General Trading Chat

AJK

View attachment 43896
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53856776#:~:text=Florida mosquitoes: 750 million genetically modified insects to be released,-20 August 2020&text=Local officials in Florida have,dengue or the Zika virus.

A similar thing was done in Singapore to reduce mosquitoes and mosquito borne disease. Maybe its time that India looks in this direction.

Dengue itself has far reaching ill effects : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4257651/
At least 35 Lacs dengue cases every year in India (Estimated Range approx 35 Lacs - 146 Lacs)

It would be great to start in Bengaluru given the fact there are many research companies and startups created.
i don't think that would be a good choice.. genetic alteration may lead to extinction of the species one day, because they may crossbreed and evolve the malfunction, leading to full extinction, which would have detrimental effects on the ecosystem, particularly if the region is dependent on agriculture etc. reducing mosquito population through cleaning etc of the region is okay, but extinction of a species is always an imbalance.

they are pollinators, food for birds and frogs, and many...
1598018052896.png

siddhant4u

Well-Unknown Member
i don't think that would be a good choice.. genetic alteration may lead to extinction of the species one day, because they may crossbreed and evolve the malfunction, leading to full extinction, which would have detrimental effects on the ecosystem, particularly if the region is dependent on agriculture etc. reducing mosquito population through cleaning etc of the region is okay, but extinction of a species is always an imbalance.

they are pollinators, food for birds and frogs, and many...
View attachment 43910
millions of lives will be saved by this. Mosquito's are biggest cause of death. Aim is to reduce the population.

However the males carry a protein that will kill off any female offspring before they reach mature biting age. Males, which only feed on nectar, will survive and pass on the genes.

Over time, the aim is to reduce the population of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in the area and thereby reduce the spread of disease to humans

millions of lives will be saved by this. Mosquito's are biggest cause of death. Aim is to reduce the population.

However the males carry a protein that will kill off any female offspring before they reach mature biting age. Males, which only feed on nectar, will survive and pass on the genes.

Over time, the aim is to reduce the population of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in the area and thereby reduce the spread of disease to humans
That is the aim, right, but there is many a slip between the cup and the lip. How will the male pass on the genes if the females die ??

Maybe they can simultaneously work on reducing the virulence of the female. I don't know how. What I do know is that the mosquitoes have, over the years, developed resistance to various measures to control/ kill them. They became resistant to DDT, right ? They have existed since before the dinosaurs and must have survived evolutions and what not.

AJK

one factor is the species itself. we think it's safe, but the species itself may act like an organism and evolve against it, which is what happening in drug resistant pests and microbes. if couldn't, whole mosquito species would extinct. nature is a delicate web.

siddhant4u

Well-Unknown Member
That is the aim, right, but there is many a slip between the cup and the lip. How will the male pass on the genes if the females die ??

Maybe they can simultaneously work on reducing the virulence of the female. I don't know how. What I do know is that the mosquitoes have, over the years, developed resistance to various measures to control/ kill them. They became resistant to DDT, right ? They have existed since before the dinosaurs and must have survived evolutions and what not.
It will produce male and female but later will die before reaching maturity. Female will have more option to mate with male (genetically updated). In the end only male will survive and local infestation dies down.
Mosquitos are not known to migrate or at least I haven’t heard it. So local city population of insect will be finished. There had been research over this for last few decade. Search TED for the video.
I’m happy that they are doing this in USA first instead in africa or India! Or may be they already trialed here

RBI Gov Shaktikanta Das tests positive for FOMO... (Or may be he's bought middle month naked puts) ;)
On a serious note, although I (and most of us, I presume) agree with his assessment, it is improper for an RBI officer to give such remarks. Any remarks that may affect the free market should be avoided by office bearers...

Buoyant Indian stock markets to correct: RBI governor

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst