Confused - Sharekhan vs Icicidirect vs Hdfc vs Kotak vs Indiabulls vs 5paise

which online broker u prefer and why - chose one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I trade with icici for about 4 years now. Havn't been able to change broker as I stay outside India most of time. I would say that ICICI charges are high but its really hassle free. I dont have to worry about receiving payment and those stuff. Till now havn't had problems on that part. But yes its site needs improvment. Its damm slow. Besides no streaming quotes/charts makes it a big no-no for day trading

Hi ash927,

yes with present circumstances for u icici seems best choice....

hi trader_guy,

thanks for the link...

-----------

i have got my kit from sharekhan but not been able to open it even as bcz this week has been too too hectic and probably will get time from next wednesday...not before that...

so once i open m\the kit and trade through them, will post my experience for sure...

thanks guys...

will get back here soon...as of now very busy for next 4 days...

thanks

sunando :D

I'm with icicidirect and actually quite happy.

My brokerage charges have just been reduced from 0.85% to 0.55% because of the good relationship I have built up with them and increasing trade.

Trading is smooth, and the feel of the platform is comfortable.

No hassles, actually.

Haven't really come across any bad reputation stuff.

Can recommend.

You'll need broadband or semi broad-band though, to enjoy the platform.

Uday.

sh50

That's a pleasent surprise, Uday. Maybe things have improved lately because I have read about ICICI being castigated at many yahoo forums. What is the minimum broadband they demand just for my knowledge?Thanks.

Minimum broadband

Hello sh 50,

ICICI doesn't warn us that their platform functions well only with broadband.

Unfortunately, that is the case.

Out of my personal experience, if you have a real 128 kbps line or more, you should be quite confortable with their platform. The emphasis is upon real, not an artificial line, where the band is divided between x number of users.

I suppose things must have improved with ICICI, because I have only been with them since Aug. 2004.

Rgds,

Uday.

I have been quite happy with powerbull software of indiabulls. it is a java based prop software which is quite useful with intraday charts and i am using 128kbps line. i want to know if any of the esteemed members can tip about brockergae lowest charged by any broker. for an active trader, brockerage is cricial and i do not know the best rate to bargain for delivery and intraday. it would be welcome if anybody can put light on lowest brockerage charged by any reliable firm. another piont i would like to know suppose you get a broker firm, who charge you nominal rate, what is the risk of the money kept in the trading a/c, in case some scam like harsad mehta happens? what is the likelyhood of vanishing of a broker and the recovery of money? should we also take into acccount this aspect while selecting a broker? Thanks

sh50

When I tried to sell a straddle today, the sharekhan people informed me that after 17/5/2004 when the mkt fell drastically, they don't allow sale of puts and calls because the risk is unlimited. They said that they did this only with customers with whom they have special relationship which in their words was having regular dealings with them for 6-8 months, deposit of Rs4-5 lakhs or shares of like amount in their dmat account to do simple nifty trading and further the margin required for nifty shares.

I was more upset that they did not inform me earlier though I have been dealing with them for a month. Being surprised, I confirmed with Indiabulls who said that selling required 20% margin instead of the 10% associated with nifty buying. A couple of other local brokers also endorsed the view. What can one do? Though I know many satisfied customers of sharekhan, mine has not been a happy expierience. First, their own man took 3 times the time to open an HDFC account, then they didn't send any report despite repeated reminders and later told me my email id was wrongly registered which is strange because I was receiving other emails from them. It has been almost two weeks and they are not able to tell me how exactly they debit other charges. Since Sharekhan enjoys a good reputation, must be my past karma but if they don't allow selling nifty puts and calls which is something basic, at least they should inform in the very beginning. I made it clear that I wanted an online account for nifty trading.

Last edited:
I had the same problem wit SK. I think the brokers cannot digest the idea of traders making money using spreads for which the real margins will work out pittance! .They want u to speculate loose ur pants , pay them huge brokerages.

hmmm opened my sharekhan kit and first thing changed the password (hope that everyone doeas that bcz u never know if the person sending the password has kept a record)....thereafter went through the demo CD and had a brief idea...seems so good so far...

also had my net banking enabled for HDFC which took 7 days as i had to submit a form...now as far as trading (or better term for me "investing with sometimes trading") goes...i think i need some help before i start...the reason i hardly get as such more than 1-2 hrs max daily to spare for learning the intricacies and basics of stock market...(but as knowledge of law is no excuse for committing crime...so is also for stock market)....

but then again that is why forum of this nature exists and come at our rescue (infact a lifeline for me in stockmarket world) at such critical times...

I think that rather than just learning theory and keep on learning i should take some plunge....now i am only stuck with one thing...

i need stock data daywise monthwise of only say 5-10 companies so that i can study a bit from technical side...for me sitting and mastering technical analysis is not feasible primarily bcz of prior full time commitments to job and certain other things...so i guess i will rely more on intiution rather than on spreadsheets or all technical tools...

so can anyone here say how can we obtain data of only say 5 companies like infosys, reliance and the like just for few months...and from where....
i know there has been a lot of discussion on the data section here in this forum but again i cannot spend so much time to understand all tools and then apply for making investments...its not that i dont want but then i am already having tough time with my present job.

sorry for posting here...and i just want basic data not too much details as such...

hope someone can point in right direction...

thanks
:p
sunando

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

Status
Not open for further replies.