Platforms and languages for automated trading

Hi I am a technical trader living in USA. Recently I noticed a certain pattern in some ETF’s that I would like to trade automatically possibly several times a day depending on market conditions. After some initial inquiry it seems like Interactive Brokers is about the only platform that can provide fully automated trading. If there are other quality platforms that are competitive with Interactive Brokers with fully automated trading please let me know. Also, as I have never used automated trading previously, I am in the dark as to which language with which platform is “best”. I was told that Python can be used for automated trading but I am not sure with which platforms this can be used or even if it is a wise choice. I would appreciate any recommendations for platforms and languages, and please explain the basis for your recommendation.?

Given your requirements for fully automated trading, flexibility, and ease of use, I recommend sticking with Interactive Brokers. It offers one of the most powerful and versatile APIs in the industry, which can be accessed through Python. Python is a wise choice because it is widely used in finance and algorithmic trading for its simplicity and strong support for data analysis.

mrjp

Given your requirements for fully automated trading, flexibility, and ease of use, I recommend sticking with Interactive Brokers. It offers one of the most powerful and versatile APIs in the industry, which can be accessed through Python. Python is a wise choice because it is widely used in finance and algorithmic trading for its simplicity and strong support for data analysis.
bro i am planning to use python for algo devlopment but can you tell me as a begginer is there any pre built python library to use like pybroker or backtrader which are easy to use for begginer

Automated trading, also known as algorithmic trading, involves using computer programs to enter trading orders with little or no human intervention. Various platforms and programming languages are commonly used in this field. Here's an overview:

Platforms
  1. MetaTrader 4 (MT4) and MetaTrader 5 (MT5)
    • Widely used in forex trading.
    • Allows for automated trading via Expert Advisors (EAs).
    • Supports backtesting and optimization of trading strategies.
    • Languages: MQL4 for MT4, MQL5 for MT5.
  2. NinjaTrader
    • Popular for futures, forex, and stock trading.
    • Provides advanced charting, analytics, and backtesting capabilities.
    • Language: NinjaScript (based on C#).
  3. Interactive Brokers (IB)
    • Offers a comprehensive trading platform with access to a wide range of markets.
    • Provides an API for automated trading.
    • Languages: Java, Python, C++, C#, and more via IB API.
  4. QuantConnect
    • An algorithmic trading platform that supports multiple asset classes.
    • Provides historical data for backtesting.
    • Languages: C#, Python.
  5. TradingView
    • Known for its powerful charting tools.
    • Allows for the creation of custom indicators and automated strategies.
    • Language: Pine Script.
  6. ThinkOrSwim (by TD Ameritrade)
    • Advanced trading platform with robust analysis tools.
    • Supports automated trading via custom scripts.
    • Language: thinkScript.
  7. AlgoTrader
    • Institutional-grade trading platform.
    • Supports algorithmic trading across various asset classes.
    • Languages: Java.
  8. Quantopian (Note: As of 2020, Quantopian has shut down its community platform)
    • Formerly a community-driven platform for algorithmic trading and backtesting.
    • Language: Python.