General Trading Chat

Hi Traderniftybull, below are the charts as requested
upload_2017-10-29_12-45-56.png
upload_2017-10-29_12-48-1.png

One of the members gave a great suggestion on the thread via private message (thx so much :) ) - start two threads, one in members discussion forums where only thread starter can post and others can read, so that the flow of thoughts won't get disturbed/digressed. And another thread for follow up discussion on the topic posted in Members thread (here, we will have interactions from everyone) - this sounds like a great idea. So, will implement this.

Was thinking of posting 1 topic per week and we will have discussions on it in the other thread. Would really appreciate if we can make this interactive and all kinds of opinions(even negative/mildly insulting) are welcome :) ). Opinions and disagreements can invigorate our thought process more - i strongly believe that and hence, feel free to write your contrary opinions as well (remember this is a discussion - not a ego-winning war .. So, i will not engage myself into ego fights..when we cut the oxygen, fire will get automatically doused :) )

Sometimes, a single topic can span into multiple sub-topics and hope its fine. I have created a rough list of things i want to discuss(this is what i have in my mind currently). I might add more as things go by. Have put a lot of thought into topics and would not want to discuss any bookish/theoretical stuff here. Want to discuss something that can be used right away(tangible) and relevant to real trading. So, avoided most of the topics that we see in common trading books (atleast tried to :) )

Please let me know if you want add anything else to this list. If you notice carefully, most of these topics were never discussed in known trading books but i feel they are very important in their own way.

Guess we all are gonna have some fun !!

Here is the list of topics(per week) - not necessarily in that order.

1. Minimum starting funds to trade – why under-capitalization is one of the most important reasons for failure in trading?

2. Mentoring – How difficult it is to find a mentor in the world of posers and other aspects of mentoring

3. Can simple directional trading work?

4. Common newbie trader woes and fixes – hurdles of trading

5. Increasing trading size gradually. Why ‘taking an elevator’ (increasing size faster) is a sure-shot way for disaster

6. Psychology in trading – is it over-rated? Is it an hoax?

-- This can actually span into multiple topics and weeks

7. What shift in psychology made you profitable in trading? - Discussions

8. A system’s basic tenets and Backtesting systems

-- again, this could span multiple weeks

9. What is ‘edge’ in a system? How important is the edge of a system? Is the word ‘edge’ over rated?

10. The real trading holy grail – Execution.

11. Money management in trading (and exit strategies – types) and importance of ‘withdrawing’ funds regularly

12. Trading office and importance of official data/backup PC/Internet

13. Why trading journal is more important than your holy-grail indicator?

14. Handling trading emergencies – related to having backup plans and handling gaps against us

15. Law of large numbers

16. Consistently profitable traders are risk averse or risk takers? J

17. Failure and success stories of trading – various trading styles – gap only trader, earnings traders, spread traders – stories of failure traders and learnings

18. Ancillary businesses of trading – trading education, tips service, indicator selling

19. If 90% of the traders fail, why not just do the opposite? :) This will be an interesting topic

20. Scaling in vs All in and Scaling out vs All out in entry/exits

21 Fixed targets vs trailing stops

22. Pyramiding – is it reserved only for pros? When to start pyramiding?

23. What is ‘mental ceiling’ – why are we not able to maximize our potential beyond a certain point?

24. What is our greatest weakness and how it is affecting our trading day in/day out?

25. Software for trading Indian markets and data related.

26. Why traders blow-up accounts? – How to avoid them?

27. Weekly/monthly goals in trading – (most day-traders and some swing traders have it)

28. Charting colours and their effect on our mind - another interesting topic

29. YOU are the separating factor between success and failure in trading – not indicators

30. Our Mind and trading success – how both are interconnected

I know how to open the members only thread..can someone please let me know a suitable sub-forum topic to open the other thread(like under which forum topic, we should open this discussion thread)
Congratulations for your new child :)

Really appreciate the effort you are willing to take to help other traders. Looking forward to it and all the best in your trading journey :)

madank

Market participant
Ok then..took the plunge..posted both the threads...also added them in my signature :)

Lets have some great discussions going forward !!

Happy trading :)

Fun fact:

I have always wondered why futures contracts are sometimes referred to as "cars" when you listen to old-time foreign traders or books before 1970/80s. I thought some of you might wonder the same thing. Here is the background for it -

Before early 1970’s, CME was a market for futures on agricultural commodities (no foreign currencies, Eurodollar bond or US treasury bond in those days) – the kind moved around in railroad cars. An agricultural contract usually involves about as much meat or grain as it took to fill a freight car, and so traders thought of and spoke of the ‘contracts’ as carload quantity lots, or just ‘cars’. The young men trading in this pit haven’t been around the exchange that long. But to defer to the old-timers who built this place (and to use the jargon of the insider), they started calling the S&P contracts as ‘cars’ too.

Last edited:
Bharat 22 ETF to open for public subscription on November 15

NEW DELHI: Bharat 22 exchange traded fund (ETF) is all set to open for public subscription on November 15, ICICI Prudential Asset Management Company while filing the launch documents for the open-ended ETF said on Saturday. Anchor investors could participate in the new fund offer (NFO) on November 14, it said.

The NFO will close on November 17.

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/61292672.cms?

Hi can anyone share some insight on Jet airways upswing today. The stock is up 6%, I'm wondering what has triggered this
One cycle of EW are completed from 2017 to 23 oct 2017 now fresh cycle started. I absolutely have no idea what fundamental factor triggerd but technically this is what i see

Maruti above 8230 :happy:

Smart_trade
Da,

seems like fresh upmove and fresh accumulation ........ its a breakout with volume on daily chart ....