Non-Trading Software

murthymsr

Thanks all, pkjha, joy_mitali,niranjanam,kgsirasangi,jaideep

pl contribute to this thread often with problems faced by you and how you overcame it. I think it is a bit too early to post problems alone.

murthymsr

How about trying LINUX. Linux can be configured well enough ( as I heard from many experienced LINUX gurus ) to trade online without worrying about any virus, worms, trojans and such kind of infections. LINUX is also keep us away from maintaining our systems every day or two which is a common problem of Windows. Please comment if anybody is using LINUX OS for trading purpose.
Thankyou
Subrata Bera

pkjha30

Hi subrata

Linux is a great OS and I have used some known flavours of Linux. Of late it has become more user friendly otherwise it is strictly for software geeks..

Most of the programs are developped for Windows OS. With all shortcomings of Win platform it is hugely userfriendly and if you take little care you will not come to any grief.Professional software developpers have huge market for wintel(windows+intel) system which is commercially viable.

No I dont think trading community, who are normal users ,is yet ready for embracing Linux. Though the programs developped in C or C++ JAVA PHP etc can be ported to LINUX platform but how many would take time off from the market to change the OS and test linux related programs.

I use Red Hat Fedora core4 X64 as my system has 64 bit AMD processor. No problem in using Mozilla, firefox chat progrmas video and audio. Printer is yet to be configured as drivers for my printer is in 32 bit mode and dosent function in 64 bit mode. Hardware configuration can be tricky. You have to check with Hardware compatibility list maintained by www.linux.org. and other sites.

Linux will take time to replace Windows.

regards.
Pankaj

Hello Subrata,
U can use MAndrake Linux----Its a great desktop version---can be downloaded free of cost(3 cds---effective contents---remember) from the Mandraxe linux forum--
Its hastle free too----and great for videos and audios---Have tested it in m 32 bit P4 Intel pentium machine---though not configured for printer yet---
Though I basically use Windows XP---
Regards,
joy_mitali

murthymsr

pkjha30 said:
Hi subrata

Linux is a great OS ......

I dont think trading community, who are normal users ,is yet ready for embracing Linux. Though the programs developped in C or C++ JAVA PHP etc can be ported to LINUX platform but how many would take time off from the market to change the OS and test linux related programs........

Linux will take time to replace Windows.

regards.
Pankaj
Pankaj, I agree with you.
murthymsr

murthymsr

Foxit is a reader for files in pdf format. Better alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Most of the e-books are in pdf format.

Runs on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003. It is free for non-commercial use.
Less than 1 MB size. Does not need installation. Consumes very little RAM. Loads fast.

You can read, you can print, but you cannot edit a pdf document, which most of us do not need.

The software can be downloaded from:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/download.htm

You may download the zip file and save it to hard disk. Unzip it to get a single .exe file.
Doubleclick to run and enjoy.

Members already using this SW, Please share your experiences.

murthymsr

pkjha30

Hi

Those who want to remove unwanted programs from windows start up one can use excellent program called startup inspector for windows. You can uncheck all programs which you don not want to run or are running without your knowledge.
Web Site http://www.windowsstartup.com/
Download page http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Another utility is freshUI and freshDiagnose.
FreshUI twicks userinterface and various context menus. You can add choice of your program to open a file to the right click context menu.

It can do the following things :-

Customizing Windows User Interface (UI)

Optimizing system settings

Optimizing hardware settings

Customizing Windows application settings

Controlling user environment with policies

FreshDiagnose can do the following:-

System Information: Scanning your system and give a complete report about your computer's hardware and software, for examples: mainboard information, video system information, PCI/AGP buses information, peripheral (keyboard, mouse, printer, etc.) information, network information.

System Benchmarks: Testing your system performance, such as CPU, hard disk, CD/DVD ROM, and compare it with other systems.

Onetime registration process will give a personal license key to activate both programs.Registration is hassle free and no costs.Run these programs as and when you want to change any aspect of windows.

All the programs mentioned here have been used by me for a considerable length of time without any problem and has kept system in good condition.

Pankaj

pkjha30

Hi

Those who are using Yahoo website quite often for tracking company details, prices and portfolio etc can use yahoo toolbar which features AntiSpyware also which can be run from the toolbar. It can block popup window and can generally provide links to various yahoo sites,groups and email. Search box is available.Antispyware is quite good but the problem is it asks for restarting the computer which is quite unnessesary.

Google tool bar does not provide antispyware. it provides for desktopsearch which is extremely good. Interestingly it provided a link to stock quote which took me to Yahoo page.You have to enter yahoo symbol code in the search box and click on stock quotes icon by theside of Search Button.

Both are very handy tool to have it.
For download go to respective websites

As for Anti virus Trend Micro seems to be doing better job than Norton which is a memory hog and Macafee. It is light on memory , cpu and your wallet and does automatic update and has better removal process.In my next update I will certainly buy this. In my office its corporate version is used and it is amazing.

For Firewall there is really no alternative to Zone alarm free edition. it will save lot of pain to computer users.

Pankaj

pkjha30

Hi

Again, I thought I will tell about one website

http://www.raaga.com

It is a comprehensive website providing streaming music for largest collection of hindi songs I have ever seen. It functions in Internet explorer. You can register and click "remember me" so you dont have to login every time you visit the site. You can select the picture , all songs or some songs and click on play. it will open up anew window to start media player within IE box. You need to have Real player plugin for IE.

The songs will play on. you can use repeat button and songs will be repeated. It will give some advertisement on citibank or ICICI (a small clippings once in a while and almost nonintrusive) and does not disturb much. You can work on internet or your computer and simutaneously listen to songs of your liking. You can make your collection of favourite songs and listen to them as you like.

I stumbled on to website through google search and now using it for four months. Absolutely free and it is officially licensed so no legal problems.You can't copy only streaming. If you have broadband ( I have Dataone 256kbps) so much the better. Not tried on modem though.Though bandwidth requirement is less. Sound quality is fabuluous.

Pankaj

Listening to your fav music while you work