Stocks To Keep A Close Eye On

Status
Not open for further replies.

jace48

I Watched The Market Till It Was 270 Points In Plus, But Then Had To Go For Some Work, Therefore I Really Have No Idea Why The Market Tanked
Perhaps, Could Be Because Of Anticipating Bad Global Cue Or Could Be Something Else...
I will just add my observation.
We sit on time zone that is transition from East to West hence we face a transitionary global liquidity. So if S&P 500/ Dow is up then our market may start up and then when FTSE guys walk in they either join the party or play spoil sport which decides further closing trend.

If you run a regression analysis on opening bill, 12 noon and closing bell you will get the picture.

MurAtt

We sit on time zone that is transition from East to West hence we face a transitionary global liquidity. So if S&P 500/ Dow is up then our market may start up and then when FTSE guys walk in they either join the party or play spoil sport which decides further closing trend.

If you run a regression analysis on opening bill, 12 noon and closing bell you will get the picture.
almost Bingo :)

Re: Position Sizing and Stop Loss ...

Very good post :clapping:

All,

Was the following the discussion on position sizing and SL's on this thread and I thought it prudent to share a few points with all, especially given today's volatile market and the concerns that people start to have soon.

Risk diversification
------------------

Most of us in this thread are part time investors and usually do not have time to follow markets on a very regular basis. So, it is important to accept that fact and not behave like very short term or intra-day traders. Of course, people who can monitor markets during market hours can make better profits than us. Given this fact, it is important to diversify risk by not concentrating our equity holdings in a few stocks. Some very basic rules would be

1. Not more than x% of your holding should be in one stock. I like to keep it below 5%. That would mean that you are diversified across 20 stocks at least.

2. Assuming this 5% of the amount comes to 20,000 per stock, put only y% of the amount in a stock at the given point in time when it triggers a buy as per Savant's list. Decide this percentage depending upon your risk taking capability. This means that you are leaving cash in your hand to either add to your existing position in the same stock or buy some other stock. In a good uptrending stock, you will get multiple opportunities to add. Also, it is important to stagger your buys to decrease the risk.

3. Diversify your holdings across industries - when you have a choice to pick stocks from Savant's list, look at the strength of the triggers but also look for some thing from a industry which you are not holding already. For example, recently we are seeing a lot of media related stocks giving buy triggers - they had not been participating too much in the overall up move earlier.

Stop loss
---------

1. Adhere to the stop loss as given by Savant when the buy was triggered. If a stock closes below the stop loss, you need to cut your position in the stock next day. Please do not end up hoping it might come up to your buying price.

2. Try to make sure you do not end up loosing more than 1% in any trade. That is why the number of stocks and position sizing is important. You might have money to buy more stocks but if the stop loss is far off, then you need to calculate how many shares you should buy so that you do not end up loosing more than 1%. Read up on position sizing to know a bit more on this aspect.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents on this topic - there are enough seniors here who know a lot more than I do. And this is meant more for people starting off in the market. Others, who know the risks they are taking can work with other rules or different percentages.

Happy and safe investing,
Enygma.

columbus

hi Columbus,

There are a few companies whose shares are of FV=100. That is why I wrote "almost do not exist" I did not say they 'do not exist'.

-Anant
Hi Anant,

When you used the word almost I got the meaning of it.
I put the message for information sake and no offense is meant.

enygma

So true. After Europe opens, our markets are trying to figure out how US will open and close, so that we are not very far out the next day !!

The advantage I see of today's closing is some kind of weakness in US is now already built in to these prices ....

columbus

Hi Umesh,

Although I Don't Track CENTURYENKA Will Try & Look Up The Chart Later & Reply Back.

Happy & Safer Investing

SavantGarde
Centuryenka is worth tracking.

Cna ANY ONE HAVE REVIEW OF CAL'S REFFINARIES .. ITS RATE IS AROUND 0.70-0.80RS

I'VE BROUGHT AROUND 1000 SHARES OF CALS REFF .. IT THERE ANY FUTURE OF CALS REFF
SHOULD I HOLD IT FOR LONG TERM OR SELL IT NOW

PLEASE GUIDE

ALSO

please sir guide me what is QIPs?

REGRADS
RAVI

Thanks n Regards,

SUMEET

Hi Sumeet,

Face value of a share is the actual value of the share. A company issues shares with a face value, generally Rs 10, but other face values are also there like Rs 5, 2 or 1. Earlier face Value (FV) of 100 was also there but now such shares with FV=100 are almost do not exist. When the share is issued at its FV it is called 'Issue at par'. A company does not issue the shares for less than FV. But it is allowed to charge a ceratain extra amount over and above the FV. This extra amount is called 'Premium' and the issue is called 'at a premium'. Irrespective of the FV the market price of the share varies day-to-day and the value is called 'Market Value'. Market value has nothing to do with the actual worth of the share. The total assets of the company minus all the liabilities divided by total number of share issued gives the net worth of the share (NAV).

All the profits, dividends etc distributed are calculated on the basis of face value. If a company declares a dividend of 800% it means you get a divided 8 times the FV. So if the FV is 10 the dividend is 80. But the market value of the share may be 1000 but still the dividend is 80 only.

FV is also used when a company is taken over and merged with another company. In such cases the ratio of shares of new company allotted to the share holders of old company is given in terms of FV although the ratio may be decided on the basis of markrt value. Therefore you may see a statement such as "For every x shares of face value 10 of the old company y shares of face value 2 of the new company will be issued on merger".

NAV is useful in deciding the amount the share holder gets in case of the company shuts down, but subject to several other conditions.

This is what I have understood and I hope this is correct. Any knowledgeable member may correct it or add to.

Regards

-Anant

Savant Sir,

Can any of these triggers be used for futures.

Regards
Anil Bezawada

For Short Term Investors (Fresh Triggers For 23/07/2009)

1) BUY AUROPHARMA (CMP 518.95) @ 532.95
Quantity 3 Shares
Stop Loss 467.00
First Target 598.90

2) BUY PIRHEALTH (CMP 333.00) @ 348.00
Quantity 4 Shares
Stop Loss 300.20
First Target 395.80

3) BUY EKC (CMP 185.15) @ 195.50
Quantity 10 Shares
Stop Loss 177.00
First Target 214.00

4) BUY TATATEA (CMP 768.30) @ 780.00
Quantity 2 Shares
Stop Loss 700.90
First Target 859.10

5) BUY APOLLOTYRE (CMP 38.05) @ 38.60
Quantity 35 Shares
Stop Loss 33.00
First Target 44.20

6) BUY JINDALSAW (CMP 402.00) @ 411.35
Quantity 1 Shares
Stop Loss 300.00
First Target 522.75

7) BUY KSOILS (CMP 52.65) @ 54.50
Quantity 61 Shares
Stop Loss 51.30
First Target 57.75

Quantity Of Share To BUY Is Position Sized For Rs.20000 Available For Each Scrip
(Adjust Qty. Depending On Your Availability)

Happy & Safe Investing

SavantGarde

Status
Not open for further replies.