General Trading Chat

ST da,

The trend change today to short... can you explain this part, please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pivot low near the red line is a visual PL by virtue of 1) pivot upgradation and 2) meeting point of a minor uptrend and downtrend,and the lower visual PH and crack of VPL has started visual downtrend.

ST

toocool

The pivot low near the red line is a visual PL by virtue of 1) pivot upgradation and 2) meeting point of a minor uptrend and downtrend,and the lower visual PH and crack of VPL has started visual downtrend.

ST
Sir

I also take home trades, so in that situation, I have to see major pH and pl as well

So I was watching market on 15 minutes timeframe, assuming visual trend was up yesterday and today at open, but I couldn't short nifty calls today as I thought visual was up so should buy the lows (sell the puts, as I trade in options mainly selling them) and missed the profits infact lost minor today, I hadn't taken long yesterday meaning not sold puts yesterday.

How do I see this method on carry trades

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

Sir

I also take home trades, so in that situation, I have to see major pH and pl as well

So I was watching market on 15 minutes timeframe, assuming visual trend was up yesterday and today at open, but I couldn't short nifty calls today as I thought visual was up so should buy the lows (sell the puts, as I trade in options mainly selling them) and missed the profits infact lost minor today, I hadn't taken long yesterday meaning not sold puts yesterday.

How do I see this method on carry trades

In daytrades,we trade minor trends in the direction of visual trends. In swing trades,we trade visual trends in the direction of major trends.

We are looking for all 3 trends on a single timeframe.So it becomes little difficult to see major trends till you have good practice of identifying various trends and initially it may give rise to confusions like what you are having now.

For swing trades we are trading visual trends so you enter in the direction of a ongoing visual trend and remain in position till the visual trend continues in that direction....but that will mean late entry and also late exit compared to Daytrading leaving some profits on the table....but that is part of swing trading....you try to catch the middle portion.

Some traders trade the swing trades but keep their initial stoploss at the opposite side minor pivot to take trades on smaller stoploss....once the trade moves in your favour, then you start monitoring it on visual trends.For swing trades,the stoploss is at the visual pivots so it may be at 60-70 points away in Nifty...and in nontrending markets visual trends change too often..that is why smaller stops at initial entry could be helpful.

Smart_trade

Last edited:

vivektrader

In persuit of financial independence.
In daytrades,we trade minor trends in the direction of visual trends. In swing trades,we trade visual trends in the direction of major trends.

We are looking for all 3 trends on a single timeframe.So it becomes little difficult to see major trends till you have good practice of identifying various trends and initially it may give rise to confusions like what you are having now.

For swing trades we are trading visual trends so you enter in the direction of a ongoing visual trend and remain in position till the visual trend continues in that direction....but that will mean late entry and also late exit compared to Daytrading leaving some profits on the table....but that is part of swing trading....you try to catch the middle portion.

Some traders trade the swing trades but keep their initial stoploss at the opposite side minor pivot to take trades on smaller stoploss....once the trade moves in your favour, then you start monitoring it on visual trends.For swing trades,the stoploss is at the visual pivots so it may be at 60-70 points away in Nifty...and in nontrending markets visual trends change too often..that is why smaller stops at initial entry could be helpful.

Smart_trade
Sir,
For portfolio stocks what definition and what timeframe should be used to define downtrend and exit long-term holdings.
We have various definitions like lower high, lower lows, below 200 day moving average etc.
Largecaps like Maruti, Eicher etc had a 30-40% correction from their all time highs due to some disruptive events in technology and demand.
I remember once you told that 50% of gains on a long term holding belong to you and 50% to the market, and initial stop-loss of 25% if a prospective long-term position goes for a nosedive immediately after entry.
I also remember that 8-10% correction in evergreen stocks from top is a good position to buy provided the trend is up
This last underlined part with respect to holdings is not clear to me.

Sir,
For portfolio stocks what definition and what timeframe should be used to define downtrend and exit long-term holdings.
We have various definitions like lower high, lower lows, below 200 day moving average etc.
Largecaps like Maruti, Eicher etc had a 30-40% correction from their all time highs due to some disruptive events in technology and demand.
I remember once you told that 50% of gains on a long term holding belong to you and 50% to the market, and initial stop-loss of 25% if a prospective long-term position goes for a nosedive immediately after entry.
I also remember that 8-10% correction in evergreen stocks from top is a good position to buy provided the trend is up
This last underlined part with respect to holdings is not clear to me.
For swing trades, trade intermediate trends but for investments trade on long term trends.One has to be alert to disruptions due to technology change,Govt policy change,issues with corporate governance etc...and if no disruption is seen, even evergreen stocks like Asian Paints,HDFC Bank can correct 10% any time and that is a great opportunity to buy....

Maruti And Eicher Motors,signs of demand for vehicles going down was clearly visible.There is also disruption from electric vehicles...in oil marketing companies disruption is from Govt policies and uncle Trump ,so one has to be away from these..

Smart_trade

toocool

Smart_trade
Still new to the method so will try to make a new thread for my practice and post my views there and trades too

Hope you will find time to correct my wrongs :)

Regards