Debit / Credit card issues, frauds, problems etc..etc..

natjay

How many of you use a RuPay debit-cum-ATM card ? I have noticed that some of the card swipe machines do not accept a RuPay card - saw it on HDFC bank, ICICI bank and Axis bank swipe machines. The same card works ok on Andhra Bank swipe machine.

Today had this scary experience when I needed some lab tests for my mother. Went to Dr Lal Path Labs here at Rohini in New Delhi. The machine didn't accept the RuPay card. Luckily I had a Visa card too, which worked. It was HDFC bank machine. So, to test the card, I visited HDFC bank ATM and withdrew some cash using the same card (which was not accepted by the HDFC bank swipe machine). It worked ok.

I have written to Dr Lal path labs and HDFC customer care about it. Let's see what next.
I have a RuPay debit card issued by a co-operative bank but I use it only to withdraw cash. In my experience, the biggest supporters of the RuPay ecosystem are still co-operative banks (even though other banks sport that logo).

But despite being a homegrown solution, it hasn't exactly reached the stature of Visa or Mastercard in terms of adoption or reliability (beyond cash withdrawals). Part of it is to do with the lack of marketing; the other is lack of incentives on part of vendors when they already have Visa/Mastercard in place.

Most private banks have risk mitigation and fraud prevention procedures wired into their debit card payments thanks to the decades of experience that Visa & Mastercard bring to the table. It's a hands-free, practical and largely foolproof system. So they'd not be very keen to "fully support" new payment processors because it opens up fresh challenges on many levels.

That's why glitches and denied payments are going to be the norm with RuPay unless we see it become a payment standard with its own undeniable USP.

I have a RuPay debit card issued by a co-operative bank but I use it only to withdraw cash. In my experience, the biggest supporters of the RuPay ecosystem are still co-operative banks (even though other banks sport that logo).

But despite being a homegrown solution, it hasn't exactly reached the stature of Visa or Mastercard in terms of adoption or reliability (beyond cash withdrawals). Part of it is to do with the lack of marketing; the other is lack of incentives on part of vendors when they already have Visa/Mastercard in place.

Most private banks have risk mitigation and fraud prevention procedures wired into their debit card payments thanks to the decades of experience that Visa & Mastercard bring to the table. It's a hands-free, practical and largely foolproof system. So they'd not be very keen to "fully support" new payment processors because it opens up fresh challenges on many levels.

That's why glitches and denied payments are going to be the norm with RuPay unless we see it become a payment standard with its own undeniable USP.
I have received a response from Dr. Lal Path Labs, just a thank you note. Will wait for a response from HDFC bank, if not received in 2-3 days will write on pgportal.gov.in;

You see, the RuPay card is the default card issued by my bank (Union bank). They charge extra for Visa card. The government should know about the acceptability of this instrument.

I would request you to try to use it at some outlet where they have a swipe machine, even if you have the cash, like petrol pump etc. If it is not accepted, check which bank's swipe machine it is and then lodge a complaint about it.

I think that making a noise will be helpful.

natjay

I have received a response from Dr. Lal Path Labs, just a thank you note. Will wait for a response from HDFC bank, if not received in 2-3 days will write on pgportal.gov.in;

You see, the RuPay card is the default card issued by my bank (Union bank). They charge extra for Visa card. The government should know about the acceptability of this instrument.

I would request you to try to use it at some outlet where they have a swipe machine, even if you have the cash, like petrol pump etc. If it is not accepted, check which bank's swipe machine it is and then lodge a complaint about it.

I think that making a noise will be helpful.
I have done that in the past (about 1-2 years ago).

Whenever I used to present my RuPay card at such places, the guy across used to look at it warily, flip it back-and-front and ask "Aur koi card nahin hain kya? Problem ho sakta hain."

Or else, he would swipe it a couple times just to get the transaction through... That would cause me to look on in horror if extra money gets debited by mistake.

The swipe machine in most of these cases belonged to well-known private banks. Essentially, to avoid losing time, money and my brain cells in changing a lackadaisical system, I've simply restricted to using the RuPay card to withdraw cash.

mastermind007

Has anyone tried "redeeming" the points offered by the debit cards ? I keep getting SMSes from Union Bank and Central Bank about the reward points and redeeming them.

Today I tried it. You need to register on the website, which then takes you to another website i.e. maxgetmore.com; both the banks' sites lead to this website. After that it is a maze and in short, I have not been able to redeem anything.
I tried with HDFCBANK. This site is also a maze and every item I found worthwhile is laced with this or that charge.

I have done that in the past (about 1-2 years ago).

Whenever I used to present my RuPay card at such places, the guy across used to look at it warily, flip it back-and-front and ask "Aur koi card nahin hain kya? Problem ho sakta hain."

Or else, he would swipe it a couple times just to get the transaction through... That would cause me to look on in horror if extra money gets debited by mistake.

The swipe machine in most of these cases belonged to well-known private banks. Essentially, to avoid losing time, money and my brain cells in changing a lackadaisical system, I've simply restricted to using the RuPay card to withdraw cash.
That's right. Even I knew that it won't work, but one has to bring it to the attention of the authorities. HDFC bank has given me a complaint number. Hopefully they will notice it. Let's wait and see.

mastermind007

How many of you use a RuPay debit-cum-ATM card ? I have noticed that some of the card swipe machines do not accept a RuPay card - saw it on HDFC bank, ICICI bank and Axis bank swipe machines. The same card works ok on Andhra Bank swipe machine.

Today had this scary experience when I needed some lab tests for my mother. Went to Dr Lal Path Labs here at Rohini in New Delhi. The machine didn't accept the RuPay card. Luckily I had a Visa card too, which worked. It was HDFC bank machine. So, to test the card, I visited HDFC bank ATM and withdrew some cash using the same card (which was not accepted by the HDFC bank swipe machine). It worked ok.

I have written to Dr Lal path labs and HDFC customer care about it. Let's see what next.
Did You receive a email from HDFC bank that says that your issue will be resolved in "7 business days"?

One of the nice thing about HDFC bank is that they do not use "earth" planet's one rotation around sun as time duration for one day, especially when dealing with customer complaints and second nice thing is that they have so many employees that you never get to talk to same person ever again in your life.

HDFC bank has created a replica of a stateless web server using their humanoid employees.

I had gotten about 6 such messages over span of 6 earth months.

Oh yes, 2 working days. That should be max this week. I hope they don't respond/resolve this, so that I get an extra grievance to post on pgportal.gov.in :D

Did You receive a email from HDFC bank that says that your issue will be resolved in "7 business days"?

One of the nice thing about HDFC bank is that they do not use "earth" planet's one rotation around sun as time duration for one day, especially when dealing with customer complaints and second nice thing is that they have so many employees that you never get to talk to same person ever again in your life.

HDFC bank has created a replica of a stateless web server using their humanoid employees.

I had gotten about 6 such messages over span of 6 earth months.

Lodged a complaint at pgportal.gov.in

HDFC bank gave a runaround as mentioned by a member here. "Please give your account and detailed explanation of the problem" etc... When the original email had mentioned that I am not a customer and the problem in detail. The members here understood the problem immediately whereas HDFC bank with all its might didn't :)

mastermind007

Lodged a complaint at pgportal.gov.in

HDFC bank gave a runaround as mentioned by a member here. "Please give your account and detailed explanation of the problem" etc... When the original email had mentioned that I am not a customer and the problem in detail. The members here understood the problem immediately whereas HDFC bank with all its might didn't :)
Practically every pan-India private company in India such as HDFC Bank, Bajaj Allianz, Max Insurance have successfully created a business model in which complaining customer is placed before a "stateless" "memoryless" entity being run by humanoids who are fed low salaries; each ably guided by his/her own cluelessness and safe-guarded from scrutiny by management apathy.

To those of you from non IT background, who do not quite grasp the meaning of words "stateless" "memoryless", I'll give you a small primer. The term stateless comes from definition of HTTP protocol over which entire world wide web internet is based.

Every page that every HTTP Client browser renders on screen comes from HTTP Server but HTTP Server by itself never associates or links two pages with one another. Every web page is completely independent response against by itself and has, by default, complete disregard of what the prior page was. Every bit of relationship, Every semblance of order is simply concocted up the programming language that glues different pages together.

If a programmer is not aware of this problem and does not code correctly, people can go to any protected page of web-site completely bypassing the Login/password page.