Option trading with DanPickUp

Status
Not open for further replies.
No quickly to the question from dear Sherbaaz: "Is it possible to calculate the stop loss for option on the basis of nifty futures or nifty spot in case of naked directional trading in option."

Simple answer is: Yes it is possible. Just calculate the price of the options on the different levels the underlying is.

Learn to use this link: http://www.option-price.com/index.php Depending on what you plan, intra day or a bigger time frame, you change the numbers for underlying, days to expiration and volatility and you get the new value the option has. This price can be your target or your stop loss.

DanPickUp[/QUOTE]

Sir,

Thank you very much for your inputs I will look into the link.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

DanPickUp

Dear Uttamkamlesh

Please open your own thread with your trading method. Otherwise I will have to ask the mods to move your post away from this thread and open for you your own thread about that stuff.

DanPickUp

Edit: Thanks to the mods for moving away the post.

Last edited:

DanPickUp

Hi

These post is about stop losses. Stop losses on futures and shares seem to be quit clear, so I concentrate on Stop Losses on options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice-Trader View Post

How to determine SLs for Options -
I understand different Strikes at different times of expiry react differently to the market movement.

Setting SLs in Equity or Futures seems straight forward using ATRs / support and resistance etc based on one's style.

However, the same could not be applied directly to options. I understand ATM / ITM / OTM options react differently based on the greeks and the time to expiry.

Would be of great help if someone could assist explain this.

Dear Novice-Trader

A script in advance from Larry Williams before I move on to your question. The following words have nothing to do with any stop loss. It is about Money management:

Sure, you can make money as a trader or investor, have a good time, and get some great stories to tell. But, the extrapolation of profits will not come as much from your trading and investing skills as how you manage your money.

I'm probably best known for winning the Robbins World Cup Trading Championship, turning $10,000 into $1,100,000.-- in 12 months. That was real money, real trades, and real time performance. For years people have asked for my trades to figure out how I did it. I gladly oblige them, they will learn little there - what created the gargantuan gain was not great trading ability nearly as much as the very aggressive form of money management I used. The approach was to buy more contracts when I had more equity in my account, cut back when I had less. That's what made the cool million smackers - not some great trading skill.

Ten years later my 16-year-old daughter won the same trading contest taking $10,000 to $110,000.-- (The second best performance in the 20-year history of the championship). Did she have any trading secret, any magical chart, line, and formula? No. She simply followed a decent system of trading, backed with a superior form of money management.

Now to your question about stop loss in option trading. As you say: OTM, ATM and ITM options react differently based on the greeks and the time to expiry. So far, that is right. For some now the question could emerge: Doe's an option OTM need an other stop loss system compare to an option ITM, as ITM options move quicker with the underlying as the delta is higher compare to OTM options, which have a lower delta? The answer is: No, you can use the same system.

Doe's the actual volatility in the market have an influence on any stop loss settings? Yes and no. Why? Depends on what criteria we build up our decisions we use for our stop loss, as we have different choices:

1. We can use a fixed amount of Rupees which we are willing to lose. So we buy an option with a certain prices and we know, that money is gone when market moves against us. In this case, volatility is not one of our criteria s. The amount we use for such trades can be calculated by looking at our whole trading money. If the whole trading amount is Rp 10'000.--, we can fix a % amount from that and that would be our money we are willing to lose in one trade. So, if the % is 2, we would/could spend Rp 200 for those option and leave it.

2. We again use a fix amount of money we are willing to lose. Let's say the price of the option was Rp 120. Now I am willing to lose 50 Rp on this option and that would be our stop loss. So, we place a limit order of Rp 70 (120 -50 = 70) for this option by our broker. Also here, volatility is not one of our criteria. It is a decision purely built on any amount we are willing to lose.

3 We can use a % rule on the option price for our criteria. Let us say we use a rule of 5% for our stop loss. If we had to pay Rp 120, so we would risk 6 Rp on these option trade. Now we have a fixed prices of Rp 114 and then we would sell the option. If you go for this kind of stop loss you should use volatility as a criteria. If vola is high, you have to think if you want to expand your % and risk more or if you prefer to tighten your % and risk less. This decision is also build on your risk appetite. If you are risk shy, tighten your stop loss and vice versa.

4 An other way to set a stop loss is to not fix the amount of money you are willing to lose. You can set a fixed target on the underlying and when these target is not reached in a certain time, you leave the market and sell the option with a market order. The stop loss in this case is more a mental stop loss as the time frame will be the main point in it.

5 There are more ways for a stop loss, but they are of more advanced ideas which need a good knowledge of the option greeks and advanced option analyzing software. As a simple example: You can use pure delta for stop losses. Not to recommend for any unexperienced or part time option trader.

All of the mentioned ways are done in directional option trading. You can use them under different aspects. No best or worst idea, as all of them are practicable. If you do non directional option trading, then your stop losses are given through the break even points of the upper and lower legs on your strategy analyzing picture. Example: If you implement an iron condor at once, then your break evens are given at the same time you are filled. Not necessary a stop loss to leave the market but a point on which repair strategies have to come in play.

Good trading

DanPickUp

DanPickUp

Dear Dan sir

Thank you for ur suggestion on selecting Higher Time frame, so that frequent order placing can be avoided. My biggest problem is, not sticking to one TF. I frequently switch between 1min,3min,5min,10min,15min,30min ,1Hr etc with out clarity.

After introspecting, I realized that I am suffering with the problem of preoccupied opinion on market direction. For example, on 30/04/2012, I formed opinion of going long as US markets are trading 4 years high, then our Nifty also follows, so better go long. Accordingly i Bought Nifty 5200Ce and sold 5400CE.

Despite of Ami broker showing sell signals, i neglected them. I filtered for buy signals among different TFs. This is just to fulfill my bias to go long.

After market hours, again I am worrying why i failed to be objective. I am criticizing myself and I am taking Oath , not to repeat again. But next day i repeat the same mistake.

I am really struggling to be objective. kindly help me how to overcome this. I read Mark Douglas book Trading in the Zone, Van Tharp book also.

But at functional level I am struggling. Kindly guide me

Dear Sunny ndl

There is not much I can do about that. Go through the following links and read in it. This will expand your knowledge about what time frames to look at:

http://www.4shared.com/file/135692875/5f51e600/Teach_A_Man_Fish_Complete.html

http://www.traderji.com/technical-a...gies-using-technical-analysis.html#post394723

Mark Douglas and Van Tharps books are more about your psychological manners and understanding of your self. They are not books for TA.

For all who do not know Mark Douglas: The following link is about an one hour interview with him: http://www.tischendorf.com/2010/12/12/mark-douglas-video-interview-trading-psychology-quotes/

Good trading

DanPickUp

DanPickUp

Hi

There is still a lot to write in this thread. As there is Sunday, you may want to watch once some kind of presentation.

This book presentation includes a lot of very healthy information which can be used as a repetition for some objects discussed endless in this forum, but presented here in a short and very precisely way. Those parts are less of option trading by itself and more in How to become successful in trading and how to look at option trading as an insurance business. There is more as the presentation is around 90 minutes. I personal value the book worth the price but I am not here to sell any thing. If you do so, that is your own decision. To all others: Just listen to the parts which are presented for free from the two option pros. Enjoy

http://www.theoptionclub.com/2012/04/options_traders_hedge_fund_presentation/#

Good trading

DanPickUp

AW10

Hi Dan,
Highly appreciate this wonderful thread on options from a option-pro like you. Well done.
Just subscribed to this thread and will drop in here whenever I am in TJ.

Meanwhile, keep option traders happy in TJ thru your posts.

Happy options trading

Hi Dan,
Great way to educate options trading.
So far so good & refreshing to find things that i pay little importance actually do have more significance. Appreciate the stoploss part of the notes. That is was very helpfull.

I do have learned personally & from other traders that money management is the biggest test of the market. Hope you might shed some light on that side sometime!

Thanks for the post & keep it coming.

DanPickUp

Hi

This post is for very advanced option traders as this kind of option trading is beyond all levels and limits from beginners to normal advanced option traders knowledge.

A lesson on how to implement option strategies in a very advanced way. There are many ways to do so and that is just one way for condors and butterflies. It is a mix of directional option trading combined with strategically implemented other option strategies at different market levels. Presented it a long time ago in AW10 thread and was asked to present it once more for those who missed it.

http://www.traderji.com/options/581...ondors-nifty-future-options-2.html#post683419

Good trading

DanPickUp

Hi Dan,please correct if I am wrong. I am implementing a notional Iron condor.
Say Nifty is at 4800, I know there is a solid support at 4800 and a bounce can come any time. I sell a credit put spread at 4800. Say I am proved correct and market bounces to 5000 and now I know there is a strong resistance at 5050, so I leg in a credit call spread at 5000

1. Is this the correct way to implement Iron Condor
2. What to do if Nifty dosnt rises and falls

Status
Not open for further replies.