Day Trading Stocks & Futures

Maxx ji .. you need to give your update as well :)
With the rise in VIX and fall in nifty yesterday, it was not good for me. Held on to the 10.4k PE July write from before. Rolled down calls another strike to 11k July yesterday morning which helped. Today with the upmove and fall in VIX is a big relief.. would end with around 2 odd % return for this month.
Is there a way you track volatility and with the increase or decrease of it get out of your position or are you a compulsive writer?

MaxX

Is there a way you track volatility and with the increase or decrease of it get out of your position or are you a compulsive writer?
I track volatility to determine when to move my strikes. When VIX gets higher can roll calls closer as a sudden upmove would cause a drop in VIX and call prices do not rise much in that scenario so I can write calls closer to get more points on downside. Then I roll up the calls again as market moves higher.

I base my position on high TF charts and write puts below strong supports on weekly/monthly charts, which has worked very well for me. Yesterday market closed right near the weekly strong support. In case of no closeby strong supports like after january massive one way upmove I do not enter position. On the very minor chance of strong support break I would get out (takes a few hits to break it usually).

I track volatility to determine when to move my strikes. When VIX gets higher can roll calls closer as a sudden upmove would cause a drop in VIX and call prices do not rise much in that scenario so I can write calls closer to get more points on downside. Then I roll up the calls again as market moves higher.

I base my position on high TF charts and write puts below strong supports on weekly/monthly charts, which has worked very well for me. Yesterday market closed right near the weekly strong support. In case of no closeby strong supports like after january massive one way upmove I do not enter position. On the very minor chance of strong support break I would get out (takes a few hits to break it usually).
So if you dont find decent a weekly support, you do not write only puts and you do write calls . Or is it that you do not take any postion ?Here your calls would be taking a lot of heat and without puts to offset it, it would be a difficult position.

Let me know if I am misunderstanding your statement.

MaxX

So if you dont find decent a weekly support, you do not write only puts and you do write calls . Or is it that you do not take any postion ?Here your calls would be taking a lot of heat and without puts to offset it, it would be a difficult position.

Let me know if I am misunderstanding your statement.
I do not write any position in that scenario.. I don't take one sided position.. In the recent past that has happened only in jan end for a few days till it tanked back down and could write again in feb. My trading is based a lot on my analysis of the charts..

I have not yet gotten myself comfortable enough to buy options.. am exploring though when I can make opportunistic short term buys. That would really boost my returns if I am able to do it well..

Last edited: