Sridhar's Trading Dairy

Satya.

nice write up @sridhga
u r vry exprinced trdr..looking @ ur join dt 10yrs
i m a looser so dnt hv nything 2 share

u knw,except 5-6 Pro trdrs on tj,no1 come frwrd 2 help a strggling trader

Hi,

I do not stick to a single time frame. During the day, after the trade is triggered, I only check minute charts to observe the volume if it is aligned with upward movement or downward. To set ORB triggers, I do not need a chart, but I check high/low at 10:00 am. EOD, I check hourly, daily, weekly, monthly charts. I do not post the charts because, in reality, I do not give them much importance. I do not think charting is a predictive science. For example, an organisation like DRDO, ISRO they make rockets, missiles etc. They can predict the path of an object using the principles of physics. If they trace an enemy missile, they know how to extrapolate its path and take it down. Likewise astronomers, predict the path of stellar objects like stars, planets, meteors, galaxies etc. I had observed many traders taking to charts very religiously. But stock charts cannot predict the future movement like in the case of those who use physics. Stock charts are useful only to understand what happened uptill now. They show at what point of time bulls won over bears, or, vice versa. I see most utility in mapping volume in stock charts to see if buying or selling is taking place in large volume and at what price points. I do not set my targets or stop losses by drawing lines against charts. In that sense I do not attach much importance to back testing using charts.

Study of markets is not science. It is a mix of mass psychology and probability.

1. Charts should be just a tool to trace the foot print of psychological behaviour. Nothing more. You cannot predict the future, nor you can set realistically targets or stop losses. You undertand the footprints of Bulls, Bears, Winners, Losers etc. But why do you need this information? You need it, because, you just want to know where big money entered. Market is always a game of big money squeezing out the small.
2. The second aspect of trading is probability. Once you enter a trade it can go either ways. A chart cannot help you in this. You should have a plan if the trade goes in your direction. You should have another plan if the trade goes against you. Plan A and Plan B is not enough. If the trade goes for some time in your direction and then it reverses you should have another plan. If it goes against you for sometime and then reverses you should have a plan. The last two plans are actually multiple plans because you do not know the distance it travels in that specific direction. Your plan should have all these thought out. And it should be thought out in such a way that probability works in your favour. I only look at price points rather than charts. For me price points are important. I do a mental run of my trades in the morning before trading day starts. For this, I do not need charts.
Anyone who worked at strategic management level can tell you that you can outsource routine things. You cannot outsource decision making. If one is weak in decision making, they can hire consultants strictly only for knowledge accretive purposes, but, still, cannot outsource decision making. Charts and computer systems cannot make decisions including target setting SL setting etc.

People who trade in grains, vegetables etc. are not using charts. But they are also speculating to some extent. They just keep price points in their minds. They are very successful in their speculation.

I tried my best in replying to you. I had to discuss so many points because you asked basic (which is good) questions, that, happen to probe my approach and understanding of trading. To tell you honestly, I am not very experienced in trading. Maybe some seniors here can explain this better,or, maybe some of them may differ with my views, or maybe you can share your views on this subject. To each, his own.

Regards,

Sridhar Garimella
Hi Sridhar,

Thanks for replying in such minute details.
Loved the last line "To each, to his own".

Did check the 'BEL stock' in the morning.
Since, it was holding out in the volatile market, couldn't gather courage to go for it.
It seems your understanding of the stock is pretty deep.

Keep posting your trades. I can learn a thing or two from your trades.

Happy trading.
Vijay

sridhga

Product__________Instrument__________ P&L
BO___________BEL18JUNFUT___________-6,930.02
MIS___________BEL18JUNFUT __________+7,920.00
Total________________________________ +989.98
Trasaction Charges 11 trades approx_____ -1600
Balance ________________________________-610

Today's trades resulted in a loss. I made a mistake of placing a Limit order instead of SL order while using BO in zerodha. This instantly triggered a trade and pushed me into a string of losses.

I seem to be making more money for the brokers and government than for myself.

Last edited:

sridhga

Today buying is taking place in BEL. But volumes are much lower than those of yesterday. Intermittent buying is keeping the stock in the green.

Product__________Instrument__________ P&L
BO___________BEL18JUNFUT___________-6,930.02
MIS___________BEL18JUNFUT __________+7,920.00
Total________________________________ +989.98
Trasaction Charges 11 trades approx_____ -1600
Balance ________________________________-610

Today's trades resulted in a loss. I made a mistake of placing a Limit order instead of SL order while using BO in zerodha. This instantly triggered a trade and pushed me into a string of losses.

I seem to be making more money for the brokers and government than for myself.
Hi,

Can you mention the Time & Price of your trades too, i.e. Buy/Sell rates along with the narration provided above?
It will be a great help.

Further, would request you to elaborate a little more on your 'Volume Trading', i.e. how do you do that?
(Don't think you are trading 'Order Flow and Volume System' of Ninja Trader etc. etc.)
Please do so in your free time.

Thanks.
Vijay

sridhga

Hi,

Can you mention the Time & Price of your trades too, i.e. Buy/Sell rates along with the narration provided above?
It will be a great help.

Further, would request you to elaborate a little more on your 'Volume Trading', i.e. how do you do that?
(Don't think you are trading 'Order Flow and Volume System' of Ninja Trader etc. etc.)
Please do so in your free time.

Thanks.
Vijay

Sir,

I really do not trade any hi-fi strategies. That is what I was trying to tell. I broadly follow this book for my trading philosophy: Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas. However, I keep a tab on volume. I try to trade ORB. It works only on trending days. The biggest risk with ORB is getting stuck with false breakouts. I keenly follow one or two stocks for continuous periods. For an experiment, continously observe the the bids and asks of any stock that you already have position in. Observe for the entire trading session. Observe like that for 5 days. Also observe volume. You would know what is the acceptable fair price for the stock as per market. Ofcourse this keeps changing. Then you know how to trade the stock. It need not be more complicated than this. If you say this does not work, then one can also prove that all those hi-fi strategies as well do not work.

Last edited:

sridhga

Okay on a rough day BEL ended positive. In between due to turbulence, it had a dip. It briefly went into the negative territory. Finally it had made a come back. However, the volumes are a bit lower than yesterday. So the up-swing is in tact.

Sir,

I really do not trade any hi-fi strategies. That is what I was trying to tell. I broadly follow this book for my trading philosophy: Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas. However, I keep a tab on volume. I try to trade ORB. It works only on trending days. The biggest risk with ORB is getting stuck with false breakouts. I keenly follow one or two stocks for continuous periods. For an experiment, continously observe the the bids and asks of any stock that you already have position in. Observe for the entire trading session. Observe like that for 5 days. Also observe volume. You would know what is the acceptable fair price for the stock as per market. Ofcourse this keeps changing. Then you know how to trade the stock. It need not be more complicated than this. If you say this does not work, then one can also prove that all those hi-fi strategies as well do not work.
Hi,

Good Advice.
Shall abide by the guidelines strictly to pick up this art.

Many many thanks.
Vijay

sridhga

I am now sticking to BEL. No other shares. I try to go with BEL trend. Even if I set up ORB orders, it will still be on BEL. Later, I will start studying Tata Elxsi. This share (Elxsi) , I previously studied in April. It is most volatile among the stock that I trade. Earlier I was not successful on Elxsi. Let me see, if I can handle it too. Normally, I cannot handle more than two shares a day.

Last edited: