SEBI's new move to cut retailers participation in F&O!

How many of you think that the worst is over in terms of such regulations which restrict retail traders' access to derivatives?

For all we know, the worst is behind us.

Nothing changed between then and now. I do stand by my statements in the article on Financial Express. I mentioned "they may turn out to be progressive" because they may actually take feedback from the market and alter their actions. I'm just being a cheerleader on this thread and I am confident that most active traders will jump these hurdles anyway.
do we read between lines Tejas :)

Had printed out couple of trading books. Now seems I will have to give it to "raddiwala". Or may be start this new business myself. Ofcourse, if selling pakodas is considered as business, then why not roam the streets with a stinking sack collecting scrap/rubbish, yes Mr. PM?
( I have respect for all people doing all different tasks, it is just that instead of trying to uplift the downtrodden, the Gormint is doing exactly the opposite)

Contra

Haha! Because it seems like many have developed an Anxiety Syndrome. Although the nature of regulations is portrayed as archaic, they may turn out to be progressive. After all, I don't think the vast majority of traders will stop trading because of a net-worth certificate requirement or a mandatory exam that is to be passed in order to trade in derivatives. I am convinced that traders will continue to trade as long as there are opportunities in the market. I don't foresee an outright ban on dealing in derivatives or anything extreme of those sorts.
Talking of mandatory exams, that won't do anybody any good. They might make you knowledgeable but are no substitute for actual, live experience.

To quote Tejas Khoday's own thoughts in an interview with Education Mail:
"Degree certificates are overrated in the real world"
"We ignore/disregard degree certifications because they are not relevant in the real world."
"In India, even commerce degrees have very little focus on capital markets."
"...formal education is extremely theoretical with little to no relevance to the practical world of business."

Quite right.

By that logic, a mandatory certification can't & won't solve the SEBI-perceived ills of the capital markets and/or proposed restrictions to derivatives trading. Trading is a psychological game and an extension of the trader's personality. We don't need more education or certification. What we need is (to put it in Mr Khoday's words) "Diligence. This is because output depends on consistency rather than talent."

Grand words.

Newspaper article attached. It's a good read.

Attachments

Last edited:

Satya.

Haha! Because it seems like many have developed an Anxiety Syndrome. Although the nature of regulations is portrayed as archaic, they may turn out to be progressive. After all, I don't think the vast majority of traders will stop trading because of a net-worth certificate requirement or a mandatory exam that is to be passed in order to trade in derivatives. I am convinced that traders will continue to trade as long as there are opportunities in the market. I don't foresee an outright ban on dealing in derivatives or anything extreme of those sorts.
mny trding under 1L cap(includin me),if dey were dat capitalised den u wont hv see so mny comments on dis topic
we hv 2 submit networth every yr
w/o leverg n wid such rules only trders abv 10L cap will trade

rest wil b RIP bro

Riskyman

mny trding under 1L cap(includin me),if dey were dat capitalised den u wont hv see so mny comments on dis topic
we hv 2 submit networth every yr
w/o leverg n wid such rules only trders abv 10L cap will trade

rest wil b RIP bro
Thats the whole point. They dont want small guys trading. Honestly, it never occurred to me before that a person will have to submit net worth every year. Hmmm.. Interesting!!

Btw, i lik ur sms way of writn :)

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
By expanding this to both cash and derivative markets SEBI will require net-worth certification of at least 3.3 crore investors (based on active demat accounts with NSDL and CDSL) across 4,421 registered brokers and 25,642 sub-brokers in the cash segment and 2,695 registered brokers in the equity derivatives.

I really doubt about the implementation!

IMO,
The simplest thing to reduce exposure without affecting the liquidity is
1. Increase the margin percentage for NRML by 1.5-2 times AND
2. Reduce the lot size 1/8 th to 1/10 th (this will take care of reduced liquidity due to higher margin).

Last edited: