Equity Research Analyst

Hi dinker,

CFA will definately add a LOT OF VALUE. I ma not saying this with any bias, but I have a lot of exp in IT and I planned to shift to the finance side, starting with CFA. If you wish to undertake any study in finance, I suggest you try CFA.
Thanks Mohan,
I have little idea of CFA. Can u pls give some idea how to get tregistered, how to take exam and what kind of opportunities are there.

Hi Mohan

Try the book "Financial statement analysis and securities valuation" by stephen H. Penman. It is one of the good books on valuations and covers almost all the topics.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/007253317x/information_center_view0/

Use this link for practise exercise. This link gives models for all topic covered in the books by penman and also some practise exercise.

Cheers.
Hi Coolblue,

Thanks for the great link. I am going to download all the chapter PPTs and practise exercises. Good stuff.

I am also working on the valuation of Great Offshore Ltd. I am going to use DCF of FCFF.

I have come to the conclusion that the biggest challenge in valuations is understanding the business of the firm. I think the most important skill is the business acumen and business management skills - including business process reeingineering, brand management, marketing and corporate strategy.

I guess a good financial analyst is required to have a good understanding of business management. Otherwise one is likely to depend on the management of the company for all the assumptions that go into valuations. The analyst is only left with the plug and chug of numbers in his financial model. And that can bias the valuation in the interest of the firm being valued.

By the way, have you tried the webcasts and online material by Aswath Damodaran. LEt me know if you havent and I can send you the link.

Thanks,

Mohan

Thanks Mohan,
I have little idea of CFA. Can u pls give some idea how to get tregistered, how to take exam and what kind of opportunities are there.
Hi dinkerj,

Visit cfainstitute.org for more details. There are 3 levels. The first Level exam is next in June 07. You register on the site, pay the membership and exam fees and take the exam. It is conducted in Mumbai only.

You can easily get the material in mumbai. The exams are very tough. The pass rate for the Level 1 is 35-40% globally. The passing cutoff is 70% but its a percentile grading system.

Prospects are good. High returns on the investment you make in preparing for the charter. Definately worth a try.

LEt me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Mohan

Hi dinkerj,

Visit cfainstitute.org for more details. There are 3 levels. The first Level exam is next in June 07. You register on the site, pay the membership and exam fees and take the exam. It is conducted in Mumbai only.

You can easily get the material in mumbai. The exams are very tough. The pass rate for the Level 1 is 35-40% globally. The passing cutoff is 70% but its a percentile grading system.

Prospects are good. High returns on the investment you make in preparing for the charter. Definately worth a try.

LEt me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Mohan
Thanks.
You have been very helpful. Will bother u again and again :)

Hi Coolblue,

Thanks for the great link. I am going to download all the chapter PPTs and practise exercises. Good stuff.

I am also working on the valuation of Great Offshore Ltd. I am going to use DCF of FCFF.

I have come to the conclusion that the biggest challenge in valuations is understanding the business of the firm. I think the most important skill is the business acumen and business management skills - including business process reeingineering, brand management, marketing and corporate strategy.

I guess a good financial analyst is required to have a good understanding of business management. Otherwise one is likely to depend on the management of the company for all the assumptions that go into valuations. The analyst is only left with the plug and chug of numbers in his financial model. And that can bias the valuation in the interest of the firm being valued.

By the way, have you tried the webcasts and online material by Aswath Damodaran. LEt me know if you havent and I can send you the link.

Thanks,

Mohan
Hi Coolblue,

waiting for your reply.

Thanks,

Mohan

Hi Coolblue,

Thanks,

Mohan

Hi Mohan

Aswath's (of stern fame) site is a wonderful resource especially in student days when you have assignments to prepare etc. it has helped me a lot in the past. Happily for me i am quite past my student days. Am a trader now and my interest in fundamental analysis is purely academic.

So both penman and AD's site are all yours to enjoy.

Cheers:D

Last edited: