yStock - Realtime Charts & EOD downloads

murthymsr

dear siva,

i hope i am not spamming you with my suggestions. :)

i feel, you may add another yahoo field 'Tick Trend' (yahoo field code is t7, as i remember). this field will display as a text field the changes (+/-/+) in the quotes in the last 7 ticks. this will indicate the short term trend of the stock in the last 7 ticks.

the other one i suggested in my earlier post displays the stock's performance in the last 6 minutes (when the refresh is made at 1 Min intervals). this may serve as medium term trend of the stock.

you may, subject to feasibility, add these suggestions in your to-do-list, to be taken up in the later updates to the program, not necessarily the immediate next.

all the best.
MurthyMSR
aall the best.

murthymsr said:
dear siva,
i hope i am not spamming you with my suggestions. :)
No, not at all, you are always welcome. And most of your suggestions were easy to implement :D , so no probs. And i encourage others to follow in this manner, interactive development. Though no relevance here, check this blog link to see how MS Word won the battle with WordPerfect in mid-90s; The War Of The Word http://blogs.msdn.com/chris_pratley/archive/2004/04/27/120944.aspx this also; http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/27/1715205

yUpdates:-
#.TickerTrend(t7) is added as a selectable column
#.^ symbol checking done.
#.FiboTrader & Metastock compatible file formats in download
#.Upto 32000 chars are allowed in one watchlist (so it can hold about 2400 symbols in a single list)

Working/Blocked on:-
*.Yahoo codes for BidSize(b6) & AskSize(a5) are sometimes conflicting with Bid(b) and Ask(a) codes, if used together in watchlist. Any other Yahooliagns know how to avoid this conflict?
*.Blocked on the multi-threaded downloads option :confused:
*.ComboList of NSE & BSE symbols (thanks to karthik & ger06) with add/edit/export options, will make use of that mdb file.
*.BSE EOD, it is in zipped format, have to distribute some unzip utility

Regards
Siva

hi everyone,
read this forum the first time also tried the s/w yApp12 on downloading the nse eod data i found date descrepancy in the csv file 2020 being reported for first csv thereby 2019, i gave eod backup from 1996 till date, though file name changes with some convention, the date of eod scrips remain the same. is the s/w modifying the csv file? my system date is ok. isn't it wud have been prudent to dnload the csv as it is? i have a very crude method to download the csv files from nse at least in avery fast manner as it is - if there are any takers i'll elaborate - mind u its raw method but it works. another beta bug probably the s/w hang after dnloading 373 file a lot of load on s/w, maybe processing lot many files and open socks buffer (i'm not a s/w expert but side winder). actually i was looking for some intelligent s/w or some kinda intelligence built in but for free alright a long way to advanceget types, or programmable parameters that would make one to interpret the charts in some manner - u know every body has some unique method- this wud have been the hallmark of indian s/w that every body pitched in and encouraged - a very good work indeed. may be this forum advances to that level so the s/w writed wud really have demanded rights and sure benefits.

vbe44bfm said:
hi everyone,
read this forum the first time also tried the s/w yApp12 on downloading the nse eod data i found date descrepancy in the csv file 2020 being reported for first csv thereby 2019, i gave eod backup from 1996 till date, though file name changes with some convention, the date of eod scrips remain the same. is the s/w modifying the csv file? my system date is ok. isn't it wud have been prudent to dnload the csv as it is? i have a very crude method to download the csv files from nse at least in avery fast manner as it is - if there are any takers i'll elaborate - mind u its raw method but it works. another beta bug probably the s/w hang after dnloading 373 file a lot of load on s/w, maybe processing lot many files and open socks buffer (i'm not a s/w expert but side winder). actually i was looking for some intelligent s/w or some kinda intelligence built in but for free alright a long way to advanceget types, or programmable parameters that would make one to interpret the charts in some manner - u know every body has some unique method- this wud have been the hallmark of indian s/w that every body pitched in and encouraged - a very good work indeed. may be this forum advances to that level so the s/w writed wud really have demanded rights and sure benefits.
Dear vbe44bfm,

First of all a very warm welcome to Traderji forum, I noticed that the above post is your very first post.

Second, thank you for testing yStock. I will be in a good position to correct the logic if you can help me a bit more, by providing a sample of the erratic file, and the parameters you set, to get that file. Hey, i am not trying to develop another AdvGet/MS/AB :eek:
And in one of my earlier posts i mentioned that there is a bug in downloading >32k sized BSE files. Are you referring to the same?

Thanks & Regards
Siva

murthymsr

sivavkm said:
Dear vbe44bfm,
I will be in a good position to correct the logic if you can help me a bit more, by providing a sample of the erratic file, and the parameters you set, to get that file.
Siva
hi siva,
vbe44.... is referring to the date in the file downloaded. i downloaded the NSE Bhav copy for 27/07/2006. in the date field, i get the year as 2020-07-27 and NOT as 2006-07-27, sample as below.

symbol open high low close volume date
3IINFOTECH 145 148.55 140.65 141.7 249936 2020-07-27
3MINDIA 1098 1112.35 1098 1106.4 2087 2020-07-27
AARTIDRUGS 86.5 86.95 85 85.35 2177 2020-07-27
AARTIIND 27 29.35 26.8 28.15 214534 2020-07-27
ABANLOYD 919.8 946.4 910 940.95 31551 2020-07-27

thanks vbe44... for pointing out.

all the best,
MurthyMSR

murthymsr said:
hi siva,
vbe44.... is referring to the date in the file downloaded. i downloaded the NSE Bhav copy for 27/07/2006. in the date field, i get the year as 2020-07-27 and NOT as 2006-07-27, sample as below.

symbol open high low close volume date
3IINFOTECH 145 148.55 140.65 141.7 249936 2020-07-27
3MINDIA 1098 1112.35 1098 1106.4 2087 2020-07-27
AARTIDRUGS 86.5 86.95 85 85.35 2177 2020-07-27
AARTIIND 27 29.35 26.8 28.15 214534 2020-07-27
ABANLOYD 919.8 946.4 910 940.95 31551 2020-07-27

thanks vbe44... for pointing out.

all the best,
MurthyMSR
Dear murthymsr,

Sorry to say, i couldn't reproduce this erratic data file, with yStock 1.2. The above data looks like a text file, and I tried many combinations, but couldn't get it. Please tell me the download parameters(date_format, saveAsType), And how did you open the file, in excel or a text editor? If the output file is text/csv , open it using a text editor like notepad/textpad, and check the dateformat.

Can you upload/email the erratic data file, alongwith a screenshot of the download window?

Thanks & Regards
Siva

murthymsr

sivavkm said:
Dear murthymsr,

Sorry to say, i couldn't reproduce this erratic data file, with yStock 1.2. The above data looks like a text file, and I tried many combinations, but couldn't get it. Please tell me the download parameters(date_format, saveAsType), And how did you open the file, in excel or a text editor? If the output file is text/csv , open it using a text editor like notepad/textpad, and check the dateformat.

Can you upload/email the erratic data file, alongwith a screenshot of the download window?

Thanks & Regards
Siva
dear siva,
i give more info on my earlier post on NSE EOD download operation. i have checked again on both versions.

Date From : 27/07/2006 to 27/07/2006
output date format yyyy-mm-dd (this is my windows system date format. i am so much used to this format.)

Save as file type : CSV

with this set-up, i tried with both versions and the results are presented below.

the output date obtained (as read with notepad) is as given below. this test is repeated with both versions.

Version 1.2 build 34: .................. csv file records date :2020-07-27

Version 1.21 build 65:
selected style:
Default: ................................... 2020-07-27
Fibotrader ................................ 07/17/2020
Metastock ................................ 27-jul-2020 ( this file was created in excel, inspite of csv being the chosen format. i tried with the format XLS selected. then also, i got the output file as XLS. (also, please read the mail by me yesterday.)

if you want any further info, please post/mail.

all the best.
MurthyMSR

Last edited:

murthymsr

dear siva,
observation on yStock version: 1.2.1 build 81

i have on earlier occasions, made some observations, some of them are yet to be implemented. hope they are there in your to-do-list. some new ones now.

1) HELP >> ABOUT yStock shows the version no: as above.
but, HELP >> yStock Readme sows version as : 1.2.1 build 65.

2) column sort: i am able to sort on columns with the new feature. but after sorting on some fields, if i want to restore my original order, i cannot. i suggest that the sort cycle may follow the event cycle.

ORIGINAL >> ASCENDING >> DESCENDING >> ORIGINAL.

3) if i have more than 25 stocks, the vertical scroll bar appears. if i want to contuously monitor say, the 30 th stock, after each refresh, the stock at row 1 is getting focus ( stock at row 30 is going out of view. i have to everytime relocate the vertical scroll bar. focus may remain on the stock of my choice.

4) if i select a stock, for special monitoring, the entire row may be shown in different color, so that at any position of the horizontal scroll bar, i will be able to have special focus of the stock of my choice. such row highlighting may not be reset to row 1 after each refresh, as it is happening now.

5) with some stocks, the data looks to be xorrupted. while i could not find any abnormality with NSE stocks, with MSFT, i found data is wrongly placed in cells. i don't know if it is the problem with yahoo. in my sheet i have put MSFT, ^STI,^N225 & a few other international stocks. i feel, if there is a provision in the file menu to copy to clip board, it will help analyse the data further in a excel worksheet & even to mail you the data, in case of eror.

6) i feel, quite a number of times, while the index stocks are 'live', the stock quotes are delayed by 15 Mins. in such cases,an alert may be shown. and it could be a problem with yahoo india also. you may think of getting data from other yahoo sites also on experimental basis. if the problem pertains to the server, you may provide button by pressing which, the update is obtained from a different server rotated in a cyclic manner. by this way we amy reduce the load on any single server too.

thanks for the highly useful stock monitoring program.
all the best.
MurthyMSR

Last edited:
murthymsr said:
1) HELP >> ABOUT yStock shows the version no: as above.but, HELP >> yStock Readme sows version as : 1.2.1 build 65.
My mistake, only the version number, corrected.
2) column sort: i am able to sort on columns with the new feature. but after sorting on some fields, if i want to restore my original order, i cannot. i suggest that the sort cycle may follow the event cycle.
ORIGINAL >> ASCENDING >> DESCENDING >> ORIGINAL.
I will look into that... right now, you may sort on any column by double-clicking on the header column. Like in windows explorer, first sort ascending, then descending.
3) if i have more than 25 stocks, the vertical scroll bar appears. if i want to contuously monitor say, the 30 th stock, after each refresh, the stock at row 1 is getting focus ( stock at row 30 is going out of view. i have to everytime relocate the vertical scroll bar. focus may remain on the stock of my choice.
noted... and modified.
4) if i select a stock, for special monitoring, the entire row may be shown in different color, so that at any position of the horizontal scroll bar, i will be able to have special focus of the stock of my choice. such row highlighting may not be reset to row 1 after each refresh, as it is happening now.
hmmm... it was there inthe prev version. In this version 1.2.1, a hand RowFocusIndicator is there, with blue-coloring on the symbol. Due to popular demand :D , i will restore old method, ie; highlighting the entire row.
5) with some stocks, the data looks to be xorrupted. while i could not fnd any abnormality with NSE stocks, with MSFT, i found data is wrongly placed in cells. i don't know if it is the problem with yahoo. in my sheet i have put MSFT, ^STI,^N225 & a few other international stocks. i feel, if there is a provision in the file menu to copy to clip board, it will help analyse the data further in a excel worksheet & even to mail you the data, in case of eror.
noted... will look into that... As i said in prev posts... if bid & bid size are selected together, sometimes yahoo returns bid value twice... :( , watchlist data export option added.
6) i feel, quite a number of times, while the index stocks are 'live', the stock quotes are delayed by 15 Mins. in such cases,an alert may be shown. and it could be a problem with yahoo india also. you may think of getting data from other yahoo sites also on experimental basis. if the problem pertains to the server, you may provide button by pressing which, the update is obtained from a different server rotated in a cyclic manner. by this way we amy reduce the load on any single server too.
Evenafter logged on to yahoo? i didnt notice that.. will check it out. Different yahoo server option can be added... working on the options screen.

Thanks & Regards
Siva