My Nifty/Mini-Nifty Positional trade logs

Can Stochastics indicator alone be used for positional trading?

• Total voters

summasumma

Now the family is getting bigger, with more members joining.Hope it wont lead to chos.
These stochs are not part of family. They are just social friends whom the family meets for special occasions.... :)

These stochs are not part of family. They are just social friends whom the family meets for special occasions.... :)
My experience, MA look good in history... if you are driving your car by looking at rear view mirror, it may work, and we do it sometimes while taking a reverse..
It works beautifully when in trend. But the amount of steep cuts, takes away any decent positions that could be built over long term
I have seen this with chart, based on the current values, the line suddenly changes direction and you wouldnt be able to know that it was heading in a different direction yesterday. It literally gets redrawn.. what is apparent 2 months down the line is not on that day
My 2 cents... but its worth a try... we are all looking for the holy grail

summasumma

My experience, MA look good in history... if you are driving your car by looking at rear view mirror, it may work, and we do it sometimes while taking a reverse..
It works beautifully when in trend. But the amount of steep cuts, takes away any decent positions that could be built over long term
I have seen this with chart, based on the current values, the line suddenly changes direction and you wouldnt be able to know that it was heading in a different direction yesterday. It literally gets redrawn.. what is apparent 2 months down the line is not on that day
Thanks for sharing ur experience Option.Trader....
Have had exactly the same experience 2 years back and clearly can see what you are talking about...
Still giving this a try... but definitely not looking for holy grail, i know no one can get it :)

Reggie

Option Trader,

Good point. What you have stated is true not only for MA, but pivot points, trendline, oscillators, indidcators, candlestick, Fibonacci nos., and all and everything in between. As traders we still have to follow a system, which will give a higher probability of success and a larger win/loss ratio. The important thing is to test the system for enough samples before moving on to another. A good trader will trade profitably with a system which is discarded by many, only for the reason that he has tested and traded it longer.

My two bits worth.

Option Trader,

Good point. What you have stated is true not only for MA, but pivot points, trendline, oscillators, indidcators, candlestick, Fibonacci nos., and all and everything in between. As traders we still have to follow a system, which will give a higher probability of success and a larger win/loss ratio. The important thing is to test the system for enough samples before moving on to another. A good trader will trade profitably with a system which is discarded by many, only for the reason that he has tested and traded it longer.

My two bits worth.
Agree on that... i think its the discipline which separates the wheat from the chaff at the end. Few exceptions do happen with lottery kind of thing... but for others its more of having a system with a defined probability

I had read this somewhere... sometimes when you have a system, there will be times when situation gives signals totally opposite to what you have, but more often than not, it is about following it to the end to realise its potential

summasumma

(32,9,1) went up by 0.02 and (21,9,1) went down...child went up. There is a contrast move within parents itself and the child is approaching near parents...Child and parents in opposite direction...uncertainty.

2111/811 went up. This is the 3rd consecutive opposite direction move by this pair together(last 3 days - UDU). Uncertainty...

No open position yet.

(Closed the mini-nifty short position today 22nd oct@5715... sold@5690 on 12th october...loss 25 points or 500/- rs)

Last edited:

summasumma

All stochs came down today with (32,9,1) down by 0.07(Flat move)...

2111/811 making opposite direction move again in 4th consecutive day(UDUD) and still not clear on direction.

No open position.

Will wait for proper direction indication by the stochastics family...
I think its better to miss 100 points waiting for the trend rather than losing it by trying to catch the trend beginning...

Reggie

Well said Summa. No point in pre-judging the trend and gambling instead of trading. Nifty has been in a very narrow range. The next series on Fri. will provide a break in either direction.

All stochs came down today with (32,9,1) down by 0.07(Flat move)...

2111/811 making opposite direction move again in 4th consecutive day(UDUD) and still not clear on direction.

No open position.

Will wait for proper direction indication by the stochastics family...
I think its better to miss 100 points waiting for the trend rather than losing it by trying to catch the trend beginning...

summasumma

Let us track the trading record based on this method from now-on till next 2 months and see where it stands on new year 2013....(hoping world won't end on december 2012 when mayan calender ends :lol:)

Criteria:
- Only NiftyFuture Lot. (no mini-nifty)
- No ADDs. Only 1 NF lot. (so you can say starting with some 40k with room for M2M in NF)
- duration: november and december
- No criteria for number of trades within this period

I will update this thread as usual daily with position details.
I ll mark arrows in the chart to indicate the entry/exit of positions.

Hoping to start NewYear with some profit from this method...

summasumma

Let us track the trading record based on this method from now-on till next 2 months and see where it stands on new year 2013....(hoping world won't end on december 2012 when mayan calender ends :lol:)

Criteria:
- Only NiftyFuture Lot. (no mini-nifty)
- No ADDs. Only 1 NF lot. (so you can say starting with some 40k with room for M2M in NF)
- duration: november and december
- No criteria for number of trades within this period

I will update this thread as usual daily with position details.
I ll mark arrows in the chart to indicate the entry/exit of positions.

Hoping to start NewYear with some profit from this method...
FIR for this experiment:

Parents went down and child went UP. not clear...

2111/811 making opposite direction move again in 5th consecutive day(UDUDU) and still not clear on direction.

Clearly there is no clear direction.

No open position.