Tracking PUT CALL Open Interest

Thanks.

Plseae help me ... for

1. how to calculate volatility
2. how to calculate Delta (during market hrs, EOD etc..)

Just extending what SM has mentioned in my language..

Buyer and seller are always equal.. Be it volume for a stock..or OI for options.
Just imaging a dance floor where only couples are allowed and each couple is counted as 1.
If there are more couples dancing, i.e floor is crowded.. means probably the band is playing good music or the song is really good.

Once couples go back to their dining table, i.e. floor is empty or less couples on the floor, maybe song is bad, or music is crap or something else.

OI just tells us the amount of interested parties who are currently in the market. If They it is increasing, means more people are joing the party.. and if reducing, means people are leaving the floor.

Hope this helps. (my dumb example. helps me in clearing the clutter of rules and remembering the concept)

Happy Trading
one of the best explanations on OI. thanks ! now i can retain what increase/decrease of OI implies.

Scorpio, scope of your chart is limited to NF and Futures OI. The rules for reading futures OI are quite straight forward... (I am sure u already know it, but still posting those rules for the benefit of others)..

There are 2 dimension to reading futures OI.. one is direction of price move to give us bullish or bearish interpretation.. and second is rise or fall in OI telling us whether new money is entering the mkt OR existing money is leaving the mkt. So if we put these two togather then we are in better position to know if the trend shown by price is supported by new money i.e has stregth.. or not it lacks the strength.

Standard rules are
1) prices rising + total open interest increases, => new money is flowing into the market reflecting aggressive buying, and is considered bullish
2) prices are rising + open interest is declining==> money is leaving the market i.e people are closing their prev trade and closing the trades hence the rally is primarily a result of short covering

3) prices are declining + open interest rises ==> new money is flowing into the market, reflecting aggressive new short selling i.e. bearish
4) Prices are declining + open interest declining ==> the price decline is being caused by losing longs being forced to liquidate their positions i.e long covering.

Now with this background let me interpret the chart posted by you.

As you have mentioned, on majority of time, trend of OI is in sync with the NF direction. This is more obvious during the day. Near the end of the day, geneally Daytraders will windup their position so we will see drop in OI and rise in price.. i.e. divergence.. which u can around 3.00pm on both days.

On 4th, this divergence was much bigger and lasted for longer time.. i.e. obviously more traders came out from indicision shown by the mkt.. and reduced their weekend risk. There traders might have carried position on 3rd night.
As 3rd/4th was quite narrow days 80 points range compared to average of 100 points range.. I interpret it as that there was low participation of big smart players.. so most of the action was by day or swing traders or small smart money.

During the day, u might see this divergence in price and OI direction as advance indication of what is going to come.. observe the continuous increase in OI on 3rd between 13:00 to 14:00 when price was falling. There was high vol bar at 13:00. where bear have absorbed the demand (as per VSA concept).. And then price never crossed the high of this bar. This divergence was signal for the drop from lower High around 14:00.

This is how I will read this chart and interpret OI/volume/Price..Hope this helps.

Happy Trading
very nice explanation AW10 sir thanks

Scorpio, scope of your chart is limited to NF and Futures OI. The rules for reading futures OI are quite straight forward... (I am sure u already know it, but still posting those rules for the benefit of others)..

There are 2 dimension to reading futures OI.. one is direction of price move to give us bullish or bearish interpretation.. and second is rise or fall in OI telling us whether new money is entering the mkt OR existing money is leaving the mkt. So if we put these two togather then we are in better position to know if the trend shown by price is supported by new money i.e has stregth.. or not it lacks the strength.

Standard rules are
1) prices rising + total open interest increases, => new money is flowing into the market reflecting aggressive buying, and is considered bullish
2) prices are rising + open interest is declining==> money is leaving the market i.e people are closing their prev trade and closing the trades hence the rally is primarily a result of short covering

3) prices are declining + open interest rises ==> new money is flowing into the market, reflecting aggressive new short selling i.e. bearish
4) Prices are declining + open interest declining ==> the price decline is being caused by losing longs being forced to liquidate their positions i.e long covering.

Now with this background let me interpret the chart posted by you.

As you have mentioned, on majority of time, trend of OI is in sync with the NF direction. This is more obvious during the day. Near the end of the day, geneally Daytraders will windup their position so we will see drop in OI and rise in price.. i.e. divergence.. which u can around 3.00pm on both days.

On 4th, this divergence was much bigger and lasted for longer time.. i.e. obviously more traders came out from indicision shown by the mkt.. and reduced their weekend risk. There traders might have carried position on 3rd night.
As 3rd/4th was quite narrow days 80 points range compared to average of 100 points range.. I interpret it as that there was low participation of big smart players.. so most of the action was by day or swing traders or small smart money.

During the day, u might see this divergence in price and OI direction as advance indication of what is going to come.. observe the continuous increase in OI on 3rd between 13:00 to 14:00 when price was falling. There was high vol bar at 13:00. where bear have absorbed the demand (as per VSA concept).. And then price never crossed the high of this bar. This divergence was signal for the drop from lower High around 14:00.

This is how I will read this chart and interpret OI/volume/Price..Hope this helps.

Happy Trading[/QUOTE

:clap::clap::clap::thumb:

Good explanations sir... thankyou sir

(thanks button not displaying for me...Why ?????)
Vijayakumar

Just extending what SM has mentioned in my language..

Buyer and seller are always equal.. Be it volume for a stock..or OI for options.
Just imaging a dance floor where only couples are allowed and each couple is counted as 1.
If there are more couples dancing, i.e floor is crowded.. means probably the band is playing good music or the song is really good.

Once couples go back to their dining table, i.e. floor is empty or less couples on the floor, maybe song is bad, or music is crap or something else.

OI just tells us the amount of interested parties who are currently in the market. If They it is increasing, means more people are joing the party.. and if reducing, means people are leaving the floor.

Hope this helps. (my dumb example. helps me in clearing the clutter of rules and remembering the concept)

Happy Trading
Thanks. I have understood for the first time, despite lot of earlier reading.

regards

Rajeev