Discount Broker Comparison

Creep

The analysis are purely based on numbers. The background and reliability of the brokers are not taken into context.

Let me tell you when Zerodha started they are only few people sitting there doing their business. I opened account with them at very early stage.
I understood their concept and jumped right in.
To start with deposited only 10k did some trading tested withdrawing money then gradually increase my trading balance as I gained confidence on them.

Today Zerodha is a big name because of us the traders.
Now that the second wave of discount brokerage is coming we cannot just sit their and ignore them. Some of them will be game changer in future.
BPR and everyone,

In a business like this, a business of scale, only the people who have the scale survive. For every 1 Ryan air or Air asia or Indigo( 100 others fail), For every 1 easy group 100 others fail, for every 1 micromax 100 others who tried the same failed, for every 1 amazon 100 others failed... that is the law of nature.

In case of airlines or any other business which focuses on giving discounted prices, if the business goes bust there is nothing much to loose for us the end user. But in case of a financial services firm, if it goes bust, so will our money sitting with them. This is a broker, do you remember what happened to Global Trust bank?

All those who are in the delusional world of, your money is safe with your brokerage, excuse me, did you just see what happened with NSEL? that was an exchange itself.

I am a CA and was part of a research team for an international brokerage who was looking at viability of business in India. They eventually decided not to, but my job during that time was to do an industry analysis, that is when I ended up seeing balance sheet of all the brokerages and landed on this forum.

Today cost of being a broker on NSE and BSE is around Rs 3 crores, including your backoffice cost, office space and initial setup cost. The running cost is atleast 10lks/month. I am assuming this if the person is using NSE NOW where technology is free. But if they have their own technology another 70lks/year in fixed cost.

If this broker charges Rs 1000/client he needs to get 1000 active clients for making Rs 10lks and another 1000 clients to recover initial investment cost. Probably another 500 for recovering his advertisement cost.

That is 2500 active clients before he sees any money.

Now coming to the very interesting part, Reliance money with over 200 branches had only 7000 active clients. Indian markets are highly inactive and I can bet that most of the brokers that you have mentioned will have less than 500 active clients. So you know how much time before they go bust, they will be burning at Rs 5 to Rs 10lks per month. The deeper the pocket the longer they might last.

But if they go bust, let me tell you my friends, you are not getting any money back from anybody, NSEL is a good case in itself. The reason we didn't have any till now is because, this model was not really there till now. RK Global was the only one running it and he has real estate business to support the brokerage business. The promoter to be precise has actually lost interest in brokerage business now.

Cost of membership has remained the same, actually dropped in case of BSE, so there are a lot of entities with no credibility entering the business. A seat on NYSE costs 20 million dollars, on NSE less than 0.3 million dollars. This figure has remained the same for the last 20 years NSE has been in business. 1.5crores to become a NSE member in 1994 was a really big amount then, 1.5 crores today hmmm there are thousands who spend that much on a car today.

bpr

BPR and everyone,

In a business like this, a business of scale, only the people who have the scale survive. For every 1 Ryan air or Air asia or Indigo( 100 others fail), For every 1 easy group 100 others fail, for every 1 micromax 100 others who tried the same failed, for every 1 amazon 100 others failed... that is the law of nature.

In case of airlines or any other business which focuses on giving discounted prices, if the business goes bust there is nothing much to loose for us the end user. But in case of a financial services firm, if it goes bust, so will our money sitting with them. This is a broker, do you remember what happened to Global Trust bank?

All those who are in the delusional world of, your money is safe with your brokerage, excuse me, did you just see what happened with NSEL? that was an exchange itself.

I am a CA and was part of a research team for an international brokerage who was looking at viability of business in India. They eventually decided not to, but my job during that time was to do an industry analysis, that is when I ended up seeing balance sheet of all the brokerages and landed on this forum.

Today cost of being a broker on NSE and BSE is around Rs 3 crores, including your backoffice cost, office space and initial setup cost. The running cost is atleast 10lks/month. I am assuming this if the person is using NSE NOW where technology is free. But if they have their own technology another 70lks/year in fixed cost.

If this broker charges Rs 1000/client he needs to get 1000 active clients for making Rs 10lks and another 1000 clients to recover initial investment cost. Probably another 500 for recovering his advertisement cost.

That is 2500 active clients before he sees any money.

Now coming to the very interesting part, Reliance money with over 200 branches had only 7000 active clients. Indian markets are highly inactive and I can bet that most of the brokers that you have mentioned will have less than 500 active clients. So you know how much time before they go bust, they will be burning at Rs 5 to Rs 10lks per month. The deeper the pocket the longer they might last.

But if they go bust, let me tell you my friends, you are not getting any money back from anybody, NSEL is a good case in itself. The reason we didn't have any till now is because, this model was not really there till now. RK Global was the only one running it and he has real estate business to support the brokerage business. The promoter to be precise has actually lost interest in brokerage business now.

Cost of membership has remained the same, actually dropped in case of BSE, so there are a lot of entities with no credibility entering the business. A seat on NYSE costs 20 million dollars, on NSE less than 0.3 million dollars. This figure has remained the same for the last 20 years NSE has been in business. 1.5crores to become a NSE member in 1994 was a really big amount then, 1.5 crores today hmmm there are thousands who spend that much on a car today.
Agreed you have a point. But what is the solution ? go back to cave days trade with icicidirect IIFL ...etc
Why don't you share the detailed statistics of all the broker and its background that you have already studied for every-bodies benefit here.
Let everybody decide on their own.

GTji

BPR and everyone,
The reason we didn't have any till now is because, this model was not really there till now. RK Global was the only one running it and he has real estate business to support the brokerage business. The promoter to be precise has actually lost interest in brokerage business now.
I am glad that we have you to educate us on matters of financial security with regards to brokers and how they run their business.

About RK Global, are you saying that their business is not profitable?

Will you be able to give us an example on how the broker can run away with the funds which we keep in our trading accounts or how we could lose our money if the broker for some reason cannot sustain his business?

poortrader

I am glad that we have you to educate us on matters of financial security with regards to brokers and how they run their business.

About RK Global, are you saying that their business is not profitable?

Will you be able to give us an example on how the broker can run away with the funds which we keep in our trading accounts or how we could lose our money if the broker for some reason cannot sustain his business?
Yes Creep, go ahead..dissect these brokers' records. It will help many. But this is the reply we get from brokerages.
http://help.rksv.in/support/solutio...vide-me-that-my-money-will-be-safe-with-rksv-
that they keep client's money in separate account as directed by sebi, and say that equities is a highly regulated business. Please also throw light on this.

bpr

Ok Time to go for the kill. Lets dive deeper and find out whether we are really going to save any money by switching to Other discount broker. If yes then how much money we are going to save approx. Is it really worth the hassle?

In our earlier analysis we selected SAS,RKSV and VPS as top discount brokers for Futures category.
We will pit them against Zerodha one by one.

For this comparison I have taken Average trades per day as 10. 1 trade constitutes 1Buy + 1 Sell. As the number of trades increases the cost of Zerodha Brokerage will increase compared to other flat brokerages.

Futures Comparison Zerodha Vs SAS
10 trades per day

Futures Comparison Zerodha Vs RKSV
10 trades per day

Futures Comparison Zerodha Vs VPS
10 trades per day

For VPS the calculation not entirely accurate.This is only valid assuming you will hit the cap 1700 in a month.
Till you hit the cap the brokerage cost will be higher about half of what Zerodha will cost.After that the brokerage cost will spread. Even with 10 trades a day you will hit the cap after 9 trading days. So we are good with that assumption.

bpr

Conclusion:

1) Savings across the board. Yes it makes sense to switch. Even with the Stamp duty advantage of Zerodha overall other Flat brokerages are cheaper.

2) The Saving percentage declines as the turnover increases.
As turnover tends to infinite the
SAS Saving percentage tends to 8.16
RKSV Saving percentage tends to 12.24
VPS Saving percentage tends to 8.16

3) Also people should note the importance of turnover charge which makes a difference vs the flat brokerage amount 1947 Vs 1000 Vs 1700 which is insignificant.

4) Stamp Duty charge makes a impact and can not be ignored.

3) Comparison of Savings % Vs Zerodha and Re Ranking

So Final conclusion if the daily turnover is <2 Cr
then SAS > RKSV > VPS

If the daily turnover is > 2 Cr
then RKSV > SAS > VPS

poortrader

Conclusion:

1) Savings across the board. Yes it makes sense to switch. Even with the Stamp duty advantage of Zerodha overall other Flat brokerages are cheaper.

2) The Saving percentage declines as the turnover increases.
As turnover tends to infinite the
SAS Saving percentage tends to 8.16
RKSV Saving percentage tends to 12.24
VPS Saving percentage tends to 8.16

3) Also people should note the importance of turnover charge which makes a difference vs the flat brokerage amount 1947 Vs 1000 Vs 1700 which is insignificant.

4) Stamp Duty charge makes a impact and can not be ignored.

3) Comparison of Savings % Vs Zerodha and Re Ranking

So Final conclusion if the daily turnover is <2 Cr
then SAS > RKSV > VPS

If the daily turnover is > 2 Cr
then RKSV > SAS > VPS
Nice comparison, but what about those guys who do not hit max cap of these brokers, there will be more guys (in number) who will be trading 4-5 lots per day. I think RKSV (if you take that 25Rs per trade plan) and VPS are not bad in that scenario also.
It will be nice if anyone who has opened SAS account describes her/his experience with the broker. Does SAS have a thread in this forum? RKSV and VPS are active in this forum. VPS customer care has been very active in replying to mails and despatch of forms.

SAS website-FAQ under maintenance.

We should also look at margins of all the brokers, platform etc

Last edited:

saakk

Ok Time to go for the kill. Lets dive deeper and find out whether we are really going to save any money by switching to Other discount broker. If yes then how much money we are going to save approx. Is it really worth the hassle?

In our earlier analysis we selected SAS,RKSV and VPS as top discount brokers for Futures category.
We will pit them against Zerodha one by one.

For this comparison I have taken Average trades per day as 10. 1 trade constitutes 1Buy + 1 Sell. As the number of trades increases the cost of Zerodha Brokerage will increase compared to other flat brokerages.

Futures Comparison Zerodha Vs SAS
10 trades per day

Futures Comparison Zerodha Vs RKSV
10 trades per day

Futures Comparison Zerodha Vs VPS
10 trades per day

For VPS the calculation not entirely accurate.This is only valid assuming you will hit the cap 1700 in a month.
Till you hit the cap the brokerage cost will be higher about half of what Zerodha will cost.After that the brokerage cost will spread. Even with 10 trades a day you will hit the cap after 9 trading days. So we are good with that assumption.
Sir, For 1000 CR TURNOVER Zerodha is charging only 50rs STAMP DUTY???

Nice comparison, but what about those guys who do not hit max cap of these brokers, there will be more guys (in number) who will be trading 4-5 lots per day. I think RKSV (if you take that 25Rs per trade plan) and VPS are not bad in that scenario also.
It will be nice if anyone who has opened SAS account describes her/his experience with the broker. Does SAS have a thread in this forum? RKSV and VPS are active in this forum. VPS customer care has been very active in replying to mails and despatch of forms.

SAS website-FAQ under maintenance.

We should also look at margins of all the brokers, platform etc
Hi,

I emailed SAS guys n following are answers I got:-

Sir,

As per your questions, please note the details below:
1. Check the link below to know about the firm:
http://sasonline.in/about-sasonline.htm

2. I have attached charges list. Please check. Also providing a link to the brokerage calculator below:
http://sasonline.in/brokerage-calculator.htm

3. We have a tie up with IL&FS for DP services. DP Account opening is Rs.300 and AMC is Rs.300. If you do not wish to pay the charges, we can map your existing Demat account as well.

4. Account opening charges are a minimal Rs.200. This is a life time charge as we do not have any annual maintenance/software charges/hidden charges after that.

5. We provide NSE Now in mobile/Web/Trader versions. There are no charges for the platform we provide.

6. We provide you with contract notes at the end of the day via email. There is no SMS facility after every trade.

7. Exposure- Equity: 5-9 times in Category A stocks; Future: 2 times; Option Selling: 2 times; Currency: 2 times. All are intraday limits.

8. Please check Brief attachment for other queries.

Please provide us with your contact details if any other query.

Anubha
SAS Online
011-66030490