Full time Indian Resident FOREX trader??

beethoven

What NSE is providing is futures of only USD/INR pair - which acts as one underlying security. There are 12 contracts open at any point of time. That is the only choice available to us. It is not even available in reverse pair i.e., INR/USD.

But what forex trading really means is actual spot trading in the world market which is open 24 hours across many countries and many exchanges which some big brokers like FXCM, Oanda, etc provide seamlessly. Am I correct in my observation?

Bee

What NSE is providing is futures of only USD/INR pair - which acts as one underlying security. There are 12 contracts open at any point of time. That is the only choice available to us. It is not even available in reverse pair i.e., INR/USD.

But what forex trading really means is actual spot trading in the world market which is open 24 hours across many countries and many exchanges which some big brokers like FXCM, Oanda, etc provide seamlessly. Am I correct in my observation?

Bee
You are right about the spot forex.
FXCM ,OANDA are providing nearly 40 different pairs.
Some other brokers also provide more than 40
Mig provides 70 pairs to trade.
Fxpro has quite a big list which not only includes forex pairs but also futures , gold, silver , indexes and so many things .There list is quite big .

vicky_ag

Guys, two words from me who has been trading for over an year.

1. The major issue was while it is easier to open accounts and wire transfer to the broker, IBFX and North Finance etc, it is quite difficult to withdraw the same here. You would be roaming around banks and different forex brokers like Centrum which can get you the USD or EURO converted to your account.

2. Dont be fooled, there are absolutely no authorities to control forex trading. While many may dispute it citing examples of NFA, it should be known that the said institution is a Futures authority not the currency market. So, choose your broker well.

3. The forex market is the fastest moving market with trillions of dollars being traded everyday. The only issue is the fixed lot size viz. 1 lot = $100,000 and 1 mini-lot(0.1) = $10,000 and 1 micro lot(0.01) = $1000. Depending on the lot size you trade, every single point move can make the change. For example, today I took a trade EUR/GBP:
Lot size 0.01
Buy @ 0.9076
S/L 0.9056
Target 0.9096
My target was hit after 23 minutes. (The whole change represented 20 point up of the 1/100 th of the smallest unit of GBP, say GBP ke 1 paise ka 1/100 th portion, sorry dont know the name :eek:)
My profit was $2.94.
Had I been trading 1 lot it would have been $294 and for 0.1 it would have been $29.4.
The obvious thing here is the lot size and whether you have the amount of money required. There you need to have a solid MM rules to get by. (I trade by no more than 2% of my capital). And, yes I dint take any leverage but if there is a 99% probability move(which occurs one or twice a month I go all out with a lot and max of 5% risk).
I would say it is easier to make 5% of capital a day in forex if you use your head as compared to stocks.(Btw, I have just started on Indian stocks and some fundas are really not clear so trying some paper trading first.)

TFL

1. The major issue was while it is easier to open accounts and wire transfer to the broker, IBFX and North Finance etc, it is quite difficult to withdraw the same here. You would be roaming around banks and different forex brokers like Centrum which can get you the USD or EURO converted to your account.

2. Dont be fooled, there are absolutely no authorities to control forex trading. While many may dispute it citing examples of NFA, it should be known that the said institution is a Futures authority not the currency market. So, choose your broker well.

3. The forex market is the fastest moving market with trillions of dollars being traded everyday. The only issue is the fixed lot size viz. 1 lot = $100,000 and 1 mini-lot(0.1) = $10,000 and 1 micro lot(0.01) = $1000. Depending on the lot size you trade, every single point move can make the change. For example, today I took a trade EUR/GBP:
Lot size 0.01
Buy @ 0.9076
S/L 0.9056
Target 0.9096
My target was hit after 23 minutes. (The whole change represented 20 point up of the 1/100 th of the smallest unit of GBP, say GBP ke 1 paise ka 1/100 th portion, sorry dont know the name :eek:)
My profit was $2.94.
Had I been trading 1 lot it would have been $294 and for 0.1 it would have been $29.4.
The obvious thing here is the lot size and whether you have the amount of money required. There you need to have a solid MM rules to get by. (I trade by no more than 2% of my capital). And, yes I dint take any leverage but if there is a 99% probability move(which occurs one or twice a month I go all out with a lot and max of 5% risk).
I would say it is easier to make 5% of capital a day in forex if you use your head as compared to stocks.(Btw, I have just started on Indian stocks and some fundas are really not clear so trying some paper trading first.)
Agreeing with you.

ag_fx

Lot size 0.01
Buy @ 0.9076
S/L 0.9056
Target 0.9096

My profit was $2.94.

Very Well said friend...

And yes...the smallest unit is called a Pip :)

You are very right about making 5% a day in Forex...but I guess leverage plays an important role in it...Without leverage...I am not too sure how can dat be done untill and unless you have a system netting 500 pips a day...

Like u said,for your example trade, you dint take any leverage...so a 20 pip movement earned you close to $3....If u were trading with a $1000 account(dats what I inferred from your post), this trade fetched u 0.3% return....so in order to make 5%, a 500 pip movement is required in ur favour...

Let us know your thots over the same.

Happy Trading

vicky_ag

Very Well said friend...

And yes...the smallest unit is called a Pip :)

You are very right about making 5% a day in Forex...but I guess leverage plays an important role in it...Without leverage...I am not too sure how can dat be done untill and unless you have a system netting 500 pips a day...

Like u said,for your example trade, you dint take any leverage...so a 20 pip movement earned you close to $3....If u were trading with a $1000 account(dats what I inferred from your post), this trade fetched u 0.3% return....so in order to make 5%, a 500 pip movement is required in ur favour...

Let us know your thots over the same.

Happy Trading
Ankit, there I meant the smallest unit of GBP, as in smallest unit of INR is paise. The move represented was 20 *1/100th of Smallest unit in GBP. :)

The name PIP is used for an arbitrary measure of your success or loss. The reason for using PIP as measure is cause of different loss or profit for different currency pairs.
Example for my EUR/GBP example 20 pips meant $2.93 profit.
But, had I been trading EUR/USD it would have been just $2 on the same 20 pip movement.

If I may extrapolate on my example, as there is some confusion left as to making 5% a day. Even my previous example was a bit off.
Take a $500 account. On it 2% would mean 500*0.02 = $10. So basically you are supposed to take a position such that if the trade is a loser it amounts to just $10 loss.
On a 1 lot $10 loss means 1 pip movement.
On a 1 mini lot $10 loss would mean 10 pip movement.
On a 1 microlot $10 loss would mean 100 pip movement.

(Now, if you look at the same example as above 20 pip movement against would have meant $2.93 loss on $1000 meaning a 0.3% loss, not a 3% loss. Sorry about the mistake, my trading platforms settings were set to a very conservative trade and I posted the same here without cross referencing.)
So, if I take the same trade as an example, I would have entered the trade with 1/2 a mini lot.
So,if the TP was hit, it would mean a profit of 2.93*5 = 14.65.
To achieve a target of 5% a day profit(1000*0.05 = 50), I need to take around 4-5 trades more to achieve that which is feasible if you are a full time trader.

The whole crux and the play of forex is that I dont need to depend on a single currency move to get my share of profit.(Like a 500 pip move) . I can take small 10 pip trades to achieve that.

For people confused my long talk about losses and not profits, in forex it is utmost important to control your losses and take limited profits. The leveraged nature of forex might make it easier to take huge profits but it is also means huge losses.

Ankit, there I meant the smallest unit of GBP, as in smallest unit of INR is paise. The move represented was 20 *1/100th of Smallest unit in GBP. :)

The name PIP is used for an arbitrary measure of your success or loss. The reason for using PIP as measure is cause of different loss or profit for different currency pairs.
Example for my EUR/GBP example 20 pips meant $2.93 profit.
But, had I been trading EUR/USD it would have been just $2 on the same 20 pip movement.

If I may extrapolate on my example, as there is some confusion left as to making 5% a day. Even my previous example was a bit off.
Take a $500 account. On it 2% would mean 500*0.02 = $10. So basically you are supposed to take a position such that if the trade is a loser it amounts to just $10 loss.
On a 1 lot $10 loss means 1 pip movement.
On a 1 mini lot $10 loss would mean 10 pip movement.
On a 1 microlot $10 loss would mean 100 pip movement.

(Now, if you look at the same example as above 20 pip movement against would have meant $2.93 loss on $1000 meaning a 0.3% loss, not a 3% loss. Sorry about the mistake, my trading platforms settings were set to a very conservative trade and I posted the same here without cross referencing.)
So, if I take the same trade as an example, I would have entered the trade with 1/2 a mini lot.
To achieve a target of 5% a day profit(1000*0.05 = 50), I need to take around 4-5 trades more to achieve that which is feasible if you are a full time trader.

The whole crux and the play of forex is that I dont need to depend on a single currency move to get my share of profit.(Like a 500 pip move) . I can take small 10 pip trades to achieve that.

For people confused my long talk about losses and not profits, in forex it is utmost important to control your losses and take limited profits. The leveraged nature of forex might make it easier to take huge profits but it is also means huge losses.
Hello Vicky,
which broker you use?
Which other brokers have you used?
Hows is experience regarding depositing and withdrawing procedure with each of them.
Kindly explain in details as its this issue that bothers me most .
Awaiting your reply:confused:;)

vicky_ag

Hello Vicky,
which broker you use?
Which other brokers have you used?
Hows is experience regarding depositing and withdrawing procedure with each of them.
Kindly explain in details as its this issue that bothers me most .
Awaiting your reply:confused:;)
I am with IBFX, I have been using my paypal account for withdrawing my money. But, beware using paypal will give you very low rates on the INR conversion as compared to current market price.
And you need a high limit Credit Card for withdrawing purposes. I recommend getting 2-3 different bank CC.
As for deposit, it can be done thru paypal.

I have used IBFX and they are good . I hear OandA is gud and same with Alpari.
Check their websites for their spreads, margins....

I am with IBFX, I have been using my paypal account for withdrawing my money. But, beware using paypal will give you very low rates on the INR conversion as compared to current market price.
And you need a high limit Credit Card for withdrawing purposes. I recommend getting 2-3 different bank CC.
As for deposit, it can be done thru paypal.

I have used IBFX and they are good . I hear OandA is gud and same with Alpari.
Check their websites for their spreads, margins....
I know about Oanda as that is my primary broker for last few years.
I also know about easy forex , fxopen with personal account experience .
I have accounts with fxcm ,fxdd but never used them for my personal deposit and withdrawals since the withdrawls with them are with only bank accounts which creates hell lot of problem in India.
I have not used IBFX though have account with them since we need to use credit card for deposit and withdrawals.
I dont see anywhere an option on IBFX about payapl.
Am i missing something? Where is option to fund through paypal on IBFX?
And if you can share if you use depositing with credit card then which bank credit card you use for that purpose and which credit card platinim, gold or any other is required for credit card deposits?

Thank you for your reply..

Regards
Pipshower

ag_fx

well...anoder confusion...in above trade...$2.93 profit was when u entered with a $1000....if u enter with 1/2 a mini lot(meaning $500), ur profit wud have been 2.93/2= $1.465

Thus, on one mini lot, a 20 pip movement(approx) would fetch you $1.465 for EURGBP.
In order to make 5% of ur account..that is 5 % of $500,which is $25, u wud need to make approx 20 such trades....which means 400-500 pips a day!!!!

I am not saying its not possible and all...so many currency pairs etc....it is very well possible....

All I am saying is, its much much more difficult without leverage...I think leverge is a double edged sword in Forex....If you can use it well, u can trade in huge profits...if not, it can kill u in very short span of time....

Happy Trading