thanks to ST for this great post, I really enjoy your every post ST.

4xpipcounter

NTM, in terms of a metaphor, I am at a point in my trading where there is ice in my veins. That is not something that just happens, nor did it happen because I have this cool and clam makeup. As a matter a fact, if you knew me in person, you would know I'm not cool and calm. For 54 years old, I'm still very hyperactive.
When we talk about coolness and calmness with respect to, we are really talking about obviating fear and greed, or at least coming as close to that point as possible. This is not something you have when you first start trading. This is developed over time. Foremostly, there are some things you need to know for yourself: 1. Do I have a methodology that is a proven winner on a demo account. If you are not winning on a demo account, then please stay out of the markets with your live money.
Let's assume your methodology is fully developed. Enter the markets, but be highly conservative in your position sizing.In the beginning, your only goal should be to see your equity higher at the end of the month than it was the beginning.
Your experience with winning consistently, however slight the gains might be will be your confidence that you need to keep propelling you. You will get to the point that you know in your heart of hearts that your methodology is the best thing around. You will start noticing a coolness and a calmness. Fear and greed starts to lose its grip. My position size relative to my total equity is always the same, no matter how good the trade looks when I enter it.My methodology has proven itself so much to me that when I am in a trade and it goes against me, everything is still going to be alright, yet, if the trade hits my stop for a losing trade, big deal! It's just part of the territory.
This whole thing evolves through experience, and experience breeds confidence. In your case, school has just begun. You have months and maybe years in your learning curve. Regardless how long it takes, be patient with yourself. When you get to the point your job is your home office, you will be very happy you stuck it out.

Yes...quite a good insights from all

Thank u all

As JK also mentioned in one of his posts, that we are tied up with markets at every second and every now and then we need to fight with our emotions with every tick changing the colour of the candle to Red or Green. As a newbie, it is quite tough to sit like machines.

Some one else said abt patience...

4xpip...as u had quoted as above, when u were a newbie, how did u manage to let it do the thing. To let the price to hit the SL or TP..
Bcos, as of yesterday, i cud not resist my urge to do something in between when the price did not hit the TP or SL. It was playing with Red and Green candles every now and then. Then a panic strikes and then i exit at whatever price i get or exit near to the entry price. Then i see that price hits the target.

How did u manage to practice that virtue?