Equity Research Analyst

Hi rkthomas,

You are absolutely right. And I promise that when I become a certified analyst, I am going to help all the fellow investors here on traderji.com. I have learned a lot from the members of this community and I am going to return it back.

Thanks,

Mohan

karthikmarar

Hi rkthomas,

You are absolutely right. And I promise that when I become a certified analyst, I am going to help all the fellow investors here on traderji.com. I have learned a lot from the members of this community and I am going to return it back.

Thanks,

Mohan
Mohan,

Great attitude, My Friend. I am sure that you will be a certified analyst very soon. Wishing you all the very best in life..

warm regards

Karthik

Mohan,

Great attitude, My Friend. I am sure that you will be a certified analyst very soon. Wishing you all the very best in life..

warm regards

Karthik
Thanks a lot Karthik. Very soon I am going to start a thread on something like this -
" A quick and dirty fundamental check before trading using technical indicators"

I am going to help swing traders use some of the important aspects from the fundamentals of the company before they confirm their trading decisions (which are based on technical analysis). For example - fine tuning the stoploss in the light of fundamental analysis.

Will post more details soon.

Hi Mohan

You can get the latest beta values for sensex scrips in the following link

http://www.bseindia.com/about/abindices/betavalues.asp

If you need to calculate them yourself you can use the attached spreadsheeet to calculate them .

cheers
Hi coolblue,

Blue is my fav color too.
Thanks a lot for the link and the spreadsheet.

1. I was wondering if the CORREL (Correlation) function of the excel can be used to calculate beta values. I used it to calculate the correlation coefficients between stocks and from that the standard deviation of my portfolio, given the individual weights.

2. IS it safe to use the last years data for beta calculation and then stick to it? Or should we update the beta with short term data? I mean does the beta change much in the short term or does it remain more or less same?

3. Is there a faster way of updating the sheet with market and stock returns? It looks like the sheet is generated as a report by some software tool or macro. If yes, can you please share the same?

Thanks once again for the info and sheet.

Mohan

Hi coolblue,

Blue is my fav color too.
Thanks a lot for the link and the spreadsheet.

1. I was wondering if the CORREL (Correlation) function of the excel can be used to calculate beta values. I used it to calculate the correlation coefficients between stocks and from that the standard deviation of my portfolio, given the individual weights.

2. IS it safe to use the last years data for beta calculation and then stick to it? Or should we update the beta with short term data? I mean does the beta change much in the short term or does it remain more or less same?

3. Is there a faster way of updating the sheet with market and stock returns? It looks like the sheet is generated as a report by some software tool or macro. If yes, can you please share the same?

Thanks once again for the info and sheet.

Mohan
Hi Mohan

Sure my friend.
Btw
1)It is easier to use the beta formula directly.

2)That depends on your need. If you need latest data all you have to do is take the data from www.nseindia.com(For stock data try Home/equity/historical data link and for Index data Home/Indices/statistics/historical data Link) and cut and paste the data to the attached sheet. When you cut and paste it just make sure that the value of N(no. of observations) is changed in the formula. (Whereever B257 appears in formula change it to the actual no. of observations).

3)The sheet is not part of any report. Just my own.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi analysts,
Hope you people will give some piece of advice. I have a B.tech degree in comp sc and a part time MBA degree in Finance from IIMC. never tried in Financial sector as in my opinion, part time MBA doesnt carry much value. Will CFA certification add some value?
Just for info, I have NCFM certification too, did it in whim, never tried to utilise :(

Hi Mohan

Sure my friend.
Btw
1)It is easier to use the beta formula directly.

2)That depends on your need. If you need latest data all you have to do is take the data from www.nseindia.com(For stock data try Home/equity/historical data link and for Index data Home/Indices/statistics/historical data Link) and cut and paste the data to the attached sheet. When you cut and paste it just make sure that the value of N(no. of observations) is changed in the formula. (Whereever B257 appears in formula change it to the actual no. of observations).

3)The sheet is not part of any report. Just my own.

Thanks
Hi coolblue,

Thanks for solving my queries, and the nse link. I come from IT background so I tend to think in terms of automation and software tools.

You must be working as an equity research analyst. I was wondering if I can get a good research report on a firm with the valuation model and calculations to study. Or Can you suggest any company that I can use for practicing valuation models? I wish to pick up a few companies and apply multistage FCFF and FCFE, relative multiples and DCF models.

Thanks for you guidance.

Mohan

Hi analysts,
Hope you people will give some piece of advice. I have a B.tech degree in comp sc and a part time MBA degree in Finance from IIMC. never tried in Financial sector as in my opinion, part time MBA doesnt carry much value. Will CFA certification add some value?
Just for info, I have NCFM certification too, did it in whim, never tried to utilise :(
Hi dinker,

CFA will definately add a LOT OF VALUE. I ma not saying this with any bias, but I have a lot of exp in IT and I planned to shift to the finance side, starting with CFA. If you wish to undertake any study in finance, I suggest you try CFA.

Hi coolblue,

Thanks for solving my queries, and the nse link. I come from IT background so I tend to think in terms of automation and software tools.

You must be working as an equity research analyst. I was wondering if I can get a good research report on a firm with the valuation model and calculations to study. Or Can you suggest any company that I can use for practicing valuation models? I wish to pick up a few companies and apply multistage FCFF and FCFE, relative multiples and DCF models.

Thanks for you guidance.

Mohan
Hi Mohan

Try the book "Financial statement analysis and securities valuation" by stephen H. Penman. It is one of the good books on valuations and covers almost all the topics.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/007253317x/information_center_view0/

Use this link for practise exercise. This link gives models for all topic covered in the books by penman and also some practise exercise.

Cheers.

Last edited: