Discount Broker Comparison

bpr

Nice comparison, but what about those guys who do not hit max cap of these brokers, there will be more guys (in number) who will be trading 4-5 lots per day. I think RKSV (if you take that 25Rs per trade plan) and VPS are not bad in that scenario also.
It will be nice if anyone who has opened SAS account describes her/his experience with the broker. Does SAS have a thread in this forum? RKSV and VPS are active in this forum. VPS customer care has been very active in replying to mails and despatch of forms.

SAS website-FAQ under maintenance.

We should also look at margins of all the brokers, platform etc
Yes people need to take all that into consideration. VPS hybrid plan vs the flat brokerage plan of SAS and RKSV.
If you do not hit the cap in VPS still you will save than Zerodha as you will be spending 50 % brokerage of what you will be paying Zerodha. The percentage saving will reduce but not that much.
The fact that somebody wants to move to these brokers is to do active tradings. So they should easily hit the cap.

@Margins Good idea I will add extra rows to capture that for all the brokers.
Guys help me get all margins for these brokers.

bpr

Ok For some of us where you employ a strategy which creates a lot of trades and those of you who use Algo they might do 100 trades or more per day.

Let's look at the same data if we take avg number of trades per day to be 100.

Futures Comparision Zerodha Vs SAS
100 trades per day

Futures Comparision Zerodha Vs RKSV
100 trades per day

Futures Comparision Zerodha Vs VPS
100 trades per day

Saving % Comparison

Conclusion:

First of all there is a typo in the column header which says 10 trades per day Plz ignore that.

Second the data is little misleading in the sense if a user trades single lot nifty 100 times its turnover will be 5 Cr. So please look the data from 5 cr and above.

If you compare with our previous data you will see that saving percentage has increased but as we increase in turnover the difference reduces.

bpr

Zerodha's Answer to All: Zerodha Winner Challenge

Ok what if you are one of the winners. Looks like The zerodha Winner challenge is here to stay forever. Zerodha wants to retain winners as they consistently remain in the market and create business where as the loosers are erratic come and go . Zerodha Challenge is no freebie it is a strategic move to remain competitive with other Discount brokerages and at the same time retain the winners. A very very strategic move.:thumb:

Lets see how it fares in our calculation.

Zerodha Vs SAS
Assuming trader is a Winner

Zerodha Vs RKSV

Zerodha Vs VPS

Comparison

Conclusion

> All of a sudden Zerodha becomes cheaper than RKSV,VPS for upto 75 lakh turnover.
> The saving percentage drops to single digit across the board from the double digit highs that we saw earlier.

> Zerodha Challenge is unable to Save Zerodha completely but narrows the gap significantly.

If Zerodha make themselves a Zero brokerage regardless of winner challenge then a lot of low Volume traders ( which are mostly loosers :D) will stay with them.
Also it will suit their name Zero + Rodha.;)
Along with that if they lower their turnover charges marginally, I am talking 430 from the current 490 they will become No 1 again :cool:
May be they will get some ideas after reading this or may be not :rofl:

poortrader

Zerodha's Answer to All: Zerodha Winner Challenge

Ok what if you are one of the winners. Looks like The zerodha Winner challenge is here to stay forever. Zerodha wants to retain winners as they consistently remain in the market and create business where as the loosers are erratic come and go . Zerodha Challenge is no freebie it is a strategic move to remain competitive with other Discount brokerages and at the same time retain the winners. A very very strategic move.:thumb:

Lets see how it fares in our calculation.

Zerodha Vs SAS

Zerodha Vs RKSV

Zerodha Vs VPS

Comparison

Conclusion

> All of a sudden Zerodha becomes cheaper than RKSV,VPS for upto 75 lakh turnover.
> The saving percentage drops to single digit across the board from the double digit highs that we saw earlier.

> Zerodha Challenge is unable to Save Zerodha completely but narrows the gap significantly.

If Zerodha make themselves a Zero brokerage regardless of winner challenge then a lot of low Volume traders ( which are mostly loosers :D) will stay with them.
Also it will suit their name Zero + Rodha.;)
Along with that if they lower their turnover charges marginally, I am talking 430 from the current 490 they will become No 1 again :cool:
May be they will get some ideas after reading this or may be not :rofl:
very good point you made about zerodha retaining the winners, they themselves stated in a post that only 1 out of 10 are winners. they also metnioned they want to make more winners out of the 10 clients. they are working on an innovation called open trade
the person who is trading 1 - 3 lots will be charged less than max cap in VPS, i.e Rs 20 brokerage for 1 lot, so calculate for 5lakh with 20 brokerage for VPS

Last edited:

poortrader

I had emailed some esquires to SAS, VPS and RKSV

RKSV has a good system of ticket number assigned to mails. However took 48 hours to respond.

SAS has no email on their site, only a form, still the query yet to be replied.

VPs took few hours to reply and are very prompt.

balab

I would really like to know the margin policy for these brokers. Zerodha is excellent and required only 40% of SPAN margin to take a position. I think this point is important as it allows greater leverage and should be a significant factor for higher volume intraday traders, probably as important as the low brokerage and turnover charges. What is the point of a discount broker where you need to put up higher cash margin?
Tradejini is missing here, it has a model similar to Zerodha, 20 per order
http://tradejini.com/pricing.php