General Trading Chat

Were you able to trade in 2008 bear market...no liquidity issue ?
Yes, infact that was my career best year ( 2007 and 2008 ).......there used to be large gaps in direction of the trend but one could buy/sell without any issues...

ST

vivektrader

In persuit of financial independence.
No ,in 2008 was 90 % trader and 10 % investor but I invested in good stocks from time to time....sequential I was following from 1998 to buy /sell at the reversal points..

These days 90 % investor and 10 % trader....

ST
Wow, you have been following sequential for last 20years, hats off.

Vivek

vivektrader

In persuit of financial independence.
They sure will fall with nifty, and stop falling only after nifty does.

Vivek

Sir,

Do you continue with monthly SIPs in bear market phase too or encash some part of it at reversal points.

thanks
SIP performs best in bear markets.....you buy units at lower values so you get more units and when the bear market turns into bull market, you are well positioned to cash on it.

I do encash part of my share and mutual funds portfolio from time to time on reversals and buy at lower levels.I have some trading positions and some investments positions.Investment positions in stocks and mutual funds I encash after 1 year to book tax free long term capital gains....trading positions I make short term gains and there are ways of taking a tax shield to protect these gains....I have spoken about it few times in this thread.

Last edited:
@ST sir, WHAT UR EXPERIENCE on situation where only nifty is flying n small/midcap not performing...?
That probably means that small cap has already run ahead and now large caps and nifty constituents are catching up.....after some sideways action, small caps will rally again if the trend is intact.

When a important event is near,people go slow on buying small caps as any correction is very strong in small and Midcap stocks...so investors prefer to stick to large caps nifty stocks...

ST

Mutual funds I never sell till I hold them for atleast 1 year....but whenever I see reversal,there is always some amount which has completed one year so I sell and book LTCG and keep the liquidity ready for buying aggressively in corrections...some Mutual funds I am holding for over 5 years...holding for long period always helps .

ST