Thoughts on "The A to Z of trading career - musings of a professional trader !!"

lemondew

Max dd is that sequence of losses or max points lost from the highest point.
Cant this sequence LLLWLLLLWLLLLWLLLLWLLLLW lead to eating away 60 % capital. This is not consequetive loosers.

or WDD: Worst Peak-to-Valley Drawdown as represented by the program’s largest percentage decline.

If that is the case then in my view a 1:7 would be very good.MG has a point.

My friend, max draw-down is not a one time event, it is the worst case scenario (sequence of consecutive losses) for your system as observed in the historical test sample. This will help you make a rough estimation of how your system may perform in future.

I am not saying it should not be done but If you want to use lifetime CAGR return then better compare it with the lifetime average annual draw-down... so that the measurement metrics are at same scale.

lemondew

As per this link

https://www.managedfutures.com/top_cta_rankings.aspx

they best companys worst drawdown since inception is 7.7% and annualized return is 17.7%

If they had 100RS during worst drawdown it went to 93 before becoming 117.7. Isnt that what they mean. So if they lost 100 points they shd ve made a little more than 200 points. Anyways as said earlier it has big capital.

Good discussions by @ncube and @mindgames. Din't i tell you that you guys are much more informed on backtesting parameters? :)

Anyways, let me try to illustrate what i wanted to say in simpler way. Lets take a Nifty system for example with 5 years of backtested results

System parameters

Year 1 - 1200 points made with 180 points max DD (in that year)
Year 2 – 1400 points made with 165 points max DD
Year 3 – 1000 points with 160 pts max DD
Year 4 – 1850 points with 200 points max DD
Year 5 – 1300 points with 160 points DD

So, average points for 5 years = 1350 and max DD for 5 years = 200 points. What we are interested in is the ratio of average points to max DD for that particular timeframe and it is 1350:200 = 6.75:1 in this example.

@mindgames – we are not considering CAGR here. Hope the above illustration made my point clear. Please let me know your question (if any)

When a trader has a system that gives him only 100 trades per year, how do we make it to give 350 trades in a year? Am not able to understand the logic behind this statement. How do we extrapolate the trades from 100 to 350 in any given year? Can you please explain?

lemondew

Madan,

Can you just point different ways of learning minute details of market?
I know
1) Chart.
2) backtest ( Checking logic results)

Backtest helped me to see somethings which I couldnt notice from chart. Charts help me to make some kind of logic for backtesting. Tweaking logic (curve fitting) many consider harmful but it has revealed few things for me. Any other things you guys use?

ncube

Max dd is that sequence of losses or max points lost from the highest point.
Cant this sequence LLLWLLLLWLLLLWLLLLWLLLLW lead to eating away 60 % capital. This is not consequetive loosers.

or WDD: Worst Peak-to-Valley Drawdown as represented by the program’s largest percentage decline.

If that is the case then in my view a 1:7 would be very good.MG has a point.
@lemondew Yes, its not just consecutive, Max DD points are the points lost from the highest point to the lowest point in the equity curve. I.e if the initial capital is 100000 and during DD it goes to 40000 and later comes back to 100000, then the max drawdown is 60%.

When we do backtesting we try to identify for the selected time period what is the max draw down and what is the total return at the end of the period. For example we started with a capital of 100000 and we went into a drawdown of 40% (capital=60000) and by the end of the time period the capital went up to 140000. i,e profit of 40%. In this case the system has a Total Return:Max DD ratio of 40:40 = 1:1. Based on this one need to decide if he is ok for a DD of 40% to make 40% return.

I think there is a confusion here, the ratio suggested by madan are to measure the systems max DD: Total Return for each selected time period, i.e if 1 considers 1 yr as measurement period then the system Max DD: Total return should be 1:7 i.e 50:350/100:700/200:1400 etc to be considered as a good system to ensure compounding happens faster. As @Happy_Singh mentioned the Recovery Factor available in Amibroker tool is the correct way to measure it as we want to measure how quickly we can come out of drawdown to ensure faster compounding.

However if one uses CAGR:Max DD for multi year calculations then it will not give correct picture as it is very difficult to find systems which can give consistent returns every year. (For Eg: In one particular year the Total Return & Max DD would both have been high but when we take CAGR we average returns for all years, but consider the Max DD of one particular year?). Hence while backtesting we should try to cover one complete market cycle to get a good picture. Anyway there is no guarantee that the system will perform next year but it can give us a rough estimate how it will perform over the course of few years.

For example , If you observe carefully the returns mentioned in the URL https://www.managedfutures.com/top_cta_rankings.aspx

Only CTA's which are established after 2008 have a good CAGR:Max DD ratio which is not a correct way to measure their performance as they would not have faced the market crash of 2000/2008. There are some companies established in 1985 which have given CAGR of 17+ but their max DD is more...however they are the ones who would have compounded 1L to 13L as explained by MG in his earlier post.

Cant this sequence LLLWLLLLWLLLLWLLLLWLLLLW lead to eating away 60 % capital.
--> One need to also measure what is the Total return at the end of the period and are winners and losers of same size, if it is not acceptable then this system is not good.

If they had 100RS during worst drawdown it went to 93 before becoming 117.7. Isnt that what they mean. So if they lost 100 points they shd ve made a little more than 200 points.
---> No, if the CTA was established 10 yrs ago, then on average every year they would have made profit of 17.7 % compounded (100 rs become about 500 rs in 10yrs), however in one particular year they had faced a max DD of about 7.7% from the peak value. These numbers are usually provided so that investors have some idea that if they invest in this CTA during unfavorable time there are chances that their investment can see a drawdown of 7.7% based on historical data. It is not used to take ratios.

Last edited:

madank

Market participant
Amibroker Backtest presents it as Recovery Factor (=Total Gains Made/Max DD)

Happy
As we can have different profit points for different years, i was suggesting average profit points/max DD (max DD is the biggest DD across the timeframe and average points is the 'average' :) )

If Amibroker is giving this measure, great. If not, we can do it in couple of seconds. Am not sure if recovery factor is same as what i was suggesting (as it mentions the word 'total' instead of 'average')

@madank yes, this sounds good. ratio will definitely be better since we reset the returns computation for every year. also addresses the issue of random distribution of winners and losers.
MG - we have gone too much into the technicalities of the numbers but i want you guys to see the reasoning behind that pointer. Lower max DD can enable us to compound in an efficient way as the system will recover faster (in that sense, i like the 'recovery factor' term of Amibroker). Let's say we have another system with average profit points for 10 years as 5000 NF points and max DD as 1200 points. I would trade the 1200 points NF with 200 maxDD over this 'super-duper' 5000 points system on any given day and can guarantee that i can turn a small account to a decent sized one with 1200/200 system.

Basically, I want the readers of this thread to start thinking in maxDD perspective not from the profit points viewpoint. There is no real magnificence in profit points and it's time to focus on drawdown. Mind you - 1200 points per year is just 100 points per month in NF. Am sure some folks are vying to make 150 points per week in NF :)

@madank i remember seeing a plan/list of topics you intend to cover but cant find it now. would you also cover something on the lines of - at what stage one must stop optimizing the backtests?

for instance --> let's say our system is a simple 20 MA crossover based. next, we use 'X' MA to filter long and short entries. then we slap another indicator on the chart......when does one stop and move on to work on other factors such as position sizing?
Here's the post.

http://www.traderji.com/community/threads/general-trading-chat.96368/page-6348#post-1260741

Even though am not a big fan of optimizing even a basic system, there are certain things a trader can do to come out as a marginal winner in optimization.

If one has couple of indicators in the system, optimizing can eliminate useless rules and parameters. Optimization is also useful to determine whether certain kind of stops are useful. For example, a trader can determine if a protective stop can add or deter a system performance. Often, the distance of trailing stops is too close to the last price, causing premature exits. These determinations can be analyzed more closely with optimization.

But the biggest bane of optimization is that we can custom-make any indicator to match the past data perfectly. Especially, after the advent of software that can do this BT task in couple of minutes. Because the future is what we are trying to control, most optimization is useless and dangerous as it gives a false sense of confidence.

So, it is up to the trader’s penchant for the optimization and its results. In my opinion, one has to stop optimizing at some point as the negatives override the positives of optimization by a huge margin. If one gets stuck in optimization (mostly in the search of holygrail), it is very difficult to come out of it. Long story short - there is no silver bullet solution for this problem. Once we start making money in our system and realize that we can positively control the outcome by MM and position sizing predominatly , this search will stop (hopefully).

Another piece of suggestion I want to lay down here is that to see if the system works on multiple instruments. It should work reasonably well across basket of instruments (with varying returns/risk) but if it makes losses in other instruments but works only in NF, then most probably, it has been curve fitted for Nifty.

Madan,

Can you just point different ways of learning minute details of market?

I know
1) Chart.
2) backtest ( Checking logic results)

Backtest helped me to see somethings which I couldnt notice from chart. Charts help me to make some kind of logic for backtesting. Tweaking logic (curve fitting) many consider harmful but it has revealed few things for me. Any other things you guys use?
Lemondew,

When it comes to chart reading, am a bigtime novice/amateur. I have just figured out a way or two to control my basic pivot system with MM and position sizing..thats all. As am a lazy person, I stick with the same system for the past several years and have not ventured into anything new.

Well, lot of screen time can help a discretionary trader to learn about market behaviour but wont help a mechanical trader that much. As a matter of fact, we dont need to understand market dynamics that much to make money in trading. Being a mechanical trader, one can devise new systems to start trading once his/her account grows bigger than what the existing single system can handle.

Curve fitting can be detrimental to our account for various reasons mentioned above but please refer to my answer for MG. There is no end to this curve-fitting saga. It is a mild form of searching for holygrail. It is like a frivolous man keeping on looking for the best partner and because of his proclivity to get the best (compared to the current partner), he will keep looking until he dies – somewhere the partner search has to stop. Am glad that curve-fitting has taught you certain things but sooner or later, it will pull you deep to keep optimising the system.So, we gotta take that tough call (of stopping optimisation) sometime.

I think there is a confusion here, the ratio suggested by madan are to measure the systems max DD: Total Return for each selected time period, i.e if 1 considers 1 yr as measurement period then the system Max DD: Total return should be 1:7 i.e 50:350/100:700/200:1400 etc to be considered as a good system to ensure compounding happens faster.
Yes ncube – my interest lies with average profit points and max DD for any given timeframe. Ofcourse, total profit points is needed to calculate the average profit points for a given time frame :)

Last edited:

lemondew

Thanks madan and ncube for the detailed reply. Want to add

Curve fitting by tampering the logic and checking the results is what I am telling. Slightly different from changing the parameters in same logic.

ncube

Yes ncube – my interest lies with average profit points and max DD for any given timeframe. Ofcourse, total profit points is needed to calculate the average profit points for a given time frame :)
@madank, As we are discussing about compounding and impact of DD on the account we need to have a holistic view when the account is growing. For example our returns: drawdown in last 3 years could be as follows:

1st Year : 350:50 --> Ratio 7:1
2nd Year : 700:100 --> Ratio 7:1
3rd Year : 1400:200 --> Ratio 7:1

If we consider average returns: Max DD then the ratio will be 816:200 --> Ratio 4:1

This gives an impression that our system is deteriorating instead its quite the opposite our system is not only performing but also very consistent. Hence if we need to get a realistic picture then we need to take Average Returns: Average Max Drawdown. i.e in the above example, 816:116 --> Ratio 7:1. However this ratio will not remain same once the account size reaches its limit.

Sorry I did not want to stretch this topic, but whenever I learn something new I try to apply it on my system to see the results (I suggest everyone to follow this practice and it gives more confidence in what we learn), however I found it a challenge when trying to quantify my system using average returns and hence concluded it does not give the right picture and that its better to consider Recovery factor(Either total points or average its the same) and use rolling periods for measurement. Btw, I do not use amibroker, I use zipline (python based backtesting engine used in quantopian) and for trade analysis I still use a very old but simple free application called Fibotrader. (I am not sure if anyone is aware of it..:))

Anyway its fine people can apply whatever method they are comfortable with, the key learning as you said is that one should consider a system with lower DD for faster compounding.

Last edited:

copypasteaee

Humbled by Markets
what is solution for people having low ratio. My average Banknifty points are 5100+ whereas Max DD is 2500 points. Average drawdown is 2000 points for 8 years of data. How much money per lot money i should have to have proper MM

thanks for wonderful threads

ncube

what is solution for people having low ratio. My average Banknifty points are 5100+ whereas Max DD is 2500 points. Average drawdown is 2000 points for 8 years of data. How much money per lot money i should have to have proper MM

thanks for wonderful threads
@copypasteaee,

1. Thats why I said in my previous post that I dont prefer Averaging, the best we can conclude from the information you have provided is that your system is consistent on average over 8 yrs. It does not tell us the trend whether your system is improving or deteriorating or linearly consistent.

2. Hence I prefer to use the total return:max drawdown over rolling measurement period to analyze the system performance and trend. I use 1 yr measurement period, however one can use any period such as week,month,quarterly etc. This is how I analyse my system performance:
2012: 24.29%:5.4% -> 4.5:1 -> Ok as per system backtesting results
2013: 21.08%:6:2% -> 3.4:1 -> Ok, Acceptable, Mark as Worst Return/Drawdown year.
2014: 202.44%:8.6% -> 23.5:1 -> Very Good, Analysis market favorable for trend following, Mark this as best Year
2015: 51.56%:7.3% -> 7:1 -> Ok Acceptable, continue with same system.
2016: 19.29%:20.2% -> 1:1 -> Red Flag, Analysis: Market was very volatile for trend following. Not much can be done, no change needed continue with the same system. Mark this as the new worst year.
2017: 111.98:6.8% -> 16.5:1 -> Good Result so far. No changes needed in system.

3. The total return:max drawdown values just helps me to analyze how my system is performing over the years, has it lost the edge, if yes does it suggest abandoning the system.

4. As I had already mentioned in my earlier post, Risk:Reward/Money management is dependent on your system, if you need to improve your system then you need to run a backtest on some new ideas on your system with various risk values and check its performance. Since you have been using your system for 8 years, I believe you would have definetely backtested your system and you were comfortable with the risk:reward of your system which is giving you on average 2.5:1 total return to max drawdown.

I am getting a feeling that people are just reading the posts for time pass without analyzing or putting the effort to test and check its validity. Without putting some efforts I am not sure if anyone is actually getting some value from these posts and also there is no point for me putting the efforts to write such length posts..:)

Last edited:

copypasteaee

Humbled by Markets
@copypasteaee,

1. Thats why I said in my previous post that I dont prefer Averaging, the best we can conclude from the information you have provided is that your system is consistent on average over 8 yrs. It does not tell us the trend whether your system is improving or deteriorating or linearly consistent.

2. Hence I prefer to use the total return:max drawdown over rolling measurement period to analyze the system performance and trend. I use 1 yr measurement period, however one can use any period such as week,month,quarterly etc. This is how I analyse my system performance:
2012: 24.29%:5.4% -> 4.5:1 -> Ok as per system backtesting results
2013: 21.08%:6:2% -> 3.4:1 -> Ok, Acceptable, Mark as Worst Return/Drawdown year.
2014: 202.44%:8.6% -> 23.5:1 -> Very Good, Analysis market favorable for trend following, Mark this as best Year
2015: 51.56%:7.3% -> 7:1 -> Ok Acceptable, continue with same system.
2016: 19.29%:20.2% -> 1:1 -> Red Flag, Analysis: Market was very volatile for trend following. Not much can be done, no change needed continue with the same system. Mark this as the new worst year.
2017: 111.98:6.8% -> 16.5:1 -> Good Result so far. No changes needed in system.

3. The total return:max drawdown values just helps me to analyze how my system is performing over the years, has it lost the edge, if yes does it suggest abandoning the system.

4. As I had already mentioned in my earlier post, Risk:Reward/Money management is dependent on your system, if you need to improve your system then you need to run a backtest on some new ideas on your system with various risk values and check its performance. Since you have been using your system for 8 years, I believe you would have definetely backtested your system and you were comfortable with the risk:reward of your system which is giving you on average 2.5:1 total return to max drawdown.

I am getting a feeling that people are just reading the posts for time pass without analyzing or putting the effort to test and check its validity. Without putting some efforts I am not sure if anyone is actually getting some value from these posts and also there is no point for me putting the efforts to write such length posts..:)
No one is here for time pass, everyone is here for learning. Many times I don't have any idea about the matter on which discussion is going on so I just read quietly and try to grasp.