Please review my SIP portfolio

I am 29 and a beginner in SIP investment. Please review my portfolio and provide me your precious comments.

I am planning on starting following SIP funds (first 3 already started for 10 years).

1) Large Cap: ICICI Prudential Focused Bluechip Equity Retail -1000 Rs.
2) Large & Mid Cap: HDFC Top 200 -1000 Rs.
3) Mid & Small Cap: IDFC Premier Equity (A) - 2000 Rs.
4) Multi Cap: Quantum Long Term Equity - 1000 Rs.
5) Hybrid Equity: HDFC Prudence - 1000 Rs.
6) Balanced: HDFC Balanced - 1000 Rs.
7) Gold/World Gold fund/ETF??? - Need suggestion here - 1000 Rs.

I plan to increase the individual SIP amounts in future as I have that option.
Please let me know if my portfolio is OK for long term wealth creation (10 years). Also I might need some liquidity after 5 years.

Kindly advice...

tomjerry

Quite few Mutual Fund experts here. You can contact Experts who are giving FREE advice on CNBC, Bloomberg UTV, ET NOW, NDTV Profit, or particular expert's website if any you find on google.

In my view your selection of funds are quite impressive. You can definitely move on with this funds. For gold I will suggest you to go for ETF by opening demat account. ETF may be tried- Benchmark Gold ETF or Relaince Gold ETF. All the best.:)

Too much diversification in my opinion. You are putting 8000 in 7 funds.

I suggest you stick to just 4 or 5. Top200, Prudence, IDFC premier have been consistent funds and you should consider putting in 2000 in these 3 counters.

Good choices. Some thoughts. HDFC Prudence and HDFC Balanced both aren't required. Moreover, HDFC prudence and HDFC Top 200 have the same fund look and are very similar except that HDFC Prudence is categorized under Balanced funds.

So, if I were you, I would put 2000 each in ICICI Bluechip Equity, HDFC Top 200, IDFC Premier equity, 1000 in QLTE and 1000 in Gold ETF, for which I choose GOLDBEES, the most commonly used ETF.

Happy Investing !!

My 2 cents for what its worth. If you analyze most of the funds over a 10 year period, the out-performance of Large cap funds over a diversified index is not significant.

Given that you are below 30, may be you do not need a balanced fund now. Probably you can look at one after 5-6 years, when you can cut your mid to small cap fund exposure and move it to a balanced fund.

Hence would prefer NIFTY ETF in the place of Large Cap funds.

1 Fund for Mid to Large Cap
1 Fund for Mid to Small Cap
1 ETF for NIFTY
1 ETF for Gold

NIFTY ETF - Do a normal SIP for Rs x and consider adhoc ETF purchases of additional Rs 0.5x or Rs x in the months when Nifty has a -ve return. Sort of helps your cost averaging.

Welcome to the jungle of Investing!!

Hi Vijay,

This is very good information. Can you please shed some light on NIFTY ETF?
I did google for this but did not satisfactory info. Also can you please suggest few good examples for NIFTY ETF? Are these same as Index funds?

Regards,
Rohan

prst

Hi Vijay,

This is very good information. Can you please shed some light on NIFTY ETF?
I did google for this but did not satisfactory info. Also can you please suggest few good examples for NIFTY ETF? Are these same as Index funds?

Regards,
Rohan
i did some research on nifty etf and etf for bankex, junior nifty etc. goldman sachs offers etf for each of these and also for hangseng.
I found that all of them have "expense ratio" which adds up to the already existing brokerage charges(since they are just like stocks). one needs to look at this factor also, if one keeps on buying frequently to average down. (in case of value average investing).

GS has an expense ratio of 0.5% while the newly launched IIFL nifty etf (frm india infoline) has the lowest ratio of 0.25%.
below are some of the links I came up with, during my research. hope these help:

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/keyword/expense-ratio
http://articles.economictimes.india..._expense-ratio-exchange-traded-tracking-error
http://ajayshahblog.blogspot.in/2008/08/choosing-nifty-index-fund.html