Pre-requisites for trading(Hardware and software)

SavantGarde

hi rajak,

what is ---" raid 1 (2 hdd) or raid 1+0(4 hdd)"

hdd means Hard disk but wht is raid.
Hi Chintan,

I Am Writing It Down Below Point by Point For Easy Understanding...

1) RAID Basically Is An Acronym Which Stands For Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

2) Normally Slightly Expensive New Motherboards Offer Built-In Onboard RAID.

3) Basically It Is A Configuration Of Multiple HDDs (More Than One HDD) Which Was Earlier Used In Servers By Corporates, But Now It Can Be Used By Practically Everybody Who Desires.

4) RAID-0 Is Basically Spreading Out Writing Of Data Over Mutliple HDDs, But Doesn't Have Fault Tolerance (Personally Not Recommended)

5) RAID-1 Is Basically Config. For Mirroring & Duplexing Of The Data, A Technique Which Employs Data Being Written To Both Disks Simultaneously. This Way If One Of The HDD Fails, The System Can Instantly Switch To The Other HDD Without Any Loss Of Data.

6) RAID 0+1, You Don't Need Worry or Know About It, But Simple Explanation For It Is That Where Two RAID-0 Is Created & RAID-1 Mirroring Is Created Between Multiple HDDs.

Hope The Above Answers Most Of Your Questions About RAID

SavantGarde

chintan786

thank u very much sir for providing such a valuable information to a newbie like me.

stumper

hi rajak,

what is ---" raid 1 (2 hdd) or raid 1+0(4 hdd)"

hdd means Hard disk but wht is raid.
RAID=Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disk.

speaking in terms of layman ...It's a methodology of data protection. For example, you can buy 2 hard disk and impliment RAID 1 (using a RAID Controller card) which will mirror both the hard disk. In case one hard disk fails you have another mirror hard disk. Its typically used in Live production servers using SCSI hard disks (some what expensive than the IDE hard disks that we use in our PC).

One more note
If you are interested in
multiple tf/fractal trading systems
Then seriously look into amibroker/wave59 instead of metastock
Amibroker is capable of opening a metastock chart faster than metastock itself....
Metastock = 16 bit maruti 800
Amibroker = 32 bit ferrari
But if you're gone drive the app with a data feed that doesn't support amibroker properly then you will have issues. So the choice of application also depends on your choice of data feed+analysis tools that u already have or need.

Power inverter+ ups + dual dsl are essential in india i guess.
Never needed it here in germany , my dsl dies maybe on 3 days each year.
I keep a phone near by with the cell number of my broker+ one other guy at his office just in case my net dies.

Thanks,very much helpful to know all these.

thanks you again rajak1981

suba

stumper

Hi ,

Here are few pointers for someone planning to do serious trading.

For hardware you should consider following:
1. Memory = Recommended to have 1GB memory (512MB minimum)
2. Monitors = Depends. I comfortably use 1 monitor. But in case you deal with multiple instruments, work on ur emails/chats, etc.. you might need to go for multiple monitors (Matrox has MMS series of cards which support this)
3. Have a spare identical computer(in configuration and software)... the latest MS patch might crash your quote system .. who knows!
4. UPS for power supply.
5. Have a non cordless phone (The old one's which dont need electricity to run).... usefull in case of power failures.
6. Have a alternate dial-up to another ISP (in case one of the ISP is having problem).

For Software you should consider following (apart from your normal quote software)
1. Upto date Anti virus software.
2. Anti spyware software.
3. Firewall software.
4. Keep ur disk defragmented.
5. CCleaner : Will help u keep a tidy computer by removing unwanted garbage.

I hope this helped.

Stumper

It was surprising to see all talk of CPU and RAM and forgetting conveniently of the most important component.The Motherboard.

These days MB's come with limited number of RAM slots(forcing you to buy single RAMS of 256,512 etc).

IMO,
Get a motherboard which has at least 3 RAM slots(DDR)that is.And more than 3 PCI slots.
Also to reduce any lag on system u can buy an AGP Card(provided u have an AGP slot in the Motherboard)and an external sound card.These both items reduce considerably the lag on the system.And thus AMD scores over Intel in terms of bang for the buck.What u save on CPU and board can be spent on other components.

Kindly note that most part of last year and 2005 i used
AMD 2000+
Asus KT400 board
Geforce 3
512mb RAM
Audigy 2 ZS soundcard.
And usual suspects.
Disable serial and parallel ports if u dont use them.

And i outperformed the latest systems just because of the edge due to AGP card and Soundcard.Never had any crash.BTW used Win98Se for all those time.

Just my 2 pennies.