M6 - Man, Mind, Money, Markets, Method & Madness

amitrandive

Zen and the Art of Trading
http://financetrends.blogspot.in/2012/01/zen-and-art-of-trading.html

Came across this "lost" interview excerpt with an unnamed trader from Jack Schwager's New Market Wizards and I'd like to share it with you here.

As Schwager explains in the intro to his "Zen and the Art of Trading" chapter, this wide-ranging, and rather philosophical, interview with a top trader had to be scrapped on fears it would alter the trader's image with his firm's corporate clients.

Schwager asked this trader for permission to anonymously publish one interview excerpt, which he found particularly insightful. Here's a sample:

"...I still don't understand your trading method. How could you make these huge sums of money by just watching the screen?

There was no system to it. It was nothing more than, "I think the market is going up, so I'm going to buy." "It's gone up enough, so I'm going to sell." It was completely impulsive. I didn't sit down and formulate any trading plan. I don't know where the intuition comes from, and there are times when it goes away.

How do you recognize when it goes away?

When I'm wrong three times in a row, I call time out. Then I paper trade for a while.

For how long do you paper trade?

Until I think I'm in sync with the market again. Every market has a rhythm, and our job as traders is to get in sync with that rhythm. I'm not really trading when I'm doing those trades. There's trading being done, but I'm not doing it.

What do you mean you're not doing it?

There's buying and selling going on, but it's just going through me. It's like my personality and ego are not there. I don't even get a sense of satisfaction on these trades. It's absolutely that objective. Did you ever read Zen and the Art of Archery?..."

DSM

Quotes :

Life is full of risk, and we don’t have control over it as much as we would like to think we do. But we can reduce the risk and increase our leverage by being educated and making moderate choices and keeping a positive attitude. A lot of people have been great successes when the supposed ‘odds’ were against them. The won because they decided to take control of their destiny and refused to give up - Donald Trump

One way to maintain control is to keep the big picture in mind. You may not have control over a lot of things, but you can start with yourself. Brainpower is the ultimate leverage. You have got a brain, use it. Winners take control by accepting responsibility - Donald Trump

Your mind is the most valuable asset and your most valuable lever. You need to be careful about what you put in it. Sometimes it is even more difficult to get rid of thoughts and ideas that are already in your mind than it is to learn something new - Robert Kiyosaki

manishchan

I started with 2 mins sitting quietly.(Now i do 10 mins each sitting)
It was hard what do,what to think how to do and etc...
Just let thought run through mind,coz you can't do much because you doing it for first time.
Slowly you will get your thought clear and you feel much calm.
Once you get used you will just breathe and think nothing while doing it.
Do whenever you get time day/night/Afternoon/evening/early morning.

If you want to read then zenhabits.net is good blog
http://zenhabits.net/breathe/
http://zenhabits.net/start/
Manishchan,

Had learned from my yoga teacher.... There are different methods of meditation and once can choose what one finds simple and easy to follow initially, and then move on to other methods which resonate with self and brings one a sense of peace and tranquility....

One method is to sit clam, relaxed and undisturbed and focus on one sensory object. Some people choose to focus on the flame from a lamp or from a lighted candle (preferably in a dark room), others gaze at a fixed spot on the wall or a picture of God/Goddess, or even certain words or design or an image for example of Sri Yantra. Others may prefer to listen to rythmic chant or music or sounds of nature on a tape or on mobile. Some may choose to light an incense stick (aggarbatti) and focus on the sense of smell.... (what this does is takes away or stops the the rational part of the mind which usually very active) and uses this little used ability to help one relax. All these methods of meditation use external objects.

The opposite way would be to do away with external objects and focus on self - say breathing - Calming and slowing the mind by observing oneself inhale or exhale, or being aware one's own thoughts, or even one's own feeling. These help one to be calm and relax the much overused rational or logical part of the mind. A variant of this method is where one can also choose to reflect on one's feelings what makes one happy or sad or on issues one is facing. Being in a relaxed state of mind/body/awareness, one can get better insights, and may be able to see things differently or from previously unseen perspectives or find answers to difficult questions.

The third method of meditation is to let go of one self, thoughts, feelings and try to let the universe / divine power to connect to us. This can happen when we stop the focus and fixation on ourself, worries, issues and ego, we allow the light to enter.
Manish

One very powerful method is Guided Meditation.Lot of audio/videos on YouTube.
Some Links.

http://www.mindfulmuscle.com/5-top-guided-meditations/
http://www.tarabrach.com/audioarchives-guided-meditations.html
Thank you very much guys !! Sorry for the late response. Going through all the external links !! :)

Catch22

RBI imposes Rs 4.5 cr penalty on Dena Bank, OBC, BOM In aggregate three banks have to pay Rs 4.5 crore fine for failing to comply with the guidelines. Besides, the RBI has cautioned eight other banks-- Central Bank of India, Bank of India, Punjab and Sind Bank, Punjab National Bank, State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, UCO Bank, Union Bank of India and Vijaya Bank.
he Reserve Bank today imposed Rs 1.5 crore penalty each on three banks-- Dena Bank , Oriental Bank of Commerce and Bank of Maharashtra -- for violation of Know Your Customer/Anti Money Laundering norms

"This action is based on deficiencies in regulatory compliance and is not intended to pronounce upon the validity of any transaction or agreement entered into by the bank and its customers," it said
The penal action was based on the basis of a complaint received by the RBI from a private organization

Read more at: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/ec...k-obc-bom_1371507.html?utm_source=ref_article

Catch22

A Poem on Money

'A Poem to Humans by Money

Dear Humans,

I am the scariest thing society has ever seen!

I am the greenback, well, the dollar I mean.

I was created out of thin air.

I’ve been known to create much despair.

My mother is the Federal Reserve,

The corporatocracy she serves.

She is a private bank, not federal whatsoever.

Copulation between the two is the greatest financial crime ever.

I was born in debt.

Let’s not forget

that for every time I am produced,

it’s at interest; financial slavery it has induced.

It’s a system of self-generating debt.

For the people, it’s a threat.

The Federal Income the people have to pay,

actually goes to the interest of the Federal Debt today!

The rest of my family — the banking cartels,

are the criminals who put people in financial cells.

They control the money supply

and — surprisingly — the people comply.

They have a monopoly on the production of legal tender.

Blindfolds are placed on the citizens, naysayers called offenders.

Banks aren’t regulated any longer,

thus they invent their own policy, making them stronger.

Before, I used to be printed

based on how much gold was minted.

Now, I’m backed by nothing, except faith in a declining system; a zero, zilch, nada.

Tough to beat, the machine is protected by the corporate armada.

I am only important in this society,

because resources are needed, otherwise, physical and emotional anxiety.

Without me,

one could not survive against life’s army.

Soldiers of torment,

who withhold essential supplies and fragment

the social order;

leaving a few in prosperity and most in impoverished smolder.

But in reality, I am inconsequential.

Resources, abundance, love, sustainability: essential.

I am used in all countries

and yet I can’t grow on trees.

I cannot be eaten as a meal.

I provide no shelter, no nutrition, nor can I heal.

I dictate the lives of humanity.

A few have plenty while most wallets are empty.

So long as I exist,

the problems of the world will persist:

poverty, war, greed, famine, and division.

The people tossed out like cut foreskins; economic circumcision.

I hope people never ask themselves what is truly indispensable.

For if they knew the answer, they’d no longer be insensible.

They will come to realize that resources are needed.

And that they’ve been cheated.

Taught to focus on intangible things,

like corporate images, brands, and other nothings;

instead of focusing on natural resources that satisfy human wants and needs.

An intelligent management of the earth’s resources needs to proceed.

Until the masses wake up, I doubt that’d ever transpire

because their thoughts are guided by the corporate empire.

They are kept shallow.

Black Friday they will follow.

Taught to consume and consume some more,

environmental concerns they ignore.

My greatest enemy is a resource based economy.

I wouldn’t be needed and it would grant personal autonomy.

For the notion of money would be in the distant past.

Without me, pain, suffering, and misery couldn’t last.

Sincerely,

Money

by Gino Montessi

Last edited: