Mutual Fund investment & their portfolio

VJAY

Dear mf investors,
Is we need to link our demat ac with MFU?if not linked is there any problem?

Dear mf investors,
Is we need to link our demat ac with MFU?if not linked is there any problem?
No problems...you can buy mutual fund units without a Demat account and they come in a form of a holding certificate....you can add, redeem without any problem.

Smart_trade

Equity mutual funds are not to be used for parking our surplus money as they can give negative returns in short term. They are for long term investment. Parking will be when we liquidate our holding at the end of the uptrend and want to wait for 8-10 months when the market is correcting and then we want to start buying again.

Parking could be in liquid funds where the value will be protected and some returns could be earned.

Smart_trade

travi

I am also thinking of parking my money in some of the mutual funds and after checking this thread found most of the work has already been done by Subhadipji. But I have some query which may be basic one since I am not into mutual funds.

Is the time or month right to invest in the mutual fund or we should wait when there is some correction in the market???
Also should I put all the money in the mutual fund in one go or should invest 50% now and invest whenever there is dip as like stocks and can we do the same in all the funds listed here??
Stock mkt can never be timed, that's why u do SIP. Lump sum has its own risks. ofc if ur just starting out, then ur initial entry can be higher value.
But if market corrects 20%, don't panic and get out, do SIP and average down. Eventually mkt has to rally, if it doesn't, consider the world doomed :D:D

If ur putting money in MF, aim for Medium to Long term.
Short term only if u knw what ur doing :p

Very basic question can we directly invest online in these funds or do we require to visit their office. Also there is option of going through brokers but why to pay them when its free I think.
If anyone knows the website or how they regularly do that please help.
Go to MFU India website, fill the form, there is a complete online option which wasn't there before.
I haven't seen a broker offering direct plans for free. Incase I'm wrong, do inform me.
I am looking into following MF mentioned by Subhadipji.

Best of all---1 yr 30.9%, 3 yr 89.6%
1. Reliance Growth
2. Kotak Emerging Equity
3.Birla S L Small & Midcap Fund
4. FI Smaller Companies Fund

Tax Saviuour: 1 yr 24%, 3 Yr 52.7%
1.Birla S L Tax relieve 96
2.DSP BR Tax saver fund
3. IDBI Equity Advantage Fund
4. Tata India Savings Fund

Plz don't look at past performance alone, look at the portfolio and ur risk appetite.
If ur amount is huge, consider expense ratio for AMC's that have very similar product.

Last edited:

VJAY

Stock mkt can never be timed, that's why u do SIP. Lump sum has its own risks. ofc if ur just starting out, then ur initial entry can be higher value.
But if market corrects 20%, don't panic and get out, do SIP and average down. Eventually mkt has to rally, if it doesn't, consider the world doomed :D:D

If ur putting money in MF, aim for Medium to Long term.
Short term only if u knw what ur doing :p

Go to MFU India website, fill the form, there is a complete online option which wasn't there before.
I haven't seen a broker offering direct plans for free. Incase I'm wrong, do inform me.

Plz don't look at past performance alone, look at the portfolio and ur risk appetite.
If ur amount is huge, consider expense ratio for AMC's that have very similar product.
Dear ravi bro,
is there any link for checking portfolio of these funds?

travi

Now let’s move to the gruesome. The worst sort of business is one that grows rapidly, requires significant capital to engender the growth, and then earns little or no money. Think airlines. Here a durable competitive advantage has proven elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers. Indeed, if a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down.

The airline industry’s demand for capital ever since that first flight has been insatiable. Investors have poured money into a bottomless pit, attracted by growth when they should have been repelled by it. And I, to my shame, participated in this foolishness when I had Berkshire buy U.S. Air preferred stock in 1989. As the ink was drying on our check, the company went into a tailspin, and before long our preferred dividend was no longer being paid. But we then got very lucky. In one of the recurrent, but always misguided, bursts of optimism for airlines, we were actually able to sell our shares in 1998 for a hefty gain. In the decade following our sale, the company went bankrupt. Twice.
Quoted from Berkshire Hathaway Annual report 2007 page 8
The third type was for Mallya to learn when he already had the "The Great" in his pocket :rofl::rofl:
He probably didn't read this report.

travi

Dear ravi bro,
is there any link for checking portfolio of these funds?
All the AMC websites will have exact details for each MF.
Even in valuesearch or moneycontrol, just scroll down to portfolio section and see the details.
Points to note: See the distribution cap-wise, then sector-wise and the stock.

Tlahuicole

Awesome thread. I use mutual funds as my avenue for investment. I invest half the investment amount in capital appreciation funds and the other in passive income generating funds.

I find mutual funds and equities as a best way to get long term capital appreciation.

St have a look at jm multi strategy fund which looks better than kotak select focus according to me as fund portfolio changed in between since inception looks like perform better than others...limited quality stocks rather than taking 100 small proportionate of stocks.what's your takeon it