Why Technical Indicators Dose Not Work ?

sudoku1

Number of formulas, indicators and number of Trading systems are available on the web,on the various forum and providers....
All are finding...searching....learning....and...so on....so on....etc.

But all we realize that.....there is no any perfect indicator,formula or system that can make constant profit...

So question is...

Why the indicator or system dose not work..???

If you believe that it dose not work..
I will discuss latter..

:cool:
for a particular job , der r 100rds skilled applicants who r eager 2 join a company bt only a few r selected . among d unsucessful ones, sm blame der bad luck, sm blame demselves, sm try another 1, sm feel let down n end depressed.
like wise here wen 1 attempts 2 interpret charts n does nt find D WAY HE WNTS 2 SEE D CHARTS WRKING, he gets depressed aftr a few attempts.
its human pshchology dat d way u intepret urself, u will see things likewise:)

what he is trying to say is , he has read the "ytc price action trader" book by Lance Beggs and quoting from that book

:D:D:D
Yes Dear,
you are right,

The conclusion of YTC :
1.trade with 3 time frame
2.use uper time frame for finding support & resistant
3.use middle time frame to find trend.
4.trade as per middle time frame as per strenth and weakness of trend
5.trade around support & resistant area
6.and fine tune your trade with lower time fram

But after all YTC is also moving around price action and also using MA on their chart

Thinking about Profit from learning with YTC is usless...!!!

I have also read number of books like this..

But I am thinking beyond THE PRICE,

for a particular job , der r 100rds skilled applicants who r eager 2 join a company bt only a few r selected . among d unsucessful ones, sm blame der bad luck, sm blame demselves, sm try another 1, sm feel let down n end depressed.
like wise here wen 1 attempts 2 interpret charts n does nt find D WAY HE WNTS 2 SEE D CHARTS WRKING, he gets depressed aftr a few attempts.
its human pshchology dat d way u intepret urself, u will see things likewise:)
"criticism is the Talent of People who have no other Talent"
and also "Criticism is the information that will help you grow"

-- and that is why I always welcome critics,

Thank you & welcome Sir

sudoku1

"criticism is the Talent of People who have no other Talent"
and also "Criticism is the information that will help you grow"

-- and that is why I always welcome critics,

Thank you & welcome Sir

take it as constructiv criticism friend..nthing is imposible !:)

They do work in the conditions they were made for. If we talk about high market volatility, the indicators might get quite useless. However trading on the calm pairs like EURCHF or AUDCAD with indicators are pretty easy.

Giraffe

I keep a tab on your thread from time to time, your a born teacher! I thought tape reading was not possible on indian exchanges as they dont supply the tape? I am a successful FA investor but I am looking for some SOLID motivation so that I can make a leap of faith, Any help guys?
Indian Exchanges do supply the tape. But only few data feeds have it. GDFL now is a cheaper option, before that only Esignal provided the tape (As far as I know).
But yes, it is neither provided on any of the trading terminals nor by most of the data feeds.

jahan

But I am thinking beyond THE PRICE,
Hello,

Its ok that ur Thinking beyond the Price..........what about the questions i raised in my previous post.

if ur thinking beyond the price....means charts are useless to u.....may be ur trying to get insider information....good luck

and by the way if ur believing Efficient Market Hypothesis(EMH in the sense of reality) ur fooling yourself.

i don't know how u will trade Thinking beyond the price?. even fundamental Analysts can't ignore the Price and related quantifiable data.

Regards,

Giraffe

Why Technical Indicators Dose Not Work ?
Hmmmmmmmm............. a difficult one that is...:thumb:

Answer, IMHO, is that its not the question of indicator or system, but a question of edge and adaptation.

Edge: When Munehisa Homma first invented candlesticks, it gave him the edge to analyse the price of rice futures in a "better" way compared to his fellow competitors. This edge over the others made Munehisa Homma the one of the richest non-royals of the medieval age.

An indicator may provide a better perspective of the price, and simplify the study compared to a crude analysis of the pure price. That's what most indicators attempt to do: to provide a different perspective of the crude price and volume data. After all, real market is a series of transactions between two parties. One person sells some quantity that other one buys it at a fixed price. But one can't analyse the market in its crudest form by monitoring each and every trade. (Tape Readers are the elites that do so.......:rofl:).

So once the edge is lost, the indicator would cease to work as intended. A morning star is "classically" a bullish reversal signal. But an institutional desk offloading a particular il-liquid stock may easily create a fake morning start to lure buyers to buy the stocks they want to offload. If they only knew about the morning star, they would hunt for such opportunities to go long in that stock. So its just a question of deceiving others.
All warfare is based on deception (Master Sun Tzu)...:rofl:
Problem with indicators not working is that, anyone who is even little bit serious can learn about candlesticks and indicators in few months. And this is what is happening, most of the market participants now a trading with the same knowledge. But trading is a sum zero game (most of the time), so one must loose for other to earn.

Adaptability: Again, suppose you have a super indicator/system that makes you a very good return. But trading is a sum zero game (most of the time). If someone is consistently pulling out huge amount of money from the market, others will not continue to keep loosing money. Newbies will soon run out of the money and quit, and the enlightened beings will soon reassess there strategy and modify there moves.

They say 95% traders loose money, but that money goes to the remaining 5%. The fight is for the limited amount of money that is lost by a fraction and gained by the other fraction. Any superior system, can't disbalance this say, "95% loosing to the enlightened 5% dictum" for a prolonged period. The enlightened 5% will soon adapt. The fight is for a limited amount of "float".

Secret to trading mastery doesnot lie in the indicators, but in the anticipating the actions of the all market participants (from newbies to huge institutional desk). With time it will change, and one must adapt to it. (For e.g. Stock splitting, earlier it was a considered a sign of huge positive trend, but now.....:p)
Indicators are just a tool that will help in trading, like a chisel is to sculpting. Michelangelo's chisel sculpted the Pieta. However, Pieta exist primarily because of the sculptors skills, not because of his chisel.

Hi,

I think I am replying late , but i couldn't resist myself to express my views. Most of the newbies when they start playing with those indicators think that they got the holy grail. but after spending 1000 hours, and doing some paper trade they feel that TA doesn't work.
What I think is In day trading, technical analysis is not needed(Again debatable !), what we have to do is we have to find support and resistance and watch price action carefully at those level.
But the million dollar questions is : How to find those support and resistance. to find the s & r no technical indicators are needed just Initial range, D(-1) High and Low, D(-2) high & low , and week high and low are sufficient.
and look for price action when stock is trading near those S&R.:thumb:

Mr.G

Indian Exchanges do supply the tape. But only few data feeds have it. GDFL now is a cheaper option, before that only Esignal provided the tape (As far as I know).
But yes, it is neither provided on any of the trading terminals nor by most of the data feeds.
I have seen older dealers, who are have many years experience. They trade accounts on behalf of their clients. They see order book and trade. is that same as tape reading?