Debit / Credit card issues, frauds, problems etc..etc..

natjay

I used my Debit Card on an International website for a purchase of a product. The card details had to be given. I was quite confident that everything will be smooth as the Card was International and Visa secured.

After a week or so my card was charged for few dollars from another website named Groupon of US. The website on which I used my card was different. I called the Groupon representatives in US that when I have never used your site for anything how my card has been charged by you?

They told me that the card has been used on their website to get verified status in which they deduct money for verification and after verification the card can be used for purchases.
I was really shocked as I had not done any transaction on Groupon. I immediately called my Bank Relationship manager , and he advised me to Block my card immediately which I did.

Fortunately the real time sms service helped me to know that my card is in the process of being used by somebody else. If the verification process would have been complete on Groupon , the card could have been used.

The Bank then issued me an EMV Chip card which has extra layers of protection against Online frauds.
It's best to use Paypal for international transactions as it doesn't expose your debit/credit card to fraudulent use.

Simply add your debit card to Paypal and then use for USD payments. In case of problems, it's easier and quicker to get back your money as Paypal has buyer protection in built.

Both ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank debit cards are usable on Paypal.

It's best to use Paypal for international transactions as it doesn't expose your debit/credit card to fraudulent use.

Simply add your debit card to Paypal and then use for USD payments. In case of problems, it's easier and quicker to get back your money as Paypal has buyer protection in built.

Aren't their transaction charges prohibitive ?

cloudTrader

Yeah I have been using PayPal since a long time. That time Debit cards from India were not allowed to be added. Only Credit Cards were allowed. I was not using Credit Cards then.

I used to get payments in PayPal which were not even allowed to be transferred to the Indian Banks at that time. Only thing possible was to shop online. PayPal developed a lot in recent past.

Snake.Head

I used my Debit Card on an International website for a purchase of a product. The card details had to be given. I was quite confident that everything will be smooth as the Card was International and Visa secured.

After a week or so my card was charged for few dollars from another website named Groupon of US. The website on which I used my card was different. I called the Groupon representatives in US that when I have never used your site for anything how my card has been charged by you?

They told me that the card has been used on their website to get verified status in which they deduct money for verification and after verification the card can be used for purchases.
I was really shocked as I had not done any transaction on Groupon. I immediately called my Bank Relationship manager , and he advised me to Block my card immediately which I did.

Fortunately the real time sms service helped me to know that my card is in the process of being used by somebody else. If the verification process would have been complete on Groupon , the card could have been used.

The Bank then issued me an EMV Chip card which has extra layers of protection against Online frauds.
That why i my ICICI B2 account virtual credit card
Which is work only if you add amount to that card
+ it is zero Zero balance

What are the transactions charges that your debit/credit card vendor charges ??

Today I noticed that Central Bank charges Rs. 18.53 per transaction !! I have a Visa card from Central Bank and a Rupay card from Union Bank. It seems that while Union Bank does not levy any transaction charges, Central bank charges a hefty amount for using the card.

Or maybe the transaction charges are for Visa card and not for Rupay card ??

vijkris

Learner and Follower
What are the transactions charges that your debit/credit card vendor charges ??

Today I noticed that Central Bank charges Rs. 18.53 per transaction !! I have a Visa card from Central Bank and a Rupay card from Union Bank. It seems that while Union Bank does not levy any transaction charges, Central bank charges a hefty amount for using the card.

Or maybe the transaction charges are for Visa card and not for Rupay card ??
I have used visa debit cards issued by icici,sbi. never got charged any transaction charges.
for irctc, they charge ten rupees,
for swiping debit cards in shops etc, no transaction charges.
maybe in petrol pumps they do charge, I think. in petrol pumps danger of card getting cloned, so never used it. :thumb:

How many of you use a RuPay debit-cum-ATM card ? I have noticed that some of the card swipe machines do not accept a RuPay card - saw it on HDFC bank, ICICI bank and Axis bank swipe machines. The same card works ok on Andhra Bank swipe machine.

Today had this scary experience when I needed some lab tests for my mother. Went to Dr Lal Path Labs here at Rohini in New Delhi. The machine didn't accept the RuPay card. Luckily I had a Visa card too, which worked. It was HDFC bank machine. So, to test the card, I visited HDFC bank ATM and withdrew some cash using the same card (which was not accepted by the HDFC bank swipe machine). It worked ok.

I have written to Dr Lal path labs and HDFC customer care about it. Let's see what next.