Restoring Traders/Investors Faith into Investing

Einstein

Bias from envy/jealousy.
Well envy/jealousy made, what, two out of the ten commandments? Those of you who have raised siblings you know about envy, or tried to run a law firm or investment bank or even a faculty? I’ve heard Warren say a half a dozen times, “It’s not greed that drives the world, but envy.” Here again, you go through the psychology survey courses, and you go to the index: envy/jealousy, 1,000-page book, it’s blank. There’s some blind spots in academia, but it’s an enormously powerful thing, and it operates, to a considerable extent, on the subconscious level. Anybody who doesn’t understand it is taking on defects he shouldn’t have.

Einstein

Under-recognition of the power of what psychologists call ‘reinforcement’ and economists call ‘incentives.’

Well you can say, “Everybody knows that.” Well I think I’ve been in the top 5% of my
age cohort all my life in understanding the power of incentives, and all my life I’ve
underestimated it. And never a year passes but I get some surprise that pushes my limit a
little farther.

One of my favorite cases about the power of incentives is the Federal Express case. The
heart and soul of the integrity of the system is that all the packages have to be shifted
rapidly in one central location each night. And the system has no integrity if the whole
shift can’t be done fast. And Federal Express had one hell of a time getting the thing to
work. And they tried moral suasion, they tried everything in the world, and finally
somebody got the happy thought that they were paying the night shift by the hour, and that
maybe if they paid them by the shift, the system would work better. And lo and behold,
that solution worked.
Early in the history of Xerox, Joe Wilson, who was then in the government, had to go back
to Xerox because he couldn’t understand how their better, new machine was selling so
poorly in relation to their older and inferior machine. Of course when he got there he
found out that the commission arrangement with the salesmen gave a tremendous incentive
to the inferior machine.

And here at Harvard, in the shadow of B.F. Skinner -- there was a man who really was into
reinforcement as a powerful thought, and, you know, Skinner’s lost his reputation in a lot
of places, but if you were to analyze the entire history of experimental science at Harvard,
he’d be in the top handful. His experiments were very ingenious, the results were counter
intuitive, and they were important. It is not given to experimental science to do better.
What gummed up Skinner’s reputation is that he developed a case of what I always call
man-with-a-hammer syndrome: to the man with a hammer, every problem tends to look
pretty much like a nail. And Skinner had one of the more extreme cases in the history of
Academia, and this syndrome doesn’t exempt bright people. It’s just a man with a
hammer…and Skinner is an extreme example of that. And later, as I go down my list, let’s
go back and try and figure out why people, like Skinner, get man-with-a-hammer
syndrome.

Incidentally, when I was at the Harvard Law School there was a professor, naturally at
Yale, who was derisively discussed at Harvard, and they used to say, “Poor old Blanchard.
He thinks declaratory judgments will cure cancer.” And that’s the way Skinner got. And
not only that, he was literary, and he scorned opponents who had any different way of
thinking or thought anything else was important. This is not a way to make a lasting
reputation if the other people turn out to also be doing something important.

This was speech by Mr. Munger in harvard in 1995. He clearly said that incentives can greately motivates one, and can manipluate his will even if its wrong thing to do,
Raghuram rajan said same thing in 2006 and in 2008. Incentive culture of wallstreet led to the biggest loss to the Banks which FED is still trying to recover by pumping 4.2 trillion$ in last 4 years.

indirectly, he was right even before the problem occurs.

Einstein

Now let’s talk about efficient market theory, a wonderful economic doctrine that had a
long vogue in spite of the experience of Berkshire Hathaway. In fact one of the
economists who won -- he shared a Nobel Prize -- and as he looked at Berkshire Hathaway
year after year, which people would throw in his face as saying maybe the market isn’t
quite as efficient as you think, he said, “Well, it’s a two-sigma event.” And then he said
we were a three-sigma event. And then he said we were a four-sigma event. And he
finally got up to six sigmas -- better to add a sigma than change a theory, just because the evidence comes in differently.

[Laughter] And, of course, when this share of a Nobel Prize went into money management himself, he sank like a stone.

what made these economists love the efficient market theory is the math was so elegant.
And after all, math was what they’d learned to do. To the man with a hammer, every problem tends to look pretty much like a nail. The alternative truth was a little messy, and
they’d forgotten the great economists Keynes, whom I think said, “Better to be roughly right than precisely wrong.”

Einstein

I dont no, nobody knows, we can only look at the rear view mirror and tell if that WAS bear or bull run.

By the way, looking at GPD per capital growth in last 10 years between india and china suggests we have lost the growth war with them,
their per capital GDP is now 4 times stronger then of India. Still both countries have very high potential to grow compared with developed countries.

Last edited:
Run up to a bear market?

Some VI's have tweeted that there are still undervalued companies around so I doubt a VI has too much to worry about.