Trading Challenge - 1 (Crude oil - 1.75 L to 1 Cr in 300 trading days)

spent a long time in going over my shortcomings as a trader. lead was sideways until a while back so i did not trade after that one lone trade in the morning.

the list is quite long - just highlighting the main areas of concern -

a) scalping is a good weapon but i need to upgrade my arsenal

defense - i am working on it

correction - really - if serious - stop scalping / trading until you can trade positional or else just keep scalping away - focus on just one style at one time - that is the only and available alternate - period.

b) money management all over the place - (eg - no proper and decisive parameters to decide number of lots per trade)

defense - i am scalping so it does not really matter as long as i know the trade loss limit and abide by it - lots are anyway decided on the strength of the trade set up which is dynamic

correction - whatever - but ONLY buy number of lots below max number of lots you can afford in holding even when scalping, period

c) scalping metals is alright

defense - i have done it in the past and it does work

correction - scalping with near invisible volume ?? - height of stupidity - to cease this wild ride asap. you scalp only where there is high volume - period.

d) trading mini lots is a pain and for the learning period only

defense - i do not think i want to go back to mini lots at this stage. i am doing fine trading main lots

correction - from now you trade nothing but mini lots - period. (it is never what you 'think' you are that decides the rules of combat)

e) look to increase scalp trade quantity

defense - intend to work on the same asap - working on self and charts

correction - good - use weekend or take a break for a few days to fine tune yourself. a few days of 'not-trading' never gave anybody a loss.

f) no dedicated trading room/hifi terminal

defense - get disturbed and have to quit trading due external disturbances at times

correction - when you are a 'trader' you get a trading room/hifi terminal - as an 'baby trader' - what you have is not bad. so smile 'kiddo'. Find that one reason to succeed, not the million that do not let you make it.

g) i have other options beside day-trading

defense - but i like the challenge of day-trading so i chose this

correction - be 'worthy' of it - period. if not - go ahead and exercise the 'other options'.

f) having fun??

defense - i do have fun scalping

correction - any real trader would tell you thus - day trading is 'boring'. learning day trading is 'fun' though - lol - hopefully the fun should not last too long if you put in real effort to improve.

Very imp - not to touch the account and no withdrawals allowed once a firm desicion to trade in a disciplined manner has been taken. If in doubt i will withdraw before i start trading. Compounding of capital has to be used or else it is - remain stuck in this rut forever. Luckily i have some emgy funds that i will use for my running expenses and only if unavoidable i will use this last withdrawal from the trading account. However i intend to maintain my trading account at a minimum of 1 L. If i am good 1 L will suffice. Once i work out the emgy funds i will decide if i make one last withdrawal or leave trading capital as it is.

Let me see if i can put to good use the few days i intend to rectify the above and come back stronger whenever it feels like i am ready to 'trade'.

Lol, just some self analysis i do randomly to keep myself in check and try to improve the yet to be born trader in me.

Ignore it or just laugh it off as the rattling of a desperate newbie struggling to make it at any cost.

Last edited:
hi all

today just spent an hour to try out and test live the strategy that is almost going to be my final weapon for the next 50 weeks ahead.
(300/5 ie 5 trading days per week = 60 weeks - 3 weeks gone by = 57 weeks left - 7 weeks i may not trade for some silly reason or the other = so effective time i have is 50 weeks)

i am nearly all set for monday and will take tomorrow off too from the challenge. need a few final tweaks to get set.

withdrew money from trading account to make it 1 L exact but the trail trades today took it up again by some 2000 odd. i may not need any more than a few live trades now i am sure so whatever the capital on monday morning is will be my start. like i stated earlier - this was my final withdrawal.

now i will be primarily hunting crude and occasional trying or learning to trade positional in metals mini lots on holding.

and yes - if this set up works well (will decide by Saturday evening final) then i can afford to post my trades in real time. let me see how well i adapt to the tweaks i made.

all i need from the week coming up is this - 16550 net / 3310 net avg daily. i will be just working towards the weekly target and once a while yes - review the big picture.

goodnight

Gm all,

just entered crude mini shorts @ 4906 - final tweaking in progress - let me see - i may wrap up today after this trade and that will be that i guess

edit - ok, out @ 4900 - all 10 mini lots - trade closed (small gains i know but it was a good trade)

waiting for pullback and may re-enter short or long if this was a bear trap - let us see.

1114 hrs - ok - edit: short again - looks like crude is on the way down to me (i am on the 3 min chart so my view is narrow and restricted and very short term)
- let me see how good i am adapting to my new TP - will move to 15 min TF if it moves in my direction unlike last one which was a scalp
:)rolleyes: - contra i know - trying new stuff)

edit 1127 hrs - exit @ 4900 (sell was @ 4900) - was 10 mini lots again - so took a brokerage loss hit - i am done for a while - going back to tweaks. Good trade - did not let ego delay exit and closed trade as soon as doubt set in.

edit 1255 hrs - short 10 minis @ 4895

Last edited:

goldenedge

Gm all,

just entered crude mini shorts @ 4906 - final tweaking in progress - let me see - i may wrap up today after this trade and that will be that i guess

edit - ok, out @ 4900 - all 10 mini lots - trade closed (small gains i know but it was a good trade)

waiting for pullback and may re-enter short or long if this was a bear trap - let us see.

1114 hrs - ok - edit: short again - looks like crude is on the way down to me (i am on the 3 min chart so my view is narrow and restricted and very short term)
- let me see how good i am adapting to my new TP - will move to 15 min TF if it moves in my direction unlike last one which was a scalp
:)rolleyes: - contra i know - trying new stuff)

edit 1127 hrs - exit @ 4900 (sell was @ 4900) - was 10 mini lots again - so took a brokerage loss hit - i am done for a while - going back to tweaks. Good trade - did not let ego delay exit and closed trade as soon as doubt set in.

edit 1255 hrs - short 10 minis @ 4895

way too many trades. You need higher reward risk ratio to make this sustainable.

way too many trades. You need higher reward risk ratio to make this sustainable.
i will look at ways i can implement your advice seriously.
(due to a misconceived notion i have embedded in my brain i count only positional as trades - must rectify this i know).

took one scalp that went ok - second scalp was brokerage loss.

third trade was as per 1 hr and in positional and number of lots is capped so as to roll over if required - added 10 more lots @ 4915 so the avg holding is 4905 X 20 mini lots. (shorts)

guess this is the last trade for today. this positional trade will decide if i just scalp from monday or do an occasional positional too.

good trading to you

Edit - squared off position @ 4879. Hard for a scalper to let go a juicy profit. Positional remains a impossible dream, lol.

Done for today, was good - some 4000 plus i guess. No point in being foolish and losing it by risking my luck.

Last edited:
received my book last week and i was really exited about this read.
most of you may have already read it but for those who have not it is a great inspiring read

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-TurtleTrader-Investors-Overnight-Millionaires-ebook/dp/B000W94CZ8
(lol - i have nothing to do with amazon - just posted the link from where i made my purchase)

just a quote from the link above -
This is the true story behind Wall Street legend Richard Dennis, his disciples, the Turtles, and the trading techniques that made them millionaires.
What happens when ordinary people are taught a system to make extraordinary money? Richard Dennis made a fortune on Wall Street by investing according to a few simple rules. Convinced that great trading was a skill that could be taught to anyone, he made a bet with his partner and ran a classified ad in the Wall Street Journal looking for novices to train. His recruits, later known as the Turtles, had anything but traditional Wall Street backgrounds; they included a professional blackjack player, a pianist, and a fantasy game designer. For two weeks, Dennis taught them his investment rules and philosophy, and set them loose to start trading, each with a million dollars of his money. By the time the experiment ended, Dennis had made a hundred million dollars from his Turtles and created one killer Wall Street legend.

most of you may have already read it but for those who have not it is a great inspiring read

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-TurtleTrader-Investors-Overnight-Millionaires-ebook/dp/B000W94CZ8
(lol - i have nothing to do with amazon - just posted the link from where i made my purchase)

This is the true story behind Wall Street legend Richard Dennis, his disciples, the Turtles, and the trading techniques that made them millionaires.
What happens when ordinary people are taught a system to make extraordinary money? Richard Dennis made a fortune on Wall Street by investing according to a few simple rules. Convinced that great trading was a skill that could be taught to anyone, he made a bet with his partner and ran a classified ad in the Wall Street Journal looking for novices to train. His recruits, later known as the Turtles, had anything but traditional Wall Street backgrounds; they included a professional blackjack player, a pianist, and a fantasy game designer. For two weeks, Dennis taught them his investment rules and philosophy, and set them loose to start trading, each with a million dollars of his money. By the time the experiment ended, Dennis had made a hundred million dollars from his Turtles and created one killer Wall Street legend.
Does turtle say anywhere that "past performance is not a guarantee of future performance" ??

rjshem

one of my all time favourite book along with jesse Livermore's reminiscence of a stock operator I read and reread manytimes still don't get bored also recommend for all traders who like reading books.