Thomas DeMark Sequential System

TD COMBO

Sequential does a great job in identifying the tops/bottoms of the market but in some cases particularly in rapidly falling/rising markets another method called Combo does a great job in identifying tops/ bottoms. It is recommended that both Sequential and Combo may be monitored simultaneously. It is my experience that many times the Combo identifies a top/bottom but sequential count down 13 is not yet completed....then market goes in opposite direction for sometime and comes back to test the top/bottom and in this secondary test move, sequential gives a 13 count down buy/sell signal.

Sequential and Combo do not speak too often but when they speak, it is in our interest that we pay attention .

The combo differs from sequential in the following :

1) Set up in sequential and combo are same.....the only difference is sequential requires Intersection on 8th,9th or any subsequent bar whereas in combo there is no need for Intersection.

2) The count down in sequential can start earliest from 9th bar. In combo it starts from 1st bar provided the set up of minimum 9 bars is completed. The question is if we need 9 bars set up to be completed then how can combo countdown start from first bar of set up ?? The answer is simple....start counting count down from 1st set up bar after 9 bar set up is complete.

3) The Count down conditions of combo are different....they are as under

For COMBO BUY Count Down

a)For Buy combo count down, the close of the countdown bar is equal to or lesser than low of the bar 2 bars earlier.

b) Each Buy combo count down bar's low is lower than the low of previous bar.

c) Each successive Buy Combo count down day close is lesser than the previous count down bar's close . This condition obviously does not apply to Combo count down bar 1 as there is no previous count down bar before it.

d)The close also needs to be less than the previous bar's close.

For COMBO SELL Count Down

a)For Sell combo count down, the close of the countdown bar is equal to or greater than high of the bar 2 bars earlier.

b) Each Sell combo count down bar's high is higher than the high of previous bar.

c) Each successive Sell Combo count down bar's close is higher than the previous count down bars close. This condition obviously does not apply to Combo count down bar 1 as there is no previous count down bar before it.

d)The close also has to be greater than previous bar's close.

Entry, Exits,Stoploss,Profit taking in case of combo same as sequential.

There is more liberal version of combo which I follow which requires all the conditions of combo countdown bars as mentioned above to be followed for first 10 combo count down bars but for 11,12 and 13 bars all other conditions are waived...only condition is the close of these bars be lower than previous combo count down bar for buy count down and the close of these bars be higher than previous combo count down bar for sell count down.

We will see a Nifty futures daily chart to see TD Combo in action in the next post..

Smart_trade

Last edited:

Though I have not got good accuracy for sequential and combo for time periods less than 60 min and daily, but sometimes even 5 min combo identify the top/bottom of the move and if your other methods are also indicating reversal , it is a high confidence entry for a very profitable move.

In this chart we got a 5 min NF combo sell and the 30 min TDST was in this area, giving us a good shorting opportunity.

But I do not recommend Sequential and Combo for smaller timeframes. TDST work great on smaller timeframes.

Smart_trade

What commitment sirji... Awesome... A man true to his words is worth being in touch with... i will Definately apply and share it with this forum for the benefits of the members...

Again thanks for all the support...

ST sir now i am familiar with setup, CD, intersection, Entry, SL, recycling, opposite setup etc ....

2 aspects of which i am still unaware of are EXIT and PROFIT BOOKING...

can u pls elaborate a little on these 2 sub topics...

thank you

Regards
Ritesh

pav

The AFL I am using is attached. Please rename the file as TDST.afl and copy paste in Programme Files.......Amibroker---Formulas----custom folder

Smart_trade
ST sir,

please post again TDST lines AFL because in that post there is no TDST lines AFL .

Thanks & regards

TDST Lines AFL

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
SetChartOptions(0,chartShowArrows|chartShowDates);
_N(Title = StrFormat("{{NAME}} - {{INTERVAL}} {{DATE}} Open %g, Hi %g, Lo %g, Close %g (%.1f%%) {{VALUES}}", O, H, L, C, SelectedValue( ROC( C, 1 ) ) ));
Plot( C, "Close", ParamColor("Color", colorBlack ), styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") | GetPriceStyle() );
ToolTip = "Open = " + O + "\nHigh = " + H + "\nLow = " + L + "\nClose = " + C;

_SECTION_END();

_SECTION_BEGIN("TD Systems");
// Parameters
ShowNumbers= ParamToggle("Show 1-8 Numbers","No|Yes", 1);
ShowTDPoints = ParamToggle("Show TD Points", "No|Yes", 1);
ShowTDST = ParamToggle("Show TD Setup Trend", "No|Yes", 1);
tdstsa = 0;
tdstba = 0;
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//********************************************** TD Points******************************************** ************************/
function TD_Supply()
{
return ( H > Ref(H, 1) AND H > Ref(H, -1) AND H > Ref(C, -2));
}
function TD_Demand()
{
return ( L < Ref(L, 1) AND L < Ref(L, -1) AND L < Ref(C, -2));
}
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// *********************************************** TD Sequential**************************************** ********************/
// *** Setup Buy Signal ***
//nine consecutive days closes less than the close four days earlier
Con = C < Ref( C, -4);
Buy9Bars = BarsSince(BarsSince(Con));
Buy9Signal = Buy9Bars == 9;

// *** Requirements ***
//The first day of the nine-day must be preceded by a close day immediately before it that is greater than OR equal to the Close four days earlier
Con = Ref(C, -9) >= Ref(C, -13);
Buy9Req = Buy9Signal AND Con;

// *** Intersection ***
// the high of either day 8 or day 9 is greater than or equal to the low three,four, five, six, OR seven days earlier
Con1 = (H >= Ref(L, -3)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -3));
Con2 = (H >= Ref(L, -4)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -4));
Con3 = (H >= Ref(L, -5)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -5));
Con4 = (H >= Ref(L, -6)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -6));
Con5 = (H >= Ref(L, -7)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -7));

Buy9Intr = Buy9Req AND (Con1 OR Con2 OR Con3 OR Con4 OR Con5);
// *** Setup Sell Signal ***
//nine consecutive days closes greater than the Close four days earlier.
Con = C > Ref( C, -4);
Sell9Bars = BarsSince(BarsSince(Con));
Sell9Signal = Sell9Bars == 9;

// *** Requirements ***
//The first day of the nine-day must be preceded by a Close day immediately before it that is less than the Close four days earlier
Con = Ref(C, -9) < Ref(C, -13);
Sell9Req = Sell9Signal AND Con;

// *** Intersection ***
//the low of either day 8 or day 9 is less than or equal to the high three,four, five, six, OR seven days earlier
Con1 = (L <= Ref(H, -3)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -3));
Con2 = (L <= Ref(H, -4)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -4));
Con3 = (L <= Ref(H, -5)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -5));
Con4 = (L <= Ref(H, -6)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -6));
Con5 = (L <= Ref(H, -7)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -7));

Sell9Intr = Sell9Req AND (Con1 OR Con2 OR Con3 OR Con4 OR Con5);
if(StrToNum(NumToStr(Buy9Intr))) Sell9Intr = False;
if(StrToNum(NumToStr(Sell9Intr))) Buy9Intr = False;
BuySignal = Flip(Buy9Intr, Sell9Intr);
// *** Buy Countdown ***
//With respect to a pending Buy Signal, the close must be less than the low two days earlier
Con = C < Ref(L, -2);
Buy13Count = Sum(Con AND BuySignal, BarsSince(Buy9Intr));
Buy13Signal = Buy13Count == 13;

// *** Sell Countdown ***
//with respect to a pending Sell Signal, the Close must be greater than the High two trading days earlier.
Con = C > Ref(H, -2);
Sell13Count = Sum(Con AND NOT BuySignal, BarsSince(Sell9Intr));
Sell13Signal = Sell13Count == 13;
//*********************************************** TD Sequential Plotting area *************************************************/
Plot(C, "", IIf(O>=C, colorRed, colorGreen), styleBar);
PlotShapes(IIf(Buy9Intr OR Sell9Intr, shapeDigit9, shapeNone),colorBlue, 0, H,
20);
if(ShowNumbers)
PlotShapes(IIf(Buy9Bars==1, shapeDigit1,
IIf(Buy9Bars==2, shapeDigit2,
IIf(Buy9Bars==3, shapeDigit3,
IIf(Buy9Bars==4, shapeDigit4,
IIf(Buy9Bars==5, shapeDigit5,
IIf(Buy9Bars==6, shapeDigit6,
IIf(Buy9Bars==7, shapeDigit7,
IIf(Buy9Bars==8, shapeDigit8,
IIf(Buy9Bars >9, shapeStar,shapeNone))))))))),colorGreen, 0, H, H*.0015);
if(ShowNumbers)
PlotShapes(
IIf(Sell9Bars==1, shapeDigit1,
IIf(Sell9Bars==2, shapeDigit2,
IIf(Sell9Bars==3, shapeDigit3,
IIf(Sell9Bars==4, shapeDigit4,
IIf(Sell9Bars==5, shapeDigit5,
IIf(Sell9Bars==6, shapeDigit6,
IIf(Sell9Bars==7, shapeDigit7,
IIf(Sell9Bars==8, shapeDigit8,
IIf(sell9bars>9, shapeStar,shapeNone))))))))),colorRed, 0, H, H*.0015);

Sell = Sell13Signal AND NOT BuySignal;
Buy = Buy13Signal AND BuySignal;
Sell = ExRem(Sell, Buy);
Buy = ExRem(Buy, Sell);
PlotShapes(Sell*shapeDownArrow, colorYellow, 0, H, -H*.001);
PlotShapes(Buy*shapeUpArrow, colorBrightGreen, 0, L, -L*.001);

if(StrToNum(NumToStr(BuySignal)))
bgColor = ColorRGB(0,66, 2);
else
bgColor = ColorRGB(66,2, 0);
//*********************************************** TD Points Plotting area *************************************************/
if(ShowTDPoints)
{
PlotShapes(TD_Supply()*shapeSmallCircle, colorRed, 0, H, H*.001);
PlotShapes(TD_Demand()*shapeSmallCircle, colorGreen, 0, L, -L*.001);
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
y0 = StrToNum(NumToStr(ValueWhen(TD_Demand(), L)));
x = LineArray(0, y0, (BarCount-1), y0);
Plot(x, "", colorGold, styleDashed);
y0 = StrToNum(NumToStr(ValueWhen(TD_Supply(), H)));
}
//*********************************************** TDST Plotting area *************************************************/
// ---------------->>>> Code from Dave <<<---------------------- //
if(ShowTDST)
{
tdstba =Cum(0);
tdstb = Null;
HHV9 = HHV(H,9);
for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) tdstba = Null;

for( i = 10; i < BarCount; i++ )
{
if (Buy9Bars == 9)
{
HHV_b = HHV9;
if (HHV_b > C[i-9])
tdstb = HHV_b;
else tdstb = C[i-9];

for (j = 0; j < 9; j++ )
tdstba[i-j] = tdstb;
}
else tdstba = tdstb;
}

tdstsa =Cum(0);
tdsts = Null;
LLV9 = LLV(L,9);
for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) tdstsa = Null;

{
if (Sell9Bars == 9)
{
LLV_b = LLV9;
if (LLV_b < C[i-9])
tdsts = LLV_b;
else tdsts = C[i-9];

for (j = 0; j < 9; j++ )
tdstsa[i-j] = tdsts;
}
else tdstsa = tdsts;
}
Plot(tdstba, "TDSTb", colorBlue,styleStaircase | styleThick|styleDots);
Plot(tdstsa, "TDSTs", colorRed,styleStaircase | styleThick|styleDots);

}
_SECTION_END();

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
_N(Title = StrFormat("{{NAME}} - {{INTERVAL}} {{DATE}} Open %g, Hi %g, Lo %g, Close %g (%.1f%%) {{VALUES}}", O, H, L, C, SelectedValue( ROC( C, 1 ) ) ));
Plot( C, "Close", ParamColor("Color", colorBlack ), styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") | GetPriceStyle() );
_SECTION_END();

Last edited by a moderator:
ST sir now i am familiar with setup, CD, intersection, Entry, SL, recycling, opposite setup etc ....

2 aspects of which i am still unaware of are EXIT and PROFIT BOOKING...

can u pls elaborate a little on these 2 sub topics...

thank you

Regards
Ritesh
Once a Buy countdown is complete and we get a buy signal, we hold ideally till we get a sell sequential/combo signal. But this does not hold in actual practice. So we must hold till we get a set up in the opposite direction ie we get a sell set up. And we have buy TDSTs . If the market finds it difficult to take out a but TDST while it is doing a sell set up, we consider that the market will reverse after sell set up. So we get out on sell set up completion. But if the move is powerful and it takes out the buy TDST in first 5-6 bars of the sell set up , it means the uptrend is strong and it is likely to continue till 13 sell countdowns. In this case it is advisable to wait for sell countdown completion.

So as DeMark says Sequential is a meter which measures the market activity and decides where to take profits.

Traders who are learning may find a bit difficult to understand but look at chart in post 413 which suggests profit taking at the completion of 9 set up bars.....as the market is unable to take out the TDST. But just look at chart in Post 414 ( 5 min NF ) the sell set up has taken out the buy TDST ( not drawn on the chart but one can see it in last downmove) in 6th bar indicating that the market upmove is strong and will most likely complete 13 sell countdowns of sequential/combo). It is the market action which announces the further direction which the market is likely to take.

Smart_trade

Last edited:

pav

ST sir,

please post again TDST lines AFL because in that post there is no TDST lines AFL .

Thanks & regards

TDST Lines AFL

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
ToolTip = "Open = " + O + "\nHigh = " + H + "\nLow = " + L + "\nClose = " + C;

_SECTION_END();

_SECTION_BEGIN("TD Systems");
// Parameters
ShowNumbers= ParamToggle("Show 1-8 Numbers","No|Yes", 1);
ShowTDPoints = ParamToggle("Show TD Points", "No|Yes", 1);
ShowTDST = ParamToggle("Show TD Setup Trend", "No|Yes", 1);
tdstsa = 0;
tdstba = 0;
//********************************************** TD Points******************************************** ************************/
function TD_Supply()
{
return ( H > Ref(H, 1) AND H > Ref(H, -1) AND H > Ref(C, -2));
}
function TD_Demand()
{
return ( L < Ref(L, 1) AND L < Ref(L, -1) AND L < Ref(C, -2));
}
// *********************************************** TD Sequential**************************************** ********************/
// *** Setup Buy Signal ***
//nine consecutive days closes less than the close four days earlier
Con = C < Ref( C, -4);
Buy9Bars = BarsSince(BarsSince(Con));
Buy9Signal = Buy9Bars == 9;

// *** Requirements ***
//The first day of the nine-day must be preceded by a close day immediately before it that is greater than OR equal to the Close four days earlier
Con = Ref(C, -9) >= Ref(C, -13);
Buy9Req = Buy9Signal AND Con;

// *** Intersection ***
// the high of either day 8 or day 9 is greater than or equal to the low three,four, five, six, OR seven days earlier
Con1 = (H >= Ref(L, -3)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -3));
Con2 = (H >= Ref(L, -4)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -4));
Con3 = (H >= Ref(L, -5)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -5));
Con4 = (H >= Ref(L, -6)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -6));
Con5 = (H >= Ref(L, -7)) OR ( Ref(H, -1) >= Ref(L, -7));

Buy9Intr = Buy9Req AND (Con1 OR Con2 OR Con3 OR Con4 OR Con5);
// *** Setup Sell Signal ***
//nine consecutive days closes greater than the Close four days earlier.
Con = C > Ref( C, -4);
Sell9Bars = BarsSince(BarsSince(Con));
Sell9Signal = Sell9Bars == 9;

// *** Requirements ***
//The first day of the nine-day must be preceded by a Close day immediately before it that is less than the Close four days earlier
Con = Ref(C, -9) < Ref(C, -13);
Sell9Req = Sell9Signal AND Con;

// *** Intersection ***
//the low of either day 8 or day 9 is less than or equal to the high three,four, five, six, OR seven days earlier
Con1 = (L <= Ref(H, -3)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -3));
Con2 = (L <= Ref(H, -4)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -4));
Con3 = (L <= Ref(H, -5)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -5));
Con4 = (L <= Ref(H, -6)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -6));
Con5 = (L <= Ref(H, -7)) OR ( Ref(L, -1) <= Ref(H, -7));

Sell9Intr = Sell9Req AND (Con1 OR Con2 OR Con3 OR Con4 OR Con5);
if(StrToNum(NumToStr(Buy9Intr))) Sell9Intr = False;
if(StrToNum(NumToStr(Sell9Intr))) Buy9Intr = False;
BuySignal = Flip(Buy9Intr, Sell9Intr);
// *** Buy Countdown ***
//With respect to a pending Buy Signal, the close must be less than the low two days earlier
Con = C < Ref(L, -2);
Buy13Count = Sum(Con AND BuySignal, BarsSince(Buy9Intr));
Buy13Signal = Buy13Count == 13;

// *** Sell Countdown ***
//with respect to a pending Sell Signal, the Close must be greater than the High two trading days earlier.
Con = C > Ref(H, -2);
Sell13Count = Sum(Con AND NOT BuySignal, BarsSince(Sell9Intr));
Sell13Signal = Sell13Count == 13;
//*********************************************** TD Sequential Plotting area *************************************************/
Plot(C, "", IIf(O>=C, colorRed, colorGreen), styleBar);
PlotShapes(IIf(Buy9Intr OR Sell9Intr, shapeDigit9, shapeNone),colorBlue, 0, H,
20);
if(ShowNumbers)
PlotShapes(IIf(Buy9Bars==1, shapeDigit1,
IIf(Buy9Bars==2, shapeDigit2,
IIf(Buy9Bars==3, shapeDigit3,
IIf(Buy9Bars==4, shapeDigit4,
IIf(Buy9Bars==5, shapeDigit5,
IIf(Buy9Bars==6, shapeDigit6,
IIf(Buy9Bars==7, shapeDigit7,
IIf(Buy9Bars==8, shapeDigit8,
IIf(Buy9Bars >9, shapeStar,shapeNone))))))))),colorGreen, 0, H, H*.0015);
if(ShowNumbers)
PlotShapes(
IIf(Sell9Bars==1, shapeDigit1,
IIf(Sell9Bars==2, shapeDigit2,
IIf(Sell9Bars==3, shapeDigit3,
IIf(Sell9Bars==4, shapeDigit4,
IIf(Sell9Bars==5, shapeDigit5,
IIf(Sell9Bars==6, shapeDigit6,
IIf(Sell9Bars==7, shapeDigit7,
IIf(Sell9Bars==8, shapeDigit8,
IIf(sell9bars>9, shapeStar,shapeNone))))))))),colorRed, 0, H, H*.0015);

Sell = Sell13Signal AND NOT BuySignal;
Buy = Buy13Signal AND BuySignal;
Sell = ExRem(Sell, Buy);
Buy = ExRem(Buy, Sell);
PlotShapes(Sell*shapeDownArrow, colorYellow, 0, H, -H*.001);
PlotShapes(Buy*shapeUpArrow, colorBrightGreen, 0, L, -L*.001);

if(StrToNum(NumToStr(BuySignal)))
bgColor = ColorRGB(0,66, 2);
else
bgColor = ColorRGB(66,2, 0);
//*********************************************** TD Points Plotting area *************************************************/
if(ShowTDPoints)
{
PlotShapes(TD_Supply()*shapeSmallCircle, colorRed, 0, H, H*.001);
PlotShapes(TD_Demand()*shapeSmallCircle, colorGreen, 0, L, -L*.001);
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
y0 = StrToNum(NumToStr(ValueWhen(TD_Demand(), L)));
y0 = StrToNum(NumToStr(ValueWhen(TD_Supply(), H)));
}
//*********************************************** TDST Plotting area *************************************************/
// ---------------->>>> Code from Dave <<<---------------------- //
if(ShowTDST)
{
tdstba =Cum(0);
tdstb = Null;
HHV9 = HHV(H,9);
for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) tdstba = Null;

{
if (Buy9Bars == 9)
{
HHV_b = HHV9;
if (HHV_b > C[i-9])
tdstb = HHV_b;
else tdstb = C[i-9];

for (j = 0; j < 9; j++ )
tdstba[i-j] = tdstb;
}
else tdstba = tdstb;
}

tdstsa =Cum(0);
tdsts = Null;
LLV9 = LLV(L,9);
for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) tdstsa = Null;

{
if (Sell9Bars == 9)
{
LLV_b = LLV9;
if (LLV_b < C[i-9])
tdsts = LLV_b;
else tdsts = C[i-9];

for (j = 0; j < 9; j++ )
tdstsa[i-j] = tdsts;
}
else tdstsa = tdsts;
}
Plot(tdstba, "TDSTb", colorBlue,styleStaircase | styleThick|styleDots);
Plot(tdstsa, "TDSTs", colorRed,styleStaircase | styleThick|styleDots);

}
_SECTION_END();

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
_SECTION_END();

ST sir, thank you very much.:thanx: