Markets & After hours

DSM

Collection of 'Trading Books’ that will not sell.
------------------------------------------

How I made $20 in the Stock Market
Probably High Trading
A Random Hock Down Wall Street
Trading is for Dummies
Options, Pricing, and Futility
To Kill a Martingale
Come into my Trading Trunks
Fraud Like a Hedge Fund
Reminiscences of a Commission Generator

DSM

Economics 101 continued..... .(Source Investopedia/others)
============================================

Economics
• A social science that studies how individuals, governments, firms and nations make choices on allocating scarce resources to satisfy their unlimited wants.
• Components : Macroeconomics, which concentrates on the behavior of the overall economy.
• Microeconomics, which focuses on individual consumers.

Macroeconomics
• Macroeconomics examines economy-wide phenomena such as changes in unemployment, national income, rate of growth, gross domestic product, inflation and price levels.
• Macroeconomics focuses on the national economy as a whole.
• It provides a basic knowledge of how things work in the business world.
• Example would be able to interpret the Gross Domestic Product figures, inflation impact etc.

Microeconomics
• The branch of economics that analyzes the market behavior of individual consumers and firms.
• It attempt to understand the decision-making process of firms and households.
• It is concerned with the interaction between individual buyers and sellers and the factors that influence the choices made by buyers and sellers.
• In particular, microeconomics focuses on patterns of supply and demand and the determination of price and output in individual markets.
• Microeconomics looks at the smaller picture and focuses more on basic theories of supply and demand and how individual businesses decide how much of something to produce and how much to charge for it.
• People who have any desire to start their own business or who want to learn the rationale behind the pricing of particular products and services would be more interested in this area.

Keynesian Economics
• An economic theory of total spending in the economy and its effects on output and inflation.
• Keynesian economics was developed by the British economist John Maynard Keynes during the 1930s in an attempt to understand the Great Depression.
• Keynes advocated increased government expenditures and lower taxes to stimulate demand and pull the global economy out of the Depression.
• “Keynesian economics” is used to refer to the concept that optimal economic performance can be achieved – and economic slumps prevented – by influencing demand through active intervention of the government .
• Keynesian economics is considered to be a “demand-side” theory that focuses on changes in the economy over the short run.

Economics 101 continued..... (Souce Investopedia/others)

Inflation
• Inflation is defined as a sustained increase in the general level of prices for goods and services.
• Measured as an annual percentage increase.

Deflation
• General decline in prices.
• Often caused by a reduction in the supply of money or credit.
• Can be caused also by a decrease in government, personal or investment spending.
• Has the side effect of increased unemployment since there is a lower level of demand in the economy, which can lead to an economic depression.

Hyperinflation
• Extremely rapid or out of control inflation.
• There is no precise numerical definition to hyperinflation.
• Hyperinflation is a situation where the price increases are so out of control that the concept of inflation is meaningless.
• Famous examples of hyperinflation occurred in Germany in 1922-23. By some estimates, the average price level increased doubling every 28 hours.

Stagflation
• A condition of slow economic growth and relatively high unemployment accompanied by a rise in prices, or inflation.
• Stagflation occurs when the economy isn't growing but prices are, which is not a good situation for a country to be in.
• This happened to a great extent during the 1970s, when world oil prices rose dramatically, fueling sharp inflate

Monetary Policy
• The actions of a central bank or currency boards that determine the size and rate of growth of the money supply, which in turn affects interest rates.
• Monetary policy is maintained through actions such as increasing the interest rate, or changing the amount of money banks need to keep as reserves.
• In the United States, the Federal Reserve is in charge of monetary policy.
• Monetary policy is one of the ways that the U.S. government attempts to control the economy.
• If the money supply grows too fast, the rate of inflation will increase; if the growth of the money supply is slowed too much, then economic growth may also slow.
• In general, the U.S. sets inflation targets that are meant to maintain a steady inflation of 2% to 3%.

Accomodative Monetary Policy
• When a central bank (such as the Federal Reserve) attempts to expand the overall money supply to boost the economy when growth is slowing (as measured by GDP).
• This is done to encourage more spending from consumers and businesses by making money less expensive to borrow by lowering the interest rate.
• Furthermore, the Federal Reserve also has the authority to purchase Treasuries on the open market to infuse capital into a weakening economy.

Current Account
• The difference between a nation’s savings and its investment.
• It is an important indicator about an economy's health.
• It is defined as the sum of the balance of trade (goods and services exports less imports), net income from abroad and net current transfers.
• A positive current account balance indicates that the nation is a net lender to the rest of the world, while a negative current account balance indicates that it is a net borrower from the rest of the world.
• A current account surplus increases a nation’s net foreign assets by the amount of the surplus, and a current account deficit decreases it by that amount.
• The current account and the capital account are the two main components of a nation’s balance of payments.
• A country’s current account balance is influenced by factors such as – its trade policies, exchange rate, competitiveness, forex reserves, inflation rate and others.
• During a strong economic expansion, import volumes typically surge; if exports are unable to grow at the same rate, the current account deficit will widen. Conversely, during a recession, the current account deficit will shrink if imports decline and exports increase to stronger economies.
• The currency exchange rate exerts a significant influence on the trade balance, and by extension, on the current account.
• An overvalued currency makes imports cheaper and exports less competitive, thereby widening the current account deficit (or narrowing the surplus).
• An undervalued currency, on the other hand, boosts exports and makes imports more expensive, thus increasing the current account surplus (or narrowing the deficit).
• Nations with chronic current account deficits often come under increased investor scrutiny during periods of heightened uncertainty.
• The currencies of such nations often come under speculative attack during such times.
• This creates a vicious circle where precious foreign exchange reserves are depleted to support the domestic currency, and this forex reserve depletion - combined with a deteriorating trade balance - puts further pressure on the currency.
• Embattled nations are often forced to take stringent measures to support the currency, such as raising interest rates and curbing currency outflows.

DSM

Mother Superior was on her way to late morning prayers, when she passed two novices just leaving early morning prayers, on their way to classes. As she passed the young ladies, Mother Superior said, "Good morning ladies." The novices replied, "Good morning, Mother Superior, may God be with you. "But after they had passed, Mother Superior heard one say to the other, "I think she got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning."

This startled Mother Superior, but she chose not to pursue the issue. A little further down the hall, Mother Superior passed two of the Sisters who had been teaching at the school for several years. She greeted them with, "Good morning Sister Martha, Sister Jessica, may God give you wisdom for our students today." "Good morning, Mother Superior. Thank you, and may God be with you." But again, after passing, Mother Superior overheard, "She got out of the wrong side of bed today."

Baffled, the Mother Superior started to wonder if she had spoken harshly, or with an irritated look on her face. She vowed to be more pleasant. Looking down the hall, Mother Superior saw retired Sister Mary approaching, step by step, with her walker. As Sister Mary was rather deaf, Mother Superior had plenty of time to arrange a pleasant smile on her face, before greeting Sister Mary. "Good morning, Sister Mary. I'm so happy to see you up and about. I pray God watches over you today, And grants you a wonderful day."

"Ah, Good morning, Mother Superior, and thank you. I see you got up on the wrong side of bed this morning." Mother Superior was floored! "Sister Mary, what have I done wrong? I have tried to be pleasant, but three times already today, people have said that about me."

Sister Mary stopped her walker, and looked Mother Superior in the eye, "Oh, don't take it personal, Mother Superior. It's just that you're wearing Father Murphy's slippers."

avny

Mother Superior was on her way to late morning prayers, when she passed two novices just leaving early morning prayers, on their way to classes.

Sister Mary stopped her walker, and looked Mother Superior in the eye, "Oh, don't take it personal, Mother Superior. It's just that you're wearing Father Murphy's slippers."
good one..........:clapping::clapping::clapping:

DSM

Excerpt Jeff Wise / Personal notes
---------------------------------

Courage: it’s not just for heroes. Fear is an emotion we all deal with, and how we handle it is everything. How we grapple with our anxieties determines what kind of life we’ll lead — whether shackled by anxiety and dread, or empowered to conquer new challenges. Yet we spend most of our time trying to avoid fear, so we muddle along, rarely getting much better at the art of mastering it. That’s a shame, because with a little effort we can find the courage to push beyond our comfort zone and tackle new worlds.

Personal Notes
---------------

There are three type of fears :

1. Fear of the unknown
2. Fear of failure (or fearing risk)
3. Fear of looking foolish

All three impact the decisions of, if and how we trade. In this context there is a quote by Will Durant which says 'The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds'

A successful trader learns to transcend fear and to deal with it. The question is how does he do it.? Professional traders learn to take rational decisions in face of fear. Many times, it will mean just exiting a losing position. There is no thought of hoping for things to get better. They believe in taking losses when they are small - this differentiates them from the amatures - who lose.

What enables a trader to make rational decision at critical times they are in a trade.? Professional traders KNOW THE PRICE THEY WILL EXIT THE POSITION IF IT IS IN A LOSS. I.E THE STOP LOSS LEVEL IS DECIDED AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. MANY TRADERS WILL ENTER THE STOP LOSS IN THE SYSTEM IMMIDEATELY AFTER THEY ARE IN THE TRADE.

Overtime, and as a result of seeing positive trading results (due to cutting losses when small, and letting profits ride) these actions become second nature to a trader.

The most important lesson for a trader is the ability to quit a losing position quickly. Correspondingly, exits will be taken as decided by the market. This view is also espoused by Mark Douglas in his popular book - The Disciplined Trader in which he says - 'Be rigid with rules, and flexible with targets'

The rigid rule to follow always : Cut losses when small. The importance of following this rule cannot be over emphasized. Once this is done consistently and is a second nature to a trader - he will automatically stop fearing the markets.

DSM

An insightful story
------------------

An investment banker stood at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The banker complimented the fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The fisherman replied, “Only a little while.” The banker then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The fisherman said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The banker then asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The investor scoffed, “I am an Ivy League MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, and eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. “The investor continued, “And instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would then sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution! You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The fisherman asked, “But how long will this all take?” To which the banker replied, “Perhaps 15 to 20 years.” “But what then?” asked the fisherman.
The banker laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions!” “Millions. Okay, then what?” wondered the fisherman.

To which the investment banker replied, “Then you would retire. You could move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, and stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

The fisherman then asked the investment banker - 'What do you think I am doing now?'

dhinakar113

An insightful story
------------------

An investment banker stood at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The banker complimented the fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The fisherman replied, “Only a little while.” The banker then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The fisherman said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The banker then asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The investor scoffed, “I am an Ivy League MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, and eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. “The investor continued, “And instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would then sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution! You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The fisherman asked, “But how long will this all take?” To which the banker replied, “Perhaps 15 to 20 years.” “But what then?” asked the fisherman.
The banker laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions!” “Millions. Okay, then what?” wondered the fisherman.

To which the investment banker replied, “Then you would retire. You could move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, and stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

The fisherman then asked the investment banker - 'What do you think I am doing now?'
Nice one, DSM :)

DSM

Maxime Qavtaradze, a 59-year-old monk lives atop a stone pillar in Georgia, scaling a 131-foot ladder in order to leave and enter his lofty home. Amazing pics....

Mr.G

The brain of an investor. First thing that came to my mind when I saw the pic was "Damn thats a bad long term investment" Hahahaha..... My brain is hardwired for this stuff now!

DSM

Raj Bro, Where ever you are - We miss you and want to see you back.
This one is for you.