I invested 1 crore , now down 30 lacs, how to recover?

Guys,
I invested 1 crore in Stock market. Ashwani Gujral is managing my funds.
After reading his books and his Resume , i decided to go with him.
His web site promises lots of things and the result shown on the front page are impressive. But belive me, the website shows totally diffrent figures from actual transactions in my account.

It has been one year now , I am down by 30 lacs.

Any way, its not about him, its about me. He has his disclaimer to protect him. I found myself completely stupid and hopless about situation.

Now, what should I do, how should I recover my losses, should I continue with him till breakeven or should I just exit.

I know you are absolutly upset with me , I can take any kind of answer in any kind of langauge , as I deserve it.

Thanks
:mad:
Dear Friend,

I would rather sympathize with then be upset.

Personally, I can feel what you might be going through. Since, I have similar kind of experience with Mutual Funds.

I had around 100K, (its a very very big amount for me) which was invested in different MFs based on their past performance. Even after the market recovered by capital was down by 50%. That was around 4 months ago.

I have started trading almost 2 years back. I took out all my money with whatever loss I have and deposited half of it in FD's and remaining I have used it in my trading. By God's Grace, I might be in breakeven, in next six months time.

I would suggest, you learn yourself some investing technique. It could be anything, that may suit your personality and risk appetite. Diversify your portfolio, so that it minimizes the risk.

At the end, its your money and you are the best money manager for your money.

All the best.:thumb:

savkar

Dear dkardale,
It is hard to Blv that a person having 1 Crore has to come to internet forum for answers.
Also in such a dream bull run since last year, it's in fact HARD to loose money

This tells 2 things:
1. The democracy of internet allows free flow of true and rich information
2. You could not trust a single person in flesh with such a big amount

I mean 3 to 4 basic risk and money management would have kept you from this disaster. Even our parents used to teach us to keep money at 3 different places/bags while on travel !!

What i would have done is,
1. Park maybe around 30-40% of your pending funds in FD FOREVER.
2. Park 10-20% in CASH

3. Put rest in some flat/property/commercial shop in some prime area and city where you would get monthly income
OR
Park rest in around 'top 10 market cap' only A group/Blue chip companies, withdraw religiously after 20% profit OR Stop loss which ever comes earlier

All the best

Dear Savkar.
Thanks for your reply.
After reading your reply I realise you are not aware of complete truth which I didnt mentioned as it was not nessasary.
1 Cr. is 10th part of my cash. I have all the other things that you mentioned lined up nicely . But still I regards 30 lacs as extremly big loss and it is a big pain.

i came to internet forum after frustaion from all other professional companies who have other interst in you rather than pure inocent suggstions. I find this forum is more valuable than Ashwani Gujrals service. Belive me you guys are great.

Thanks all for all your suggestions. Plese give me all what is in your mind. I am reding it and will make sensible decision from all these expereince.
Regards.
DK

Dear dkardale,
It is hard to Blv that a person having 1 Crore has to come to internet forum for answers.
Also in such a dream bull run since last year, it's in fact HARD to loose money
What i would have done is,
1. Park maybe around 30-40% of your pending funds in FD FOREVER.
2. Park 10-20% in CASH
3. Put rest in some flat/property/commercial shop in some prime area and city where you would get monthly income
All the best
Dear Savkar.
Thanks for your reply.
After reading your reply I realise you are not aware of complete truth which I didnt mentioned as it was not nessasary.
1 Cr. is 10th part of my cash. I have all the other things that you mentioned lined up nicely . But still I regards 30 lacs as extremly big loss and it is a big pain.

i came to internet forum after frustaion from all other professional companies who have other interst in you rather than pure inocent suggstions. I find this forum is more valuable than Ashwani Gujrals service. Belive me you guys are great.

Thanks all for all your suggestions. Plese give me all what is in your mind. I am reding it and will make sensible decision from all these expereince.
Regards.
DK

Guys,
His web site promises lots of things and the result shown on the front page are impressive. But belive me, the website shows totally diffrent figures from actual transactions in my account.

Any way, its not about him, its about me. He has his disclaimer to protect him. I found myself completely stupid and hopless about situation.

Now, what should I do, how should I recover my losses, should I continue with him till breakeven or should I just exit.

I know you are absolutly upset with me , I can take any kind of answer in any kind of langauge , as I deserve it.

Thanks
u handle ur demat a/c i can help u

savkar

Dear Savkar.
Thanks for your reply.

i came to internet forum after frustaion from all other professional companies..............
Dear DK,
The fact that you made an attempt to come to internet shows that you know the right places to get advice :thumb:, which also meant that you would not invest a major part of your money in stock markets. So we had some idea that you would have a backup plan. Good to know.

Keep us updated on steps taken ! :cheers:

nac

Hi!

30% doesn't seem to be big but, 30 lakhs really seems to be biiiigggg amount.

Most of the guys here have asked you to invest in stock market or in FD and all of 'em have asked you to with draw from ASHWANI.

I am pretty sure that, if you got the ability to make/save 10c you should know how to recover this mere 3% loss. I am sure you can make it in one way another in a matter of weeks or months. So better make it in the field you know but not here in trading (If you say that you don't know trading or atleast enough knowledge or guts to pick best fund manager(s)).

And I believe that there would be some professionals around you like your CA... They would tell you where to invest where not to invest. If they say that you could protect/preserve your money (earned and going to be earned) here, then go ahead and trade.

Since you are biggie, you can employ someone to manage your portfolio. But don't think that I am speaking for fund managers or something. I always say "Better you do trade for your money but not others. If you want some one handle your money invest in mutual fund". May Ashwani failed but not everyone and every time. Because I really doubt that you can spend 8 hours a day to recover this 3% loss rather than employing someone to do it. I don't think you would do it by yourself.

Think and decide. I guess most of the guys who have suggested here wouldn't have managed a portfolio with the size you mentioned. But still consider everyone's and decide.
And I guess, you can set off this loss against profit/income you earned or carry forward this loss and set off in next year.

Take care...

Last edited:

SavantGarde

DKardale,

Firstly, My Sympathy On Your Loss....!!!

Now Coming To Your Portfolio.....If Ashwani Gujral....Has Not Been Able To Make Money From March Of Last Year For You When Nifty Was Around 2590 Levels...Then I Am Sorry To Say That He Is An Idiot....In My Opinion Anybody Having Invested Around March Onwards Should Be Sitting On Excellent Profit...By Now...& Moroever The Run On Sensex & Nifty Has Been A Steady Move Upto 4500-4700.

My Advice If He Hasn't Been Able To Make Money For You When It Was Relatively Easy.....How Can You Trust Him..Going Forward To Do Anything Except Make More Losses...Considering...Things Aren't Going To Be As Easy As It Was In The Last 12 Months....Suggestion Is To Close Your Account With Him...

If You Have Any Inclination...Towards Recovering Your Money...Just Go Through The Stock Futures Or 'Stocks To Keep A Close Eye On - Chapter-II' Thread In Equities Section...& Follow The Trades From There.....

Happy & Safer Investing

SavantGarde

Guys,

Thanks

Guys,

Thanks
Dkardale,
I have great sympathy with U. You shud take yr money back from the professionals. If they are expert then, I think, market can reward them more than what TV guys are giving to them.
Acceptance of mistake is good but reapting the mistake is very bad.
I will suggest U to learn the basic rope of trading by yourself. Develope the trading system that suit your mental wavelenth. Paper trade to fine tune your trading system and when you comfortable with yr paper trading then put yr real money.
By this way, U not only recover yr losses but able to make profit in future.

Afterall, you and only you are the manager of your financial resources. I hope you will receive success in your mission.

Sagar

Guys,

Thanks
It is sad to learn that you lost a sizeable amount of money (may be a small portion in comparision to your total wealth). It is surprising and unbelievable that a fund manager like aswani gujral was managing it to a loss.

I feel it has something to do factors other than your analytical abilities, decision making skills etc. May be we call it luck, or destiny or god's will.

I am sure that god has given you this kind of money, must be giving you with the skills and resources to manage that too. My thoughts after reading your thread are

1. Plan carefully for the remaining 70 L you have invested in the equity market

2. Go in small lots, slow and steady.

3. keep in mind 3 things while negotiating with a fund manager.

a) Fund managers fee (generally 1-3% of AUM annually, depending on the quality of management)

b) Fixed return offered (generally 8-12% - Which is a clause you must insist before signing the Fund Management Arrangement)

c) Profit sharing agreement (20/80).

This is my understanding of Funds Management. I dont see much scope in this for losing your capital. You can get a best deal by negotiating with the fund managers.

4. Have check on finanaces by independent consultant, some kind of audit to the functioning of your funds.

5. Lastly all the best for your future investments.