Cyber Security

DanPSup

Hedge Strategy Trader in Options and Futures
Logitech

Do you want to do the post or do you want me to do it? Research was not so easy, but I have done it now and could post about it tomorrow.

DanPSup

Update on "Logitech":

- Keyboards:

Please download the Device Firmware Update Tool and follow the steps in order to update your keyboard.

Device Firmware Update Tool for PC
https://aws13-customer-care-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/Software/SecureDFU/Win/SecureDFU_48.exe

Device Firmware Update Tool for Mac
https://aws13-customer-care-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/Software/SecureDFU/Mac/SecureDFU.zip

You can always contact us from: http://support.logitech.com/contact

(Source: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-001/...sleep-Issue-affecting-some-Logitech-Keyboards)

- Logitech R400, R700, and R800 Receiver Update:

Q: How should I protect my privacy when using my Logitech products?
A:
We recommend users to apply common-sense security measures such as removing the receiver from the computer when the presentation remote is not being used and storing it in the device.
We are also addressing it in an upcoming firmware update, which will allow the receiver to accept only limited inputs specific to a presenter, such as the “next slide” command. Customers who have heightened security concerns may contact Logitech customer care for a receiver replacement with this updated firmware expected to be available early September 2019.

(Source: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-001/...3-Logitech-R400-R700-and-R800-Receiver-Update)

- Logitech device and the Logitech Unifying USB receiver:

Q: Can I install a firmware upgrade to protect me against this? How?
A
: Two of the vulnerabilities (known as CVE-2019-13053 and CVE-2019-13052) would be difficult for an attacker to exploit and can be effectively protected against by applying the computing privacy guidelines above. We won’t address these with a firmware update as this would negatively impact interoperability with other Unifying devices. However, we take security very seriously and we recommend our customers update their wireless Unifying USB receivers to our current latest firmware.
We are actively working on a further firmware update that will address the third vulnerability (known as CVE-2019-13054/55). We expect this to be available for all applicable devices in August, 2019. We will update this page with more information at that time.

(Source: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360033207154-Logitech-Unifying-Receiver-Update)

DanPSup

"Windows 10"

The July update in W10 is again a little mess as many will have recognized. By the way: I am completly against W10, but let me show the following as this will help and even protect W10 users from unwanted updates. Updates are a must, but some times it is better to wait a few days to see or hear how others did with them. And as the net is very fast in spreading information we will soon hear if the newest updates are fine or not.

- How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates:

Windows 10 PCs automatically check for updates and install any updates they find. You can take some control over this and have Windows 10 install updates on your schedule, but these options are hidden. Windows Update really wants to automatically update on Windows 10.

Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10 have access to group policy and registry settings for this, but even Home editions of Windows 10 give you a way to stop updates from automatically downloading.

1. Prevent Automatic Downloading of Updates on a Specific Connection

2. Stop Windows Update From Automatically Rebooting Your Computer

3. Prevent Windows Update From Installing Specific Updates and Drivers

4. Use Group Policy to Disable Automatic Updates (Professional Editions Only)

5. Use the Registry to Disable Automatic Updates (Professional Editions Only)

How it is done you will find in the following link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

DanPSup

Hidden Bowser History in Windows OS

Recently I had a discussion about a person who told that when even she cleared her Windows OS with CCleaner, it would be able to trace here visited pages in browsers. But the person I talked with had no clue how this could happen. So I did some research and found the following article. I did a test and it worked, but only if you are the admin of the system you use. If you are only a visitor on any system with minimized options, you may are not able to do this.

Source: from Alex Wilde - Nov 22, 2012

It is not enough to delete the history in the browser: the Windows operating system also remembers all the websites you have visited recently.

Here is how it goes:

How to get out websites you've already visited: Open the prompt with [Windows R] and cmd. Enter the following command:

ipconfig /displaydns | find "Entry name"

Windows does not display the entire Internet address, only the domain names – but many domain names are meaningful enough.

That's why Windows stores visited Internet addresses: Behind every Internet address is an IP address. To ensure that the browser knows which IP address is behind an Internet address to be opened, Windows queries the IP address on the Internet. To have the IP address immediately ready when you reopen the same Internet address, Windows saves it for some time.

To delete the list of visited Internet addresses: On the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns.

You can remove the browsing history physically from the browser using "Ctrl+Shift+Del". I do it daily for all the browsers I use.
Hidden Bowser History in Windows OS

Recently I had a discussion about a person who told that when even she cleared her Windows OS with CCleaner, it would be able to trace here visited pages in browsers. But the person I talked with had no clue how this could happen. So I did some research and found the following article. I did a test and it worked, but only if you are the admin of the system you use.

Source: from Alex Wilde - Nov 22, 2012

It is not enough to delete the history in the browser: the Windows operating system also remembers all the websites you have visited recently.

Here is how it goes:

How to get out websites you've already visited: Open the prompt with [Windows R] and cmd. Enter the following command:

ipconfig /displaydns | find "Entry name"

Windows does not display the entire Internet address, only the domain names – but many domain names are meaningful enough.

That's why Windows stores visited Internet addresses: Behind every Internet address is an IP address. To ensure that the browser knows which IP address is behind an Internet address to be opened, Windows queries the IP address on the Internet. To have the IP address immediately ready when you reopen the same Internet address, Windows saves it for some time.

To delete the list of visited Internet addresses: On the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns.

DanPSup

You can remove the browsing history physically from the browser using "Ctrl+Shift+Del". I do it daily for all the browsers I use.
TP: Removing the browsers history physically from the browser will not remove the information stored in 'Windows Operating System'. This looks like the following:

2.PNG

And specific this informations should be removed from the Operating System. As I am at the moment on the move and not on my own system, did you control in your Windows OS if "Ctrl+Shift+Del" removed those informations I show under ipconfig.... and not in the browsers history?

DanPSup

At the end of this post you will find a link which will show you all kinds of other links to test your privacy online.

Online privacy tests help you find out what kind of information your browser (or other programs) reveal. The information itself is useful, but you can also act upon it, for instance by disabling certain features in the program you are using if you don't require them.

You find two listings below. The basic tests listing contains resources that perform simple tests (usually one) only while the advanced tests listing resources that run a series of tests.

The ultimate Online Privacy Test Resource List by Martin Brinkmann

Whenever you connect with a program to an Internet resource, a web browser to a website for instance, information are revealed to the server hosting the resource.

That's automatic, and often not the only thing happening. If that site loads resources from other servers, they too gain information, and depending on what is running on the site and supported by the browser, additional information may be revealed.

Usually, information such as your computer's IP address, a user agent that reveals browser, operating system and language, and a handful of other information are revealed automatically during connections.

While there are methods available to hide or block certain information from being made known to sites you connect to, there are also methods that sites can use to find out more about you.

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/28/the-ultimate-online-privacy-test-resource-list/

KAL.YUG

Why It Matters 2:
Ep 9: Losing Yourself

Is free wifi safe to use? Can 'secured' websites be faked? Is your personal information really worth stealing? In his hunt for answers, host Joshua Lim finds himself at the mercy of a cybersleuth.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/video-on-demand/why-it-matters/losing-yourself-11075194

Watch @ 27 min just to know how unsafe it is to use free WiFi and how easy it is to steal information from your devices, record/listen to conversations, download data without you even suspecting.