• March 6th 2011

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • March 13th 2011

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanPickUp

Dear Raunak sir,
Nice & educative method and how simply eloberated.......Thanks for sharing your trading armours one by one with us.............now I feeling bad myself to using thankless word of THANKS to you sir.......(I think no words to explain it)
Never mind :)

Look at how many post you made and that shows your interest in the subject.

I guess, Raunak agrees with that and if not, he still has my respect to his work and you still have my respect to your work you did in this thread and forum, as I see you any where in the forum.

:):)

DanPickUp

crown

Raunak Bhai

Setting up Stop Losses.... :clap:

This will really help me and others in building and understanding the real trading concepts

Piuvbn

IMO, Objectiveness is not in system, it is in mind... When one is running high on emotions, it is really difficult for the person to be highly objective and keeps on failing... it is common across the globe no matter whether it is business of trading or any other profession.

I would like to share my own experience - when I passed out with my software degree back in 2003, I was struggling hard to get decent job (IT was just coming out of wounds). I started getting into trading just to keep my mind occupied and get lil relief from the frustration of being BEROJAGAR.. Here my point is I was not going through balanced mind set... During those days I kept on jumping on to different methods, systems, strategies and nothing worked for me....

Then eventually, I got the job in the world of software in 2005 and started getting into balanced mind set... now what I m observing is same bloody methods, systems and strategies started working for me as big as one can say WOW WOW WOW! Then I started getting feeling that it is purely luck that these methods did not work back in 2003/2004 and now in 2006/2007/2008 I am lucky and they are working.... then again they did not work in 2009 so I stopped trading with the thought that year 2009 is not lucky enough for me...

Then in early this year (2010), I accidently happened to visit one website related to meditation and attended a seminar on the subject matter of Left and Right Hemisphere of brain and its functioning...

Then I started going through thought process of why I failed in trading in 2003, 2004 and 2009???!!! Why I got beautiful success in 2007, 2008 and 2010???!!! What is common???!!! As a result I realized that during 2003/2004 I was going through professional problems in life and in 2009 I was going through personal problems in life... During both the phases I was not working with balanced right and left hemispheres of brain i.e. in simple words I was not having balanced mind set due to high degree of emotional flows.. Here emotions cud be anything anger, greed, fear, utter pessimism, utter optimism, access happiness, access sadness etc....

As a bottomline, I would say balanced mindset is key to success in trading... many new traders/readers here might be facing similar problem. Observing Karan's posts I started getting flashes of my past (No personal offense Karan, just got into some past memories)... My intention of writing this long story is to explain that be calm, cool down ur emotions, sit aside and think think think....

I can talk or write as long as you want on this subject so better now I end here with the last word... I love Thomas DeMark's statement, "Read, read and read a lot, research a lot and experiment a lot..." I personally say, reading, researching and experimenting is very helpful in cooling down emotions...

Bests,
Apurv
Dear (Brother,Apurvji,Mr. Apurv..... please accept one of these words,Sir not added as I dont like it and please dont cut Dear, which you like and think befiting you also please consider it is coming from a lowly educated man of 52 years of age)
Such nice words. Please give the address of Yoga web site also. So many things to learn and so little time. Emotions also required,without it one is nothing but machine.
Thank you,other members and traderji.com from my heart.
My best regards to you and all the members.
Partha Roy

DanPickUp

Hi raunakagarwal

Hope you do not mind when I interrupt your thread. As I know you and you know me so far, I guess, this is also a Cookie for you and sorry when I called you last time a future trader as you are a real stock trader. ( By the way; I changed it in the post to your good :)

I do not trade stocks and you know, that I still like to know to a certain point, what is happening on the other side of the river. Here is some thing I really like to know.

I will here just post what was written 1912 :

In 1912, an interviewer asked Harriman about his stock market skills and secrets. The trader replied : If you want to know the secret of making money in the stock market, it is this : Kill your losses. Never let a stock run against you than three-quarters of a point, but if it goes your way, let it run.

Move your stops up behind it so that it will have room to fluctuate and move higher.

Like I say, it was written 1912.

Have a nice day

DanPickUp

SwingKing

Hi raunakagarwal

Hope you do not mind when I interrupt your thread. As I know you and you know me so far, I guess, this is also a Cookie for you and sorry when I called you last time a future trader as you are a real stock trader. ( By the way; I changed it in the post to your good :)

I do not trade stocks and you know, that I still like to know to a certain point, what is happening on the other side of the river. Here is some thing I really like to know.

I will here just post what was written 1912 :

In 1912, an interviewer asked Harriman about his stock market skills and secrets. The trader replied : If you want to know the secret of making money in the stock market, it is this : Kill your losses. Never let a stock run against you than three-quarters of a point, but if it goes your way, let it run.

Move your stops up behind it so that it will have room to fluctuate and move higher.

Like I say, it was written 1912.

Have a nice day

DanPickUp
Dear Dan,

I trade in Stocks as well as in Futures. So on both occasions you were right. :)

Anyway now coming to what you have written. As a futures trader, I absolutely agree with the fact that stops should be very tight. If you would have noticed, whenever I trade in futures I keep getting in and out numerous number of times till I finally catch a good move. That is primarily my style of trading in Futures. However, in stocks, I keep stops at a reasonably lower level. I absolutely never move my stops down. I am always looking to move up my stops.

Regarding the note written in 1912, I feel in the current age, where technology has made trading easily accessible and hence added range volatility in prices, keeping three quarters of a SL is not advisable. Markets have changed, volatility behavior has changed and hence nature of stop losses has also changed. In the end we are so many traders, so many different inherent personalities and certainly traders with different risk profiles and hence SL like entry and exit should be determined with what one is comfortable with.

Tc

DanPickUp

Hi raunakagarwal

Ten years ago I was only a share trader ( No idea what I do and what the company was I invested ) . I had good connection to a share fond manager and I still have. This guy made 60% profit ( at those times called conservative ) in one year. He told me what to buy and sell and how to react when it not goes the right way.

That was my first experience with shares. I made some money with out understanding what I am doing.

Today I do not trade any more in shares.

Coming back to the subject you mentioned.

Stop loss with shares is as essential as in any other trading papers.

That was the message I wanted to make clear here. If it now was 1912 or today, the idea is the same : Small losses and if possible, big profit.

Go and ask on the street. Every body knows every thing about gold and shares:confused:, but when it comes to stop loss, they are suddenly out of knowledge :lol:

Dan

SwingKing

Go and ask on the street. Every body knows every thing about gold and shares:confused:, but when it comes to stop loss, they are suddenly out of knowledge :lol:

Dan
That my dear is always going to be forever.

Humans don't change, no matter how much the world advances.

Secret of success remains the same though. Simple to read, yet difficult to execute.

Tc

SwingKing

Open Positions as of Friday.

Code:
            Script               Comment      Traded Price   Exit Price
            Aban                   Buy           872.1           0
       Reliance Capital            Buy           827.9           0
          Tata Chem                Buy            419            0
          Tata Comm                Buy            336            0
Since, Hero Honda is sponsoring the commonwealth games event, let us reward them by going long in it. :)

On a much serious note, those interested can go long in Hero Honda. Keep a SL of close below 1795 as of today. Risk of Rs 7000 per lot.

Stop losses are dynamic and will be updated promptly.

Tc

tempest

Hi Raunak,

Went thru all the posts on the index page. Great stuff:thumb:

One thing if you may please expand on. I think you mentioned you would do so some time soon, so whenever you can please...and that is Position Sizing wrt to adds and cuts.

Somehow I can understand cutting losing positions and not averaging down ( sometimes even that seems counter intuitive) but adds at higher prices seems great in theory but seems difficult in practice cos if prices drop that could seriously erode a formerly profitable situation.

Kindly enlighten us on the most elegant way ( or general rule of thumb for adds) I realize this must work as most seniors advocate this , specially Smart trade (ST) in many of his posts mentions the power of adds to be a technique to go from small time to making larger gains.But somehow I am unable to wrap my head around it ( guess im hoping to get that A-ha moment:))

Well thanks again for all the insights