Debit / Credit card issues, frauds, problems etc..etc..

Received this in the mail, thought it was worth sharing and starting a topic about it.

《Wednesday a week ago, I had a phone call from someone saying that he was from a company called: "Express Couriers," He asked if I was going to be home because there was a package for me that required a signature .

The caller said that the delivery would arrive at my home in roughly an hour. Sure enough, about an hour later, a uniformed delivery man turned up with a parcel and a bottle of wine. I was very surprised since there was no special occasion, and I certainly didn't expect anything like it. Intrigued, I inquired as to who the sender was.

The courier replied, "I don't know, I'm only delivering the package."

Apparently, he said the sender would want to give you a surprise and a card would be sent separately... , it happened that my birthday was on the way also, so we thought could be from a distant friend. There was also a consignment note with the gift.

He then went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol, there was a Rs 257.50 "delivery/ verification charge," providing proof that he had actually delivered the package to an adult (of legal drinking age), and not just left it on the doorstep where it could be stolen or taken by anyone, especially a minor.

This sounded logical and I offered to pay him cash. He then said that the delivery company required payment to be by credit or debit card only, so that everything is properly accounted for. He added they also don't carry cash to avoid loss or likely targets for robbery.

My wife, who by this time was standing beside me, pulled out her credit card, gave to him to swipe the card on a small mobile card machine with a small screen and keypad and asked to key in the verification code.

Frankly at this point we never suspected anything abnormal and a receipt was printed out and given to us, he then wished us good day and went off as normal,

To our horrible surprise, between Thursday and the following Monday, Rs 50,000 had been charged/withdrawn from our credit account at various ATM machines.

Apparently the "mobile credit card machine," which the delivery man carried had all the info necessary to create a "dummy" card with all our card details, of course with the verification code.

Upon finding out about the illegal transactions on our card, we immediately notified the bank to stop payment, but already too late.

We went to make a Police report, and was confirmed quite a number of households had been similarly hit.

WARNING: Be wary of accepting any "surprise gift or package," which you neither expected nor personally ordered, especially if it involves any kind of payment as a condition of receiving the gift or package. Also never accept anything if you do not personally know or there is no proper
identification of who the sender is.

Above all, the only time you should give out any personal credit card information is when you yourself initiated the purchase or transaction!

PLEASE Pass this on, it may just prevent someone else from being swindled.

vijkris

Learner and Follower
Received this in the mail, thought it was worth sharing and starting a topic about it.
Thanks.
frauds are getting intelligent.:(
a bottle of wine will raise suspicion in non-drinking families like mine though :D

praveen taneja

I do not use Debit card or credit card as net banking is not reliable till 2020 according to me and that I advice my son too and whenever I need any netbanking work to pay somewhere I pay Rs 50/ extra and enjoy the service Jai Ram Ji KI
2020 pure tukka level dont argue on that please

Has anyone tried "redeeming" the points offered by the debit cards ? I keep getting SMSes from Union Bank and Central Bank about the reward points and redeeming them.

Today I tried it. You need to register on the website, which then takes you to another website i.e. maxgetmore.com; both the banks' sites lead to this website. After that it is a maze and in short, I have not been able to redeem anything.

vijkris

Learner and Follower
Has anyone tried "redeeming" the points offered by the debit cards ? I keep getting SMSes from Union Bank and Central Bank about the reward points and redeeming them.

Today I tried it. You need to register on the website, which then takes you to another website i.e. maxgetmore.com; both the banks' sites lead to this website. After that it is a maze and in short, I have not been able to redeem anything.
i can comment regarding icici bank debit cards. i have redeemed lot of points.. they have partnered with payback. and process is very simple.

Btw maxgetmore has so many banks as partners..it should not be tough.

cinderblock

I think you get payback points on using ICICI bank cards. Payback points can be redeemed easily on MakeMyTrip. Don't know about other outlets since I usually max out my points on makemytrip.

i can comment regarding icici bank debit cards. i have redeemed lot of points.. they have partnered with payback. and process is very simple.

Btw maxgetmore has so many banks as partners..it should not be tough.
I think you get payback points on using ICICI bank cards. Payback points can be redeemed easily on MakeMyTrip. Don't know about other outlets since I usually max out my points on makemytrip.
Sigh.. I think I need to hear from maxgetmore users. I am not opening another bank account :)

cloudTrader

I used my Debit Card on an International website for a purchase of a product. The card details had to be given. I was quite confident that everything will be smooth as the Card was International and Visa secured.

After a week or so my card was charged for few dollars from another website named Groupon of US. The website on which I used my card was different. I called the Groupon representatives in US that when I have never used your site for anything how my card has been charged by you?

They told me that the card has been used on their website to get verified status in which they deduct money for verification and after verification the card can be used for purchases.
I was really shocked as I had not done any transaction on Groupon. I immediately called my Bank Relationship manager , and he advised me to Block my card immediately which I did.

Fortunately the real time sms service helped me to know that my card is in the process of being used by somebody else. If the verification process would have been complete on Groupon , the card could have been used.

The Bank then issued me an EMV Chip card which has extra layers of protection against Online frauds.