EOD Download/ Convert from NSE and BSE

pasha

Hi Pankaj,
After reinstalling Windows, I used your app and have to compliment you on an excellent job.
It is a huuuuugge timesaver!
Apart from the time saved by d/l individual files from BSE/NSE, the convertor really helps.
Thank you for a wonderful piece of software.
BTW, without the patch, the files are already AB compliant.

pkjha30

dear pankaj,
while updating files, if the program indicates that 'this' file is of version no. & date is proposed to be replaced with 'this' file name of version & date. the purpose of this file is .....

"please press OK to update the file."

this will give confidence to user while pressing 'OK'. hope your program does this.

all the best.
MurthyMSR
Hi Murthygaru

I will try to incorporate your suggestion.Visual Basic's Package and deployment wizard is perhaps not adequate. I will tryout others and let you know.

pankaj:)

pkjha30

Hi Pankaj,
After reinstalling Windows, I used your app and have to compliment you on an excellent job.
It is a huuuuugge timesaver!
Apart from the time saved by d/l individual files from BSE/NSE, the convertor really helps.
Thank you for a wonderful piece of software.
BTW, without the patch, the files are already AB compliant.
Hi Pasha

Thanks a lot.
Pankaj:)

Hello Pankaj,

I had downloaded and tried to install the EOD Download/ Convertor. But i am getting certain errors and cannot run the programme.

My OS is windows XP sp2 with the most recent update of Microsoft. I am also using Zone Alarm and AVG Antivirus. I had also installed VB runtime files and the file mentioned by you file in x86 folder before installing.

During installation i had got the usual message of retaining the new files or not and also the following message for which i had pressed ignore button.

"An error occurred while
registering the file
'C:\windows\system32\shfolder.dll' with options to
abort, retry & ignore.

The programme got installed successfully. But i am not able to start it without being connected to the internet. Secondly after the welcome screen i get the message " Run time error 339 Component MSMAP 132.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered.A file is missing or invalid". So virtually i cannot start the programme.

I had uninstalled and reinstalled it atleast 6 times. Still i cannot get it to open. I have no problem in installing other VB based utilites.

Another point is what if i need to use your utility off line.

Could you kindly upload to your briefcase the latest version with all upgrades and patches integrated into one setup file with the latest version number.
I also would suggest that if possible you can include in your set up file all recent versions of the files(DLL or OCX types) required for your utility rather than leaving the choice of file version selection to the user.

Since many of the messages during installation does not show the new or old version number of the file a user will be confused as to which is the newer file.A smooth installation always gives the user confidence in the utility.It will be also better if you can provide an uninstall facility.

Probably if you can use a utility like advanced installer to pack the exe.file it will be more easier.

Regards

Saji

pkjha30

Hello Pankaj,

I had downloaded and tried to install the EOD Download/ Convertor. But i am getting certain errors and cannot run the programme.

My OS is windows XP sp2 with the most recent update of Microsoft. I am also using Zone Alarm and AVG Antivirus. I had also installed VB runtime files and the file mentioned by you file in x86 folder before installing.

During installation i had got the usual message of retaining the new files or not and also the following message for which i had pressed ignore button.

"An error occurred while
registering the file
'C:\windows\system32\shfolder.dll' with options to
abort, retry & ignore.

The programme got installed successfully. But i am not able to start it without being connected to the internet. Secondly after the welcome screen i get the message " Run time error 339 Component MSMAP 132.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered.A file is missing or invalid". So virtually i cannot start the programme.

I had uninstalled and reinstalled it atleast 6 times. Still i cannot get it to open. I have no problem in installing other VB based utilites.

Another point is what if i need to use your utility off line.

Could you kindly upload to your briefcase the latest version with all upgrades and patches integrated into one setup file with the latest version number.
I also would suggest that if possible you can include in your set up file all recent versions of the files(DLL or OCX types) required for your utility rather than leaving the choice of file version selection to the user.

Since many of the messages during installation does not show the new or old version number of the file a user will be confused as to which is the newer file.A smooth installation always gives the user confidence in the utility.It will be also better if you can provide an uninstall facility.

Probably if you can use a utility like advanced installer to pack the exe.file it will be more easier.

Regards

Saji
Hi Saji

Thanks for your suggestion.All advanced installers come at a price and in dollars.
However, I have located few free installers which do the job in a better way. Personally ,I am aware of the capabilities of one of them which uses scripting and may meet most of the requirements as pointed out by Murthygaru and You.May be some limitations would be there.

I am testing the installation which would include os specific installation, version check , uninstaller and options for shortcuts, folders etc.
If test results are succesfull, I will post the setup. Meanwhile, I will post patch-5(I am skipping two patches as they were used for beta) today evening.

I was getting some errors as BSE is giving files in which names of the companies include *(astrixs) giving file creation error as these are not permitted for naming of files in windows system. This check and validation ,correction is now included. MAPI ocx is a standard control but not required byt the programme.It was inadvertantly included in setup.I am sorry for inconvenience caused to all.

Internet check is now delayed a little. It will take place after form is fully loaded.

Those who want conversion page to be displayed first, should open Options dropdown menu and settings page and select Converter as the startup page. From next time converter will be displyed as default.How ever I am changing default from Download to converter so as to make loading without internet check.

I had detected a memory leak which would have caused problem in low memory system if large number of files are queued for conversion.Now that problem has been fixed and conversion process has been also speeded up. peak memory requirement for conversion of BSE files would be less than 15 mb.

These will be part of release note and readme note. Help file will be updated over weekend.

Pankaj:)

murthymsr

Hello Pankaj,

Saji
i compliment saji for the way he presented the issue, which any developer would enjoy reading.

i post this mesage, as i read some posts related to problems faced by users, which go something like:
"i installed your program. it is not working. what to do? please advise me."

what to do ?

Hello,

Thanks to Murthy and pankaj for your observations. pankaj if you would like i can send you a couple of top of the model installers. Of course for free. Let me have your PM.

Regards

Saji

pkjha30

Hi

As informed earlier I have uploaded EODDownloadConvert Ver 1.0.5 at my briefcase

Patch file (263 kb compressed archive file)
http://briefcase.rediff.com/bn/br/pjhapondy///Shared/EODDownloadConvert-patch-5.zip?d=0
upgrade file also contains ver 1.0.5
http://briefcase.rediff.com/bn/br/pjhapondy///Shared/EODDownloadConvert-Updrade.zip?d=0

Readme.txt and release notes contain important details.

First time installation may use full setup but do go though threads on this topics. Once installed, please download patch-5 and replace the exe with patch-5 which is ver 1.0.5

If setup is asking you to update your systemfiles you can safely ignore:D. If you get error abut dll loaded but not registered that also should be ignored.
SHfolder.dll is not needed for WINXP so it can be ignored. But on win98 ,it should be added.

In this release I have attended to all the feedback I have received so far.

There is a send mail option by which you can send mail at the address fixed for this programme. [email protected] Kindly describe errors , if any , or attach error.log from BIN folder.

Pankaj :)

Hello Pankaj,

Installed the EOD.Installed successfully. Have not started using it. One
glitch noticed.While quitting the application using
the exit button from file menu the message do you want
to exit the application is asked a second time even
after clicking yes for the first message. only when
the second same message is also clicked for yes the
utility is closed.But if the close X button is used no
problem.

Will use it later and suggest improvements if any
required. Mail send to gmail ID provided is bouncing hence using traderji. Had attached a free version of setup exe.(Inno setup version 5.1.7) released last week.

Regards