Why Day trading is Tough and only 2-3% are successful

manishchan

we had a teenager trader here , uski mom trading karte samay usko samose lane bhej deti thi , he was like yahan mera trade phansa hai , inko samose ki padi hai :rofl::rofl:

Usko bolna chahiye tha... 20 rupees ke samose ke chakkar me 2000 ka loss karaya...utne me to returant me nice dinner ho jata.

Bt on serious note, one must think like this. My wife doesnt drive so smtimes she used yo ask me to drop her for sm outside work.. I did it few times nd returned to see sm nice trade got missed. I explained this to her?..she understood nd nw takes cab if she has to go out.

Funda simple hai.....business time me dukaan chorna nahi chahiye... u will miss sm big time ledger changing trades which comes only 2-3 times in a month ;)

oilman5

Dear Smart Trade,

Please explain what supply/demand equation means ?
TIA.
just see nifty 10min candle forming , ideal day last Thursday , u can see next candle in conntinuation, in brief see attack of bull at LOW, agressive sell at high.
If after new bar cross of last top and still new order vis-a-vis price up bias ,so is uptrend= bulls r winning decisively .
every candle 10min clearly shows in between bull/bear fight

XRAY27

Minimum requirement for day trader

1. Separate room for trading along with good PC/laptop and entry into that room is barred from 9.00 AM to 3.30PM

2. Back up for internet...

3. Rules book

3. Inverter for power failures.

Last edited:

amitrandive

Keep a seperate room for trading. If u are serius, u hv to treat it like a business... keep a seperate room...put a proper trading desk with your laptop, desktop....if u hv sm printed/writtrn rules etc...pen papers...calculator...power backup..net back up etc. Yeah...water bottle nd sm snacks to munch on (very imp :p)

Also, you must restrict your family members from disturbing you between 9-3... dont attend calls guests etc.

These are first things a daytrader needs. Concentration on charts..entry..exit..profit loss comes after this :)
Manish

A Family is never a distraction.
A person's family is one of the greatest wealth's that he will ever have.
Treasure every moment with your family and take time to ensure that the life story you create with your family is the one that you will be proud of and look back on with a huge smile.

Manish

Treasure every moment with your family and take time to ensure that the life story you create with your family is the one that you will be proud of and look back on with a huge smile.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:.............diffrent people different thinking.........and different trading Psychology....

Last edited:
Family should not affect trading and trading should not affect family. Both are important and both have their own places.

Families distracting traders while trading is bad and traders taking out trading frustrations on family is also bad...one must balance the two.

Smart_trade

manishchan

Manish

Ahh come on.. i didnt say family is distraction in general term... I guess you just took it literraly :D

I simply meant one has to be strict abt concentration.. if a working person goes to office, does it mean he is going away from family ?? No...right ! Similarily if a trader is restricting them from disturbing between work time..doesnt mean he considers family as distraction. :)

Consider the teenager's example TR gave up about guy going to buy samosa for family when he is in trade. He did good thing coz he cared for the family. But just imagine same thing continues everyday..every month. So he is unable to make profits which may be is doing to run the family. Now family doesn't hv money and in turn everyone is unhappy.. the trader guy is failure and then the entire family is in trouble.

Solution - Family understands that they shouldn't ask/disturb the trader guy between certain time. After trading time he will nywyas spend time with them do wht they wnt him to do. This way both happy.. money also coming to run the family. (now this is exactly what I meant by the above post that family shouldn't distract between 9-3).. It could be family, guest, sm loud noise outside.. etc etc.. could be anything.

Like ST Da mentioned above... family shouldnt affect trading..nd trading shouldnt affect family. Both must be given itz due focus nd attention otherwise one will fail in both..trading as well as keeping d relationship :)

Last edited:

lemondew

Very nice write up. Loved the first 2 points.

In point 2 to start then its good to go 1 by 1 If have a good strategy for trending days. Then work on identifying trending days and trade only on trending days. Holiday in the other days. Rather than analysing too many strategies in different market types and figuring out where to do what. I chosen to trade only certain market types and want to work in figuring out my day. Like wait with patience and when it comes then strike hard.

Lessons I learnt the hard way in day trading.

1) Think of how much you can lose before considering and imagining about raining profits each month. I initially used a trading system with win percentage of 33% and R:R of 1:4. It was a good system but the drawdowns made me doubt myself, so I had to move to a system with winning percentage of minimum 50% so that drawdowns were less painful even though R:R of 1:2 was only possible.

It is better to have a system with minimum 50% win from back testing as the severity in a loosing streak is reduced in this case.

probability of one loosing trade is 1/2 or 0.5 or 50%

probability of consecutive 6 loosing trade is 0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*0.5*05 or 1.5625%

and the chance of seventh consecutive loosing trading is less than 1% so I can trade in a peaceful manner risking 1% each trade.

2) Any strategy that works in a trending market does not work in a ranging market and vice versa. This I had to learn the hard way. It is better to have two strategies, it is easy to have two strategies one for trending market and one for trading market. It is easy for anyone to have two strategies one for trending and one for trading, but the toughest part is having a method to gauge the market whether it is in trending mode or trading mode.

This was one of the toughest phases for me, once this is figured out loosing trades reduced considerably and I reached break even stage of trader. This is not even enough to profit each month from market. You will loose one day win another day and this goes on till you are ready to accept whatever market teaches you.

3) Next stage was distinguishing between sub sections of trending and trading market and equipping yourself to find what is the type of market currently.

Currently I use 4 strategies one for each type of market scenario.

trending:
1.Normal trend.
2.Fast trend.
trading:
3.Normal sideways.
4.Channel sideways.
5.Not tradable.

4) Higher time frame analysis.

This always helps, but I had difficulty in watching 30 min charts 5 and 1 as well in the same time, so I do not check higher time frame but use a method where I get a signal only when 30 min is trending, using bollinger bands. However, have noticed that most of the reversals happen at higher time frame support and resistance or higher time frame decision points. Currently, I use SMA(21) to take trades in the direction of higher time frame. This is one thing I need to learn and make sure to implement in my trading strategy.

5) Scaling in and out:

This is the one I still need to learn, but I guess will make a huge difference in my min monthly returns and max monthly drawdown. Once the things I am trying to implement in my trading strategy.